“Sensational for Every Season--The Good Life Does Not Get Better Than This!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Goodstone Inn & Restaurant

Save Saved
You added Goodstone Inn & Restaurant to your Saves list
Travelocity Booking.com
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
36205 Snake Hill Road, Middleburg, VA 20117   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Sensational for Every Season--The Good Life Does Not Get Better Than This!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I can't stop thinking about the most wonderful week I had at Goodstone last month. Middleburg, VA is one of the most special places on this side of the continent, and there is no where I'd rather be, any time of the year to see the seasons change, than at Goodstone.

It's best to arrive during the daytime to appreciate the drive through the charming town center of Middleburg (established in 1787) and then journey on through the rolling hills that gracefully wind through horse farms lined with historic low stone walls. There is something about arriving at Goodstone; the lay of the land, the welcoming staff, the splendid rooms w/ luxurious baths, the meals and the genuine care and attention devoted to the guests that re-sets my own clock and makes me feel so grateful to be alive. While the check-in process is every bit as efficient as one expects at a first rate hotel, I felt walking into the Carriage House sitting room, I was being warmly invited by Goodstone staff members, Austin and Emily, into small private club.

The respectful nature of the guests (from all over the world) Goodstone attracts, with the passing interactions, whether along the hiking trails or coming in for a cocktail before dinner, is really part of the whole wonderful Goodstone experience.

There were couple of things I'd like to highlight from my recent trip. First--the incredible breakfasts prepared by Chef Maxine were exceptional! The intense orange color of the yolk in my Eggs Benedict made me think these must be duck eggs. They were in fact farm eggs that were brought up to the kitchen that morning. That first breakfast was so perfect that I don't think I'll ever forget it. Not to be outdone by the eggs with glorious hollandaise, Chef Maxine made me what she called, "a rainbow omelet" for my next breakfast. Made with those incredible farm eggs, Chef Maxine stuffed the omelet with velvety smoked salmon & capers, and topped it with creme fresh and a heaping spoonful of Osetra caviar. All of the food was delicious and presented lovingly; plated with tender mashe or edible flowers from the garden.

Speaking of the garden...the Goodstone farm tours recommended are fabulous for anyone who loves to garden or for someone who has never seen a spring lamb being born. That was an incredible site that I shared with my sister and her 3 year son. My little nephew could not get enough of the cows, chickens and Oliver, the 750lb pig. He loved the lambs the most, and I can't thank the farm manager Chris Hines enough, and his lovely assistant Seanne, who led our tour and patiently introduced all of the Goodstone animals to us before she had to leave to attend to their new beehive.

I, too had to return to my urban hive after 5 delightful days, and imagine I will be dreaming of Goodstone again as I fall asleep tonight. I did not not want to leave that last morning of my visit, and tried to make each minute last. When I finally had checked out and was slowly walking to my car, Mr. Hines, the farm manager, came up behind me and gave me a carton of a dozen farm eggs he'd just gathered for me to take home. Nothing could have been more perfect. I just can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I think I've stayed in every room at every hotel in Middleburg, VA, including the recently updat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
DCROSS1968,

Thank you for your kind words and on behalf of everyone at Goodstone, it was a true pleasure to meet you and have you as our guest. Usually our patrons talk about the level of service we provide; how intimate yet professional the discussion is. I would have to say that the ease and breadth of conversation and your genuine sense of hospitality makes you one in a million!

We sincerely hope you visit soon and forever know that you will always have friends at Goodstone.

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Goodstone Inn is a charming B&B in a beautiful Virginia setting. We stayed in the Dutch Cottage for one night. The grounds are beautifully maintained, loved all the budding flowers.
In addition, the beds are super comfortable. When returning from our business dinner, we found freshly baked chocolate chip cookies in our kitchen. The breakfast was outstanding with fresh eggs, gorgeous flaky croissants and luscious chocolate chip scones. We did not have time to see the 600LBS rescue pig who is walked every morning by the groundskeeper. Hopefully next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Henriette B,

Thank you for your kind words. Breakfast, cookies and scones are made daily by our wonderful cook, Maxine. Her recipes are in high demand (especially her scone recipe!).

As for Oliver, he will be awaiting (probably in the same spot) for your next visit. We all hope it will be soon.

Oak Hill, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Wanted a nice stay in the Virginia Hunt country with a great meal and quiet setting. We got both. First, it is pricey and off the beaten path, one is good the other not so. We did an overnight for our anniversery and having been to the restaurant once and had seen the place before. We selected one of the suites in the French Farmhouse. Being a Sunday evening the other two rooms were vacant so we had the whole house to ourselves. Bed was good, bathroom nice and big with a jacuzzi tub that worked as promised. The common area when not shared is awesome. Large living room and a porch and patio to set outside on. We used both. The room includes complimentary sodas and water, which is appreciated, especially if you did long walks on the property as we did. The grounds are very accessiable and walking paths were mowed to allow both guidance and ease of walking. Pool area is nice though we did not utilize it.

Dinner was very good, with the duck being especially good. Breakfast was hardy and hot. Small dining room with only a few couples on Sunday evening though they were dealing with a larger group in the Wine Cellar room downstairs. We had eaten in the Wine Cellar on our previous visit and the experience was very nice. They have a new executive chef, who came to greet us when we asked to meet him. I had read that some former patrons were unhappy with the change in dining options, but I did not notice a material change in quality between my two visits under different chefs.

I would also note that the best part of the experience was the staff. From the first greeting at door, the personal attention in showing us our suite; through cocktails, dinner and breakfast, we were treated in a truly professional manner. The service was attentive without being smothering.

I know everyone's experience is different, but for my money we got the weekend we wanted and if you like quiet elegance without over the top opulance, this place can deliver.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
happyg68,

Thank you for your kind words and for choosing the Goodstone for your special getaway. We are VERY fortunate to have Executive Chef Ian Dieter and his culinary team on our side. His use of our farm-fresh ingredients in a French inspired menu is truly one of a kind.

We hope to see you on your next anniversary (if not before!).

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We booked the Bull Barn for 2 days. It is a private, beautifully restored former mating bull barn from the original farm. It is set amongst the sprawling grazing fields for the sheep and cows. The grounds are spectacular, and waking up early in the morning, witnessing mother nature in all of her splendor was grounding and made me feel wonderfully ALIVE!
We had a couple of glitches in our suite, but thanks to Dana Henry (who is an absolutely outstanding employee)........she went " over and above" to accommodate us in a genuine and caring manner. She made certain that we were happy, comfortable and having a great time.
We loved walking and biking all over the vast property and visiting the sheep, Grayson the llama, Oliver the pig, the chickens and the cows. The included breakfast was so fresh and mouth watering. We also enjoyed our wonderful dinner there as well.
The next time we visit, I would love to spend some time relaxing in the pool area, the setting with the façade of the original house is breathtaking. This is a place that we will definitely be visiting again soon........it is a rare and special place, which takes you back to a time when life was placid and unperturbed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
FallsChurchJordi,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We very much take pride in taking care of our guests and Dana is a wonderful hotelier! We are very fortunate to have her as a member of our team.

Grayson has fully integrated himself as a member of our sheep community and keeps a very watchful eye on his new "kids".

When celebrating your next birthday, we hope to see you back at the Goodstone Inn.

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Goodstone is a wonderfully interesting, relaxing, upscale and comfortable place with lodging options located in several old, classic buildings, large and small, scattered around the large and beautifully maintained estate. The rooms, bathrooms, sitting rooms and furnishings are first class and worth the rather high daily rate. There are several amenities and activities available, one of the most interesting of which for us was a visit to the on-site working farm, where lambs were born on the day of our arrival recently.
Unfortunately, except for breakfast, the dining room and bar service do not live up to the standard that is set by the lodging. Management urges an upscale dress code and prohibits jeans and t-shirts. We like dress codes, the stricter the better, and we dress accordingly, but be prepared do dine with sloppily dressed, jeans and t-shirt wearing slobs in the beautiful dining room. We don't understand why some men dress up for a free wedding reception or church but dress way down when they are paying hundreds of dollars for the night plus a lot for dinners and fine wine. Oh well.
Good news: The website is reasonably accurate. Goodstone deserves five stars even with the dining deficiency because everything else is so great.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
LocalCitizen3939,

Thank you for your kind words. Goodstone Inn is truly one-of-a-kind.

We do ask that dining guests dress appropriately for the restaurant. We hold both service and dining in very high regard, and I apologize the atmosphere was less than our standards. I can assure you this is definitely not a common occurrence. Our guests dine with us because of the fine French cuisine, the fabulous service, and the outstanding ambiance. I sincerely hope to welcome you back to Goodstone in the near future.

Owings Mills, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

After completing our taxes and finding a refund, we decided to spend it on a night at Goodstone. And spend it we did. We booked the Angus suite in the French Farmhouse on recommendation of the sweet girl I spoke to when I made the reservation. Mistakenly, she said it had a steam shower and oversized spa tub – it only had the spa tub. My husband was disappointed – but I told him to get over it. The room was lovely and the public areas in the Farmhouse were great. After dinner at the Inn and our walk back to the room, we started a fire and sat sipping sparkling wine by the fireplace before bed. When we first arrived we took a walk around the barn area as I wanted to see the famous “Oliver the Pig”. OMG!! The head on that pig is as big as – well it is just BIG. He was asleep and we were never able to get him to open his eyes. I really wanted to see the whole pig standing. We got to see several lambs that we just born – very cute. The Inn’s service is exceptional and the property pastoral. We would love to stay there often – but as of 4/15 the lowest weekend rate is $400 and going as high as $800 for ONE night. My husband and I both are working folk and we do splurge now and again – sadly Goodstone will be Never Again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Judy J,

Thank you for your kind words. To be honest, I have been at the Goodstone now for six months and have yet to see Oliver stand! The best time to see him in all of his hoggish glory is feeding time (the only time he is motivated to move). I am also pleased to announce the arrival of Grayson the Llama. He parades stoically around the sheep pen, all the while keeping a mindful eye on his new family.

We are a destination and specially occasion luxury inn set in the heart of horse & hunt country. We love to see guest at Goodstone celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, or even those that want a special getaway from the City (or on the occasion, family). Everyone is welcome and treated as family at the Goodstone Inn.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Once we found the resort we were amazed by the beauty of the property. Very friendly people greeted us as we arrived. We were shown to our room in a separate building. We were surprised that we were sharing the building with another couple. Fortunately the rooms had their own bath facilities. The shared space was very awkward as the other couple, actually two couples over the period of our stay, monopolized the television and kitchen. We did have a few hours during the day to enjoy the porch but otherwise we felt confined to our room. Another issue with the room was all the bugs which we had to deal with. I believe the bugs are referred to as "stink bugs" but whatever they were they were everywhere in our room. They were in the shower light and my wife said one fell off the ceiling while she was getting ready to go out for dinner. I had to clean up several from the carpet in the room. What is the problem with these bugs? Yet another problem occurred with dinner at the restaurant the first night. What a disappointment. The meal was subpar but we found out two days later that their chef and food services manager had left and the replacements were there only a few weeks. This may explain why our expectations for a five star resort and restaurant were not met in any way. One evening after returning from dinner at another restaurant my wife called down at 9:30pm to see if we could come to the bar for a glass of wine. The abrupt answer was no, the bar was closed. Really? there were still people in the restaurant. On the positive side the property is beautiful but shows signs of neglect. It was too cold for the pool to be in service but we were told by management that the pool amenities really were not what they should be. We did walk up to the operational barn/farm and visited with Oliver the overweight pig. We saw new born lambs frolicking in the pasture with their mother and numerous chickens which were the source of our fresh eggs for breakfast. My wife asked if she could get a massage at their new spa facilities which we found out were in the barn at the farm area. Apparently the masseuse is only available on a limited basis and it ended up that she could not be "fit in" for 3 days. That did not work for us but when we returned home, she was able to get an appointment in 2 hours. Back to breakfast, the menu is very limited. You could have eggs or pancakes, no yogurt or other breakfast was available. Even though breakfast was included we went into town to get something different than was available on the menu. So the real question is would we go back to Goodstone, the short answer is no. This is a resort in dire need of updating and until the kitchen issues and other issues with the rooms are dealt with I am afraid that this once gem is only costume jewelry.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!