“Wonderful Luxury Inn Near Middleburg, Virginia” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hunt Country Escape
Ranked #2 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Alamo, California, United States
“Wonderful Luxury Inn Near Middleburg, Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My spouse and I stayed at the Goodstone Inn the first weekend in June. It was lovely. I first visited the property in 2008, and had been wanting to return for a long weekend. The charming property and the terrific staff did not disappoint.

We stayed for 3 nights in the Dutch Cottage. Well located near the pool and restaurant, we enjoyed this cute stone cottage, which was built before the Civil War. There are two bedrooms on the second floor and a nice living room and kitchen on the first floor. The room was well appointed, with a large bathroom with a jetted tub. The bed was very comfy and I slept soundly each night.

Breakfast was complimentary and was was terrific. The orange juice is truly freshly squeezed, and the coffee was strong and tasty. The homemade croissants were delicious-light and flaky, they melted in your mouth. One morning we enjoyed fresh baked biscuits, which were also delicious. The egg dishes were excellent, and I enjoyed a mushroom omelet with goat cheese, and crispy bacon.

We ate one dinner at the Inn and it was the best meal that we have had in a long time. And we consider ourselves foodies, and eat out often in the San Francisco Bay area, which is known for its excellent restaurants. So we are no stranger to good food, and this was truly superb. For appetizers, we ordered the Escargot. I loved the spices that were used in the sauce, which gave the snails a truly unique taste. For our entree, my spouse and I ordered the Chateaubriand, which was cooked to perfection and accompanied by a medley of fresh vegetables. Everything was excellent, and we finished the meal with a decadent (and yummy) chocolate soufflé. The wine list was extensive. Like breakfast, the service was excellent. It was truly a memorable meal.

Take advantage of the walking trails, which are all over the property. Seek out Oliver, the largest pig I have ever seen. Rest, relax and enjoy the perfect weekend in a beautiful part of our country, rich in history. And if you have time, go see Oatlands Plantation, which is near Leesburg. One of the friendly staff people recommended a visit, and she was right. Filled with history, it will not disappoint.

My spouse and I look forward to our next trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Pam F,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Goodstone Inn. The staff works hard to make sure that each stay is memorable and special and I am pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit.

The Inn is located in a remarkable setting, close to the hub of Washington D.C. but just a short drive away is the relaxing and scenic tranquility of the horse country of northern, VA.

We look forward to your return the next time you are this side of the country.

Regards,

Craig Boyer

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We just returned from a fantastic weekend at the Goodstone Inn. Everything about the experience was terrific – our accommodations, the grounds, the food and drink, and the staff. We had a delicious lunch and relaxing afternoon by the pool the day we arrived. It helped that the weather was perfect. The pool is adjacent to the ruins of the original manor house, which burned down in the 1930s. The front wall of the house is still standing and covered with ivy. To enter the pool area, you walk through what presumably was the front door of the house (there's an iron gate now). It’s very unique and very cool. There is a large pergola with flowering vines and huge old oaks that provide great shade. There’s also a sunny area around the pool for those who want to sunbathe. The pool sits on top of a hill, providing beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. It’s a great spot. We stayed in the Bull Barn, which exceeded our expectations in every regard. The rooms are big and bright with high ceilings, and every window offers views of the surrounding pastures. It’s rustic elegance at its best. The barn is off by itself -- very quiet and private. It even comes with a resident llama. We loved it. Dinner at the Carriage House was delightful and delicious, and breakfast was excellent too. Both were memorable meals. The staff was super nice, very helpful and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We had a great time and hope to return soon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Greg1319,

It was nice to meet you and your wife during your recent stay. Your description of the famous outdoor pool is spot on! The pool and Woodsy Garden area exceed all expectations for its preserved historical beauty……a must see.

What a great weekend to relax and enjoy a night away with no children, if memory serves me right you both slept in until 9:30, couldn’t do that at home!

I am glad you enjoyed breakfast and dinner at the Goodstone Inn, the country picnics are something we enjoy as well. The culinary team strives to make them all memorable with our farm to table ingredients.

We hope we see you again soon and enjoy the rest of your summer.

W. Craig Boyer

Goodstone Inn and Restaurant
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We just spent a long weekend at the Goodstone Inn and our visit was heavenly! We stayed in the Stallion Suite and it's sumptuous coziness was just what the doctor ordered. The property itself is quite expansive, with wonderful rolling hills & lovely gardens. It was Peony season.....which is one of my favorite flowers.....and they were blooming everywhere!

The pool is located in a very special setting and you can easily spend hours there, it is that relaxing! The walking trails are bucolic, as well as challenging. You will come across plenty of barnyard animals as well as the occasional deer, groundhog or squirrel.....and numerous species of birds.

The restaurant is the 'pièce de résistance'! The food is so delicious that we chose to dine there every evening. The service was top notch, as well. Please don't pass up the inclusive breakfast as it is a divine way to begin your day.

The town of Middleburg is very quaint and there are additional activities nearby to occupy your days. All-in-all, I highly recommend the Goodstone Inn to anyone looking for a romantic, storybook setting and a delicious meal!

Dear khittinger,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. The Stallion Suite is a great choice and location for those who like to be closer to the restaurant. The staff and I are so pleased you dined with us each night of your stay…what a compliment!

There is no better way to start your day than a wonderfully prepared hearty breakfast from the Goodstone Kitchen where our culinary talent works hard to serve the freshest ingredients each day including those grown right from our farm.

Peony season is a beautiful time of year around the Goodstone as we have so many and use them to decorate inside as well, your visit was when they were in full bloom! Hope you took some home.

We look forward to your return and thank you for visiting.

W. Craig Boyer
Goodstone Inn and Restaurant
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Glorious hotel tucked in the rolling hills of Virginia.
Close to town to shop and eat....so much to choose from there!
Breakfast wasn't spectacular, but the view and service made up for it. We were also the only people there that morning so perhaps the chef wasn't working that day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Ann34618,

Thank you for your kind words. Peace, tranquility, and beauty are all treats the not only we pride ourselves on but characteristics that make Goodstone so special.

We look forward to your next visit.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I can't stop thinking about the most wonderful week I had at Goodstone last month. Middleburg, VA is one of the most special places on this side of the continent, and there is no where I'd rather be, any time of the year to see the seasons change, than at Goodstone.

It's best to arrive during the daytime to appreciate the drive through the charming town center of Middleburg (established in 1787) and then journey on through the rolling hills that gracefully wind through horse farms lined with historic low stone walls. There is something about arriving at Goodstone; the lay of the land, the welcoming staff, the splendid rooms w/ luxurious baths, the meals and the genuine care and attention devoted to the guests that re-sets my own clock and makes me feel so grateful to be alive. While the check-in process is every bit as efficient as one expects at a first rate hotel, I felt walking into the Carriage House sitting room, I was being warmly invited by Goodstone staff members, Austin and Emily, into small private club.

The respectful nature of the guests (from all over the world) Goodstone attracts, with the passing interactions, whether along the hiking trails or coming in for a cocktail before dinner, is really part of the whole wonderful Goodstone experience.

There were couple of things I'd like to highlight from my recent trip. First--the incredible breakfasts prepared by Chef Maxine were exceptional! The intense orange color of the yolk in my Eggs Benedict made me think these must be duck eggs. They were in fact farm eggs that were brought up to the kitchen that morning. That first breakfast was so perfect that I don't think I'll ever forget it. Not to be outdone by the eggs with glorious hollandaise, Chef Maxine made me what she called, "a rainbow omelet" for my next breakfast. Made with those incredible farm eggs, Chef Maxine stuffed the omelet with velvety smoked salmon & capers, and topped it with creme fresh and a heaping spoonful of Osetra caviar. All of the food was delicious and presented lovingly; plated with tender mashe or edible flowers from the garden.

Speaking of the garden...the Goodstone farm tours recommended are fabulous for anyone who loves to garden or for someone who has never seen a spring lamb being born. That was an incredible site that I shared with my sister and her 3 year son. My little nephew could not get enough of the cows, chickens and Oliver, the 750lb pig. He loved the lambs the most, and I can't thank the farm manager Chris Hines enough, and his lovely assistant Seanne, who led our tour and patiently introduced all of the Goodstone animals to us before she had to leave to attend to their new beehive.

I, too had to return to my urban hive after 5 delightful days, and imagine I will be dreaming of Goodstone again as I fall asleep tonight. I did not not want to leave that last morning of my visit, and tried to make each minute last. When I finally had checked out and was slowly walking to my car, Mr. Hines, the farm manager, came up behind me and gave me a carton of a dozen farm eggs he'd just gathered for me to take home. Nothing could have been more perfect. I just can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I think I've stayed in every room at every hotel in Middleburg, VA, including the recently updat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
DCROSS1968,

Thank you for your kind words and on behalf of everyone at Goodstone, it was a true pleasure to meet you and have you as our guest. Usually our patrons talk about the level of service we provide; how intimate yet professional the discussion is. I would have to say that the ease and breadth of conversation and your genuine sense of hospitality makes you one in a million!

We sincerely hope you visit soon and forever know that you will always have friends at Goodstone.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Goodstone Inn is a charming B&B in a beautiful Virginia setting. We stayed in the Dutch Cottage for one night. The grounds are beautifully maintained, loved all the budding flowers.
In addition, the beds are super comfortable. When returning from our business dinner, we found freshly baked chocolate chip cookies in our kitchen. The breakfast was outstanding with fresh eggs, gorgeous flaky croissants and luscious chocolate chip scones. We did not have time to see the 600LBS rescue pig who is walked every morning by the groundskeeper. Hopefully next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Henriette B,

Thank you for your kind words. Breakfast, cookies and scones are made daily by our wonderful cook, Maxine. Her recipes are in high demand (especially her scone recipe!).

As for Oliver, he will be awaiting (probably in the same spot) for your next visit. We all hope it will be soon.

Oak Hill, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Wanted a nice stay in the Virginia Hunt country with a great meal and quiet setting. We got both. First, it is pricey and off the beaten path, one is good the other not so. We did an overnight for our anniversery and having been to the restaurant once and had seen the place before. We selected one of the suites in the French Farmhouse. Being a Sunday evening the other two rooms were vacant so we had the whole house to ourselves. Bed was good, bathroom nice and big with a jacuzzi tub that worked as promised. The common area when not shared is awesome. Large living room and a porch and patio to set outside on. We used both. The room includes complimentary sodas and water, which is appreciated, especially if you did long walks on the property as we did. The grounds are very accessiable and walking paths were mowed to allow both guidance and ease of walking. Pool area is nice though we did not utilize it.

Dinner was very good, with the duck being especially good. Breakfast was hardy and hot. Small dining room with only a few couples on Sunday evening though they were dealing with a larger group in the Wine Cellar room downstairs. We had eaten in the Wine Cellar on our previous visit and the experience was very nice. They have a new executive chef, who came to greet us when we asked to meet him. I had read that some former patrons were unhappy with the change in dining options, but I did not notice a material change in quality between my two visits under different chefs.

I would also note that the best part of the experience was the staff. From the first greeting at door, the personal attention in showing us our suite; through cocktails, dinner and breakfast, we were treated in a truly professional manner. The service was attentive without being smothering.

I know everyone's experience is different, but for my money we got the weekend we wanted and if you like quiet elegance without over the top opulance, this place can deliver.

happyg68,

Thank you for your kind words and for choosing the Goodstone for your special getaway. We are VERY fortunate to have Executive Chef Ian Dieter and his culinary team on our side. His use of our farm-fresh ingredients in a French inspired menu is truly one of a kind.

We hope to see you on your next anniversary (if not before!).

Guest Service Manager

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!