“Oldest inn in America - and sounds like it when you walk around in it” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Red Fox Inn & Tavern

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middleburg
The Red Fox Inn & Tavern
You added The Red Fox Inn & Tavern to your Saves list
2 East Washington Street, PO Box 385, Middleburg, VA 20118   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Washington DC
“Oldest inn in America - and sounds like it when you walk around in it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Cute and quaint. Small LCD TV in room
2 very small waters upon check in and no where in town after Safeway closes to get more so had to keep refilling in sink (bring water is my point)
Staid in the Jefferson Suite - the most economical of the rooms by having a shared bath in the hallway. Room was perfect size although the bed was full size- bit small for wife and I.
Very loud and creaky floors especially with neighboring guests on all sides. Colonial kind of loud mind you.
Glasses in restaurant smelled like old water.
Service not extremely friendly but it was early - although breakfast is included.
Go eat at Hunters Head 7 miles west on 50- soooo worth it. Ayrshire farms runs it and is all local non GMO livestock and food. Insanely excellent and moderate pricing. Best in area and always busy so make a reservation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Large rooms, appointed with antiques, comfy 4 poster bed. Food was delicious.could have used a small fridge. We were part of a wedding party. I would recommend the Inn for events. Staff were very professional and friendly.

• Stayed September 2012
East Coaster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband, daughter and I made reservations at the Red Fox Inn in Middleburg for a weekend wedding, which was held in another bed and breakfast close by. The Inn is lovely on the outside - as is all of Middleburg - but we were disappointed by the rooms. Positives: comfortable beds, great full breakfast in the main part of the inn, terrific walkable setting. Negatives: very expensive, cheap furnishings and carpeting, old bathroom fixtures. I travel 80% of the time on business and stay in lots of hotels, good and not so good, so I think my expectations are pretty reasonable. I am also a native Virginian and pre-disposed to cut anyplace in my home state some slack. Even with both of these considerations, the Red Fox Inn just didn't measure up to the price tag. It could be so much better!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The Red Fox Inn is a diamond in the rough, it needs a lot of thoughtful work and polish.
The bed quality is OK for the cost of the room. But the rest of the furnishing and even the carpet is right out of going out of business sale for a Motel 6. I could not find a chair or couch that you could sit in and not bottom out or feel the springs or other structure (the Motel 6 must of gone out of business 5 years ago). Historic is one thing but the curled walnut colored contact paper in the drawers does not make up for the fact that it is press board and cheap. The carpet is not historic it is just cheap kind of reminds you of a miniature golf course. All in all a wonderful setting the staff is friendly, the beds are OK to good but for $375 a night you do not expect to have to roll up a wash cloth to place behind the mirror in the bathroom so you can change the angle of the mirror to see something besides your navel. To finish on a positive note the WiFi works great and is not an extra cost.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a fantastic time staying at the Inn and eating dinner in the tavern. When we checked in, they upgraded us to a suite without us asking (which was nice because apparently the room we actually booked doesn't have its own bathroom!). Anyway, the staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. The suite was clean with very modern conveniences given the age of the Inn. Dinner at the Tavern was perfect and delicious (sear scallops and veal piccata). Breakfast was great too. I would recommend both the Inn and the Tavern highly.

One gripe - the online reservation system should better describe the amenities within each room. We're not experienced bed-and-breakfasters so I guess I'll have to call to verify next time.

Room Tip: Call to verify the amenities within a given room - shared bathroom? Full size bed, queen size, etc...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed in the Martha Washington room in the Red Fox building and I could not have asked for better! The room was very quaint with old photos of George and Martha Washington hung on the walls, a very spacious four poster canopy king bed with a comfy duvet. The bathroom was stocked with everything I could have possibly needed, from shampoo to makeup remover pads, and numerous towels. The front desk and night watchman were very welcoming and seemed happy to help in any way they could. I also joined them for brunch in their tavern, and I ended up ordering all three courses from their menu, because the food was just absolutely spectacular! If I could give the Red Fox Inn & Tavern 10 stars I would! I will be recommending to all my friends for sure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had a fabulous time. We stayed at the Martha Washington room: overlooks the street but it is very quiet. Breakfast is good and healthy, especially after our early morning walk through town. Service is excellent. We had dinner at the tavern the first night: delicious food using local produce, and very romantic atmosphere. The place transports you back in time with its typical "country inn" atmosphere. It is full of history: from a Civil War hospital and headquarters, to hosting Jackie Kennedy every time she attended the fox chases.

Room Tip: We had a corner room overlooking the street. Was worked at the beginning but loved it. Very quiet...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Red Fox Inn & Tavern? Share your experiences!