“So much history...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Red Fox Inn & Tavern

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middleburg
The Red Fox Inn & Tavern
You added The Red Fox Inn & Tavern to your Saves list
2 East Washington Street, PO Box 385, Middleburg, VA 20118   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
washington DC
“So much history...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had a fabulous time. We stayed at the Martha Washington room: overlooks the street but it is very quiet. Breakfast is good and healthy, especially after our early morning walk through town. Service is excellent. We had dinner at the tavern the first night: delicious food using local produce, and very romantic atmosphere. The place transports you back in time with its typical "country inn" atmosphere. It is full of history: from a Civil War hospital and headquarters, to hosting Jackie Kennedy every time she attended the fox chases.

Room Tip: We had a corner room overlooking the street. Was worked at the beginning but loved it. Very quiet...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The bedroom was lovely with a canopy bed and white duvet cover and bedding in a quiet, private entrance room in the Stray Fox. The bathroom was fitted with plenty of nice towels and toiletries, and robes were provided. A full breakfast was included. We have stayed here a number of times and always pleased. The bedroom and bath both were spotlessly clean.

Room Tip: Stray Fox rooms are very private.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Coral Gables, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

What a wonderful slice of classic VIrginia hospitality. Charming and helpful staff, sweet surroundings--loved the boxwoods, the flowering shrubs, the four poster canopied bed. While the weekend in Middleburg was busy--it was Sidewalk Sale weekend, the Red Fox was quiet and civilized.

Room Tip: I stayed in #28, a corner room in the Stray Fox building and it was private, quiet and perfectly sun...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I spent two nights at this historic little inn and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had a suite that felt more like a tiny apartment with a hallway connecting a separate sitting room, a bedroom with fireplace and a nice sized, updated bathroom. The staff is very attentive and the dining room serves wonderful food. I had dinner there once and breakfast twice. Everything I ordered was superb. The surrounding streets ooze with historic charm, so it's a nice location for an evening stroll or morning walk.

Room Tip: The website has photos of each room. Very helpful.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed with my children at the inn recently - and we had a great time. They really appreciated the history and we found the evening and morning innkeepers very hospitable. We also loved the big hearty breakfasts that were included with the room price (and they honored this even though we'd "bought" our room through a school auction).

We stayed on the top floor of the main hotel and the room exceeded our expectation (the Skinner room). It was 2 separate rooms with a very comfortable Q bed in one room and a fold out one person sofa bed in the other room which was pretty comfortable too. Rooms and bath were VERY clean and the oatmeal cookies were a nice touch. a TV in each room and room is more historic looking than it appears on the website.

It is a historic hotel so we had to walk up to the 4th floor but the view was great. And room was quiet, even tho it was facing the street. Our only minor complaint is that the room was warm but with windows open it was ok.
Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I don't expect much, just a fair price for what I get. The Inn was nice, it was overpriced, wasn't the most comfortable place to stay, had a decent restaurant (breakfast was included in the price of the stay but the menu was limited to 3 items, the bed wasn't all that comfortable and the web site didn't point out that the room I selected on line was the ONLY room of 16 that didn't have a private bathroom (it was down the hall). It wasn't bad, it just wasn't worth the $187/night we paid for it.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the jefferson davis room if youw ant a private bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I booked the Jefferson room for an overnight stay on a Sunday. I called the inn to confirm my reservation and to ask if I could stop by early before check-in to drop off a few things. I first spoke with Abby, who was cheerful, and more than willing to help me plan this birthday surprise for my boyfriend. When I stopped by on early Sunday, I spoke with Matilda, who let me drop in the room to drop off gifts, champagne and balloons. Later, my boyfriend and I returned, and Matilda gave us our room key and said with a smile, "Enjoy your room. We've upgraded it, free of charge!" We entered the room, which turned out to be one of the suites, and it was beautiful. The housekeeper moved all of the gifts and balloons to the new room and set it up as I'd arranged it earlier. I was so thrilled!

In our room, we found champagne glasses, a second smaller bottle of champagne, and fresh oatmeal cookies at our bedside. The suite was large, on the third floor, and offered a lovely view of the main street of Middleburg below. The bed was soft and lush, with fluffy pillows. Even though fall is moving in, we didn't feel chilly or too hot in our room; the temperature was perfect. The Skinner Suite had a bathroom, bedroom, and a separate sitting room with an additional TV and a sleeper sofa.

For breakfast, we enjoyed a lovely meal in the dining room downstairs. (We ate dinner at the inn the night before, and it was delicious!) We expected a light breakfast, but the menu options boasted an omelet, a two-egg dish with bacon or sausage and toast, or eggs benedict. I enjoyed a HUGE omelet and a delicious pot of tea for breakfast; my boyfriend had the two-egg breakfast with perfectly crispy bacon and fresh orange juice.

If you're looking for a quiet, romantic, and friendly bed and breakfast, don't skip the The Red Fox Inn! From booking to checkout, the staff of the inn were helpful, friendly, and more than willing to go out of their way to ensure that my boyfriend had an enjoyable birthday weekend. I am looking forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: Watch for low ceilings :)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Red Fox Inn & Tavern? Share your experiences!