“A Perfectly Charming Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Travelocity Booking.com
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
36205 Snake Hill Road, Middleburg, VA 20117   |
FL
“A Perfectly Charming Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in the beautifully appointed Mare Suite located in the Carriage House. I had read some reviews to not stay in the Carriage House due to noisy guests coming and going from the restaurant area. We didn't find noise levels to be any problem. I highly recommend finding the guest directory/information book as it outlines many different activities at the Inn and the surrounding areas. Of course, every single host/hostess we spoke with were equally as helpful and genuinely seemed to want one's stay to be perfect. We almost missed the fact that tea and scones were served in the afternoon but the hostess asked if we would like some since we missed tea time.
The room was very comfortable and the walk to the pool area short. The pool is set in such a relaxing and inviting area. The dressing/toilet area had a shower stall, toilet, pool towels, a small fridge with waters, shampoo/soaps and was immaculate.
We didn't explore the walking trails around the property but did go visit the small groupings of animals. I understand the 600 pound rescue pig, Oliver, gets walked by the caretaker!
Breakfast is included using the farm fresh eggs from their own hens. The homemade croissants were buttery and paired with jelly made on site-a culinary treat! Of course there are items like oatmeal, homemade granola and yogurt as additional choices.
We had dinner one evening and decided to go with the prix fixe menu. It was a lot of food but every course delicious. I had the Sea Bass entree and my husband the rack of lamb. Both were very delicious. Chocolate souffles seemed to popular with the diners. We opted for a creme brulee and some sort of chocolate mousse cake with raspberry sauce (the better of the 2 desserts by far). So, now back to the diet!
Overall, we found this inn so relaxing and the hospitality was out of this world.

Room Tip: I would suggest the traveler look at the map of the property on the Inn's website. Each room se...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear fly_momFl,

Thank you for spending three nights with us at the Goodstone. We are truly the hidden gem in Middleburg our location and views just can not be beat. I am please you enjoyed your stay and our staff. The Goodstone staff strives to be the best and make our guest feel comfortable.
Our scones are made fresh daily, so glad you had one! We hope that the next time your in Northern VA you visit the Goodstone Inn and Restaurant again!

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great hospitality, interesting room and fantastic food... we will be back.

To celebrate a birthday, we stayed one night and had dinner. Only regrets were that we didn't arrive earlier and weren't able to stay longer. Dinner was excellent - we went for the four-course meal with Chateaubriand. The soufflés topped of the meal perfectly... Breakfast was equally good, although it was hard to do justice to it after such a large dinner.

We also enjoyed the large, relatively private deck for the Hayloft room - great for both pre-and post-dinner relaxation. Next time we'll plan ahead more and take advantage of other activities available...

Room Tip: If the noise of air conditioners bothers you, the Hayloft may not be a good choice for you on hot da...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Greetings Mnt7fan,

The staff and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Goodstone Inn this past week. The views from the private balcony of the Hayloft are truly special. I hope you were able to enjoy your favorite beverage under the stars the night you were here.

The Chateaubriand is one of my dinner favorites, our chef will be pleased that you enjoyed your entire dining experience, dinner and breakfast. On your next visit you might want to consider selecting a picnic lunch to take with you as you explore the trails and grounds either on foot or on one of our complimentary bikes.

Thank you for staying at the Goodstone Inn, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,

Craig Boyer
Alamo, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My spouse and I stayed at the Goodstone Inn the first weekend in June. It was lovely. I first visited the property in 2008, and had been wanting to return for a long weekend. The charming property and the terrific staff did not disappoint.

We stayed for 3 nights in the Dutch Cottage. Well located near the pool and restaurant, we enjoyed this cute stone cottage, which was built before the Civil War. There are two bedrooms on the second floor and a nice living room and kitchen on the first floor. The room was well appointed, with a large bathroom with a jetted tub. The bed was very comfy and I slept soundly each night.

Breakfast was complimentary and was was terrific. The orange juice is truly freshly squeezed, and the coffee was strong and tasty. The homemade croissants were delicious-light and flaky, they melted in your mouth. One morning we enjoyed fresh baked biscuits, which were also delicious. The egg dishes were excellent, and I enjoyed a mushroom omelet with goat cheese, and crispy bacon.

We ate one dinner at the Inn and it was the best meal that we have had in a long time. And we consider ourselves foodies, and eat out often in the San Francisco Bay area, which is known for its excellent restaurants. So we are no stranger to good food, and this was truly superb. For appetizers, we ordered the Escargot. I loved the spices that were used in the sauce, which gave the snails a truly unique taste. For our entree, my spouse and I ordered the Chateaubriand, which was cooked to perfection and accompanied by a medley of fresh vegetables. Everything was excellent, and we finished the meal with a decadent (and yummy) chocolate soufflé. The wine list was extensive. Like breakfast, the service was excellent. It was truly a memorable meal.

Take advantage of the walking trails, which are all over the property. Seek out Oliver, the largest pig I have ever seen. Rest, relax and enjoy the perfect weekend in a beautiful part of our country, rich in history. And if you have time, go see Oatlands Plantation, which is near Leesburg. One of the friendly staff people recommended a visit, and she was right. Filled with history, it will not disappoint.

My spouse and I look forward to our next trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Pam F,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Goodstone Inn. The staff works hard to make sure that each stay is memorable and special and I am pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit.

The Inn is located in a remarkable setting, close to the hub of Washington D.C. but just a short drive away is the relaxing and scenic tranquility of the horse country of northern, VA.

We look forward to your return the next time you are this side of the country.

Regards,

Craig Boyer
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We just returned from a fantastic weekend at the Goodstone Inn. Everything about the experience was terrific – our accommodations, the grounds, the food and drink, and the staff. We had a delicious lunch and relaxing afternoon by the pool the day we arrived. It helped that the weather was perfect. The pool is adjacent to the ruins of the original manor house, which burned down in the 1930s. The front wall of the house is still standing and covered with ivy. To enter the pool area, you walk through what presumably was the front door of the house (there's an iron gate now). It’s very unique and very cool. There is a large pergola with flowering vines and huge old oaks that provide great shade. There’s also a sunny area around the pool for those who want to sunbathe. The pool sits on top of a hill, providing beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. It’s a great spot. We stayed in the Bull Barn, which exceeded our expectations in every regard. The rooms are big and bright with high ceilings, and every window offers views of the surrounding pastures. It’s rustic elegance at its best. The barn is off by itself -- very quiet and private. It even comes with a resident llama. We loved it. Dinner at the Carriage House was delightful and delicious, and breakfast was excellent too. Both were memorable meals. The staff was super nice, very helpful and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We had a great time and hope to return soon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Greg1319,

It was nice to meet you and your wife during your recent stay. Your description of the famous outdoor pool is spot on! The pool and Woodsy Garden area exceed all expectations for its preserved historical beauty……a must see.

What a great weekend to relax and enjoy a night away with no children, if memory serves me right you both slept in until 9:30, couldn’t do that at home!

I am glad you enjoyed breakfast and dinner at the Goodstone Inn, the country picnics are something we enjoy as well. The culinary team strives to make them all memorable with our farm to table ingredients.

We hope we see you again soon and enjoy the rest of your summer.

W. Craig Boyer

Goodstone Inn and Restaurant
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We just spent a long weekend at the Goodstone Inn and our visit was heavenly! We stayed in the Stallion Suite and it's sumptuous coziness was just what the doctor ordered. The property itself is quite expansive, with wonderful rolling hills & lovely gardens. It was Peony season.....which is one of my favorite flowers.....and they were blooming everywhere!

The pool is located in a very special setting and you can easily spend hours there, it is that relaxing! The walking trails are bucolic, as well as challenging. You will come across plenty of barnyard animals as well as the occasional deer, groundhog or squirrel.....and numerous species of birds.

The restaurant is the 'pièce de résistance'! The food is so delicious that we chose to dine there every evening. The service was top notch, as well. Please don't pass up the inclusive breakfast as it is a divine way to begin your day.

The town of Middleburg is very quaint and there are additional activities nearby to occupy your days. All-in-all, I highly recommend the Goodstone Inn to anyone looking for a romantic, storybook setting and a delicious meal!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear khittinger,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. The Stallion Suite is a great choice and location for those who like to be closer to the restaurant. The staff and I are so pleased you dined with us each night of your stay…what a compliment!

There is no better way to start your day than a wonderfully prepared hearty breakfast from the Goodstone Kitchen where our culinary talent works hard to serve the freshest ingredients each day including those grown right from our farm.

Peony season is a beautiful time of year around the Goodstone as we have so many and use them to decorate inside as well, your visit was when they were in full bloom! Hope you took some home.

We look forward to your return and thank you for visiting.

W. Craig Boyer
Goodstone Inn and Restaurant
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Glorious hotel tucked in the rolling hills of Virginia.
Close to town to shop and eat....so much to choose from there!
Breakfast wasn't spectacular, but the view and service made up for it. We were also the only people there that morning so perhaps the chef wasn't working that day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Ann34618,

Thank you for your kind words. Peace, tranquility, and beauty are all treats the not only we pride ourselves on but characteristics that make Goodstone so special.

We look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

Matthew Daubenspeck
Guest Service Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I can't stop thinking about the most wonderful week I had at Goodstone last month. Middleburg, VA is one of the most special places on this side of the continent, and there is no where I'd rather be, any time of the year to see the seasons change, than at Goodstone.

It's best to arrive during the daytime to appreciate the drive through the charming town center of Middleburg (established in 1787) and then journey on through the rolling hills that gracefully wind through horse farms lined with historic low stone walls. There is something about arriving at Goodstone; the lay of the land, the welcoming staff, the splendid rooms w/ luxurious baths, the meals and the genuine care and attention devoted to the guests that re-sets my own clock and makes me feel so grateful to be alive. While the check-in process is every bit as efficient as one expects at a first rate hotel, I felt walking into the Carriage House sitting room, I was being warmly invited by Goodstone staff members, Austin and Emily, into small private club.

The respectful nature of the guests (from all over the world) Goodstone attracts, with the passing interactions, whether along the hiking trails or coming in for a cocktail before dinner, is really part of the whole wonderful Goodstone experience.

There were couple of things I'd like to highlight from my recent trip. First--the incredible breakfasts prepared by Chef Maxine were exceptional! The intense orange color of the yolk in my Eggs Benedict made me think these must be duck eggs. They were in fact farm eggs that were brought up to the kitchen that morning. That first breakfast was so perfect that I don't think I'll ever forget it. Not to be outdone by the eggs with glorious hollandaise, Chef Maxine made me what she called, "a rainbow omelet" for my next breakfast. Made with those incredible farm eggs, Chef Maxine stuffed the omelet with velvety smoked salmon & capers, and topped it with creme fresh and a heaping spoonful of Osetra caviar. All of the food was delicious and presented lovingly; plated with tender mashe or edible flowers from the garden.

Speaking of the garden...the Goodstone farm tours recommended are fabulous for anyone who loves to garden or for someone who has never seen a spring lamb being born. That was an incredible site that I shared with my sister and her 3 year son. My little nephew could not get enough of the cows, chickens and Oliver, the 750lb pig. He loved the lambs the most, and I can't thank the farm manager Chris Hines enough, and his lovely assistant Seanne, who led our tour and patiently introduced all of the Goodstone animals to us before she had to leave to attend to their new beehive.

I, too had to return to my urban hive after 5 delightful days, and imagine I will be dreaming of Goodstone again as I fall asleep tonight. I did not not want to leave that last morning of my visit, and tried to make each minute last. When I finally had checked out and was slowly walking to my car, Mr. Hines, the farm manager, came up behind me and gave me a carton of a dozen farm eggs he'd just gathered for me to take home. Nothing could have been more perfect. I just can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I think I've stayed in every room at every hotel in Middleburg, VA, including the recently updat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
DCROSS1968,

Thank you for your kind words and on behalf of everyone at Goodstone, it was a true pleasure to meet you and have you as our guest. Usually our patrons talk about the level of service we provide; how intimate yet professional the discussion is. I would have to say that the ease and breadth of conversation and your genuine sense of hospitality makes you one in a million!

We sincerely hope you visit soon and forever know that you will always have friends at Goodstone.

Best regards,

Matthew Daubenspeck
Guest Service Manager

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!