“Oh to be independently wealthy…” 5 of 5 stars

Travelocity Booking.com
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
36205 Snake Hill Road, Middleburg, VA 20117   |
Owings Mills, Maryland
“Oh to be independently wealthy…”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

After completing our taxes and finding a refund, we decided to spend it on a night at Goodstone. And spend it we did. We booked the Angus suite in the French Farmhouse on recommendation of the sweet girl I spoke to when I made the reservation. Mistakenly, she said it had a steam shower and oversized spa tub – it only had the spa tub. My husband was disappointed – but I told him to get over it. The room was lovely and the public areas in the Farmhouse were great. After dinner at the Inn and our walk back to the room, we started a fire and sat sipping sparkling wine by the fireplace before bed. When we first arrived we took a walk around the barn area as I wanted to see the famous “Oliver the Pig”. OMG!! The head on that pig is as big as – well it is just BIG. He was asleep and we were never able to get him to open his eyes. I really wanted to see the whole pig standing. We got to see several lambs that we just born – very cute. The Inn’s service is exceptional and the property pastoral. We would love to stay there often – but as of 4/15 the lowest weekend rate is $400 and going as high as $800 for ONE night. My husband and I both are working folk and we do splurge now and again – sadly Goodstone will be Never Again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Judy J,

Thank you for your kind words. To be honest, I have been at the Goodstone now for six months and have yet to see Oliver stand! The best time to see him in all of his hoggish glory is feeding time (the only time he is motivated to move). I am also pleased to announce the arrival of Grayson the Llama. He parades stoically around the sheep pen, all the while keeping a mindful eye on his new family.

We are a destination and specially occasion luxury inn set in the heart of horse & hunt country. We love to see guest at Goodstone celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, or even those that want a special getaway from the City (or on the occasion, family). Everyone is welcome and treated as family at the Goodstone Inn.

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Once we found the resort we were amazed by the beauty of the property. Very friendly people greeted us as we arrived. We were shown to our room in a separate building. We were surprised that we were sharing the building with another couple. Fortunately the rooms had their own bath facilities. The shared space was very awkward as the other couple, actually two couples over the period of our stay, monopolized the television and kitchen. We did have a few hours during the day to enjoy the porch but otherwise we felt confined to our room. Another issue with the room was all the bugs which we had to deal with. I believe the bugs are referred to as "stink bugs" but whatever they were they were everywhere in our room. They were in the shower light and my wife said one fell off the ceiling while she was getting ready to go out for dinner. I had to clean up several from the carpet in the room. What is the problem with these bugs? Yet another problem occurred with dinner at the restaurant the first night. What a disappointment. The meal was subpar but we found out two days later that their chef and food services manager had left and the replacements were there only a few weeks. This may explain why our expectations for a five star resort and restaurant were not met in any way. One evening after returning from dinner at another restaurant my wife called down at 9:30pm to see if we could come to the bar for a glass of wine. The abrupt answer was no, the bar was closed. Really? there were still people in the restaurant. On the positive side the property is beautiful but shows signs of neglect. It was too cold for the pool to be in service but we were told by management that the pool amenities really were not what they should be. We did walk up to the operational barn/farm and visited with Oliver the overweight pig. We saw new born lambs frolicking in the pasture with their mother and numerous chickens which were the source of our fresh eggs for breakfast. My wife asked if she could get a massage at their new spa facilities which we found out were in the barn at the farm area. Apparently the masseuse is only available on a limited basis and it ended up that she could not be "fit in" for 3 days. That did not work for us but when we returned home, she was able to get an appointment in 2 hours. Back to breakfast, the menu is very limited. You could have eggs or pancakes, no yogurt or other breakfast was available. Even though breakfast was included we went into town to get something different than was available on the menu. So the real question is would we go back to Goodstone, the short answer is no. This is a resort in dire need of updating and until the kitchen issues and other issues with the rooms are dealt with I am afraid that this once gem is only costume jewelry.

Falls Church, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We booked a night in the Leith room at the French cottage for a Sunday night in April and every detail of our visit was welcoming and luxurious. Even though the inn was booked to capacity, we had excellent service from the pleasant young gentleman who checked us in and brought tea and chocolate chip scones to staff who brought ice to our room within 5 minutes of our call. The french cottage has a rustic charm, the only negative being a few stinkbugs. I was nervous about sharing common areas with other guests but all were quiet and polite. We enjoyed the hammock and outdoor patio. The scenic grounds are perfect for a relaxed, secluded getaway.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear senicole,

Thank you for your kind post and your continued patronage. We are extremely fortunate to have the staff we do, and take great pride in providing top notch professional yet warm service to our guests.

All of our lodgings are luxurious and comfortable. Whether you stay in the “rustic charm” of the French Farm, the intimate setting of the Dutch Cottage, or the classic Manor House, you will enjoy great privacy, serenity, and relaxation.

Thank you again and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed for a quiet getaway after a more hectic week. We booked a regular room and were pleasantly upgraded to a suite. Although it was next to the restaurant, the room was very quiet and comfortable. Nice sized bathroom with great water pressure. The Inn has a nice walking trail circling the property. You'll pass along a creek, through meadows where a groundhog may say hello, and right past cows from the dairy. The cows take little interest in the guests out for a walk. We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant although did have drinks at the very friendly bar. One note - the breakfast menu was the same each day and is heavy on eggs. If you don't or can't eat eggs daily, ask for a substitute and the staff is obliging.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
HikinChick,

Thank you for your post. We strive to remove the stresses of our guests. The pastoral and peaceful farm environment and professional yet personable staff have a lot to do with that. We are extremely fortunate to have both of these assets.

Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed i nThe Warburg Junior suite and were quite pleased. It was very pleasant because we had the whole balcony to ourselves( I am not sure if it would have been as nice if guests were in the room next door).
The gounds are well maintained and the staff is more than pleasant.
The dinner we had was excellent, but expect to pay as much if not more than you would pay at some of the finest restaurants in DC. If you do have dinner there let me recommend the lamb. Possibly the best I have ever had.
The breakfast was quite tasty as well.
I would reccomend comming later in the spring or fall because I would suspect there would be more to do, and the surroundings would be prettier(leaves on the trees, and vines at the vinyards).
My only complaint would be that at breakfast there didn't seem to be enough help. When we got there, no one was around to seat us. A minute or so later a waitress sat us, and things were good(even though it took a while to get our food). Overall it was a pleasant stay and I would come back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliverlevitt,

Thank you for your kind words. We are an exquisite respite from the action of the city. We pride ourselves on our ability to offer top notch accommodations, professional and attentive service, and fine dining.

With this recent hot snap brings about the buds and flowers of summer, and everyone is anticipating the opening of our pool very soon.

I do apologize about the wait for breakfast. This is one of the most important aspects of a guest's stay. Please, when you visit us in the future, know that we have addressed the situation and everything will be up to our high standards.

Thank you again, and looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay here for one night in February 2013 after our wedding. It was the perfect place for a short winter getaway! On the way to the Inn, we stopped first in the down town area of Middleburg (which is only about 10 minutes from the Inn). It's a cute little town, with a bunch of shops & restaurants (although we were there on President's Day, so many were closed--also, I believe some of the restaurants weren't open regularly on a Monday). When we got to the Inn at check-in time (around 3pm), where we were greeted with freshly baked scones and tea. The staff was very courteous and attentive. We were shown our room (we stayed in the Carlyle Junior Suite, which was connected to the Carriage House (where the restaurant and check-in area was). The room is absolutely adorable (and looks exactly like the photos on the website)--very cozy and stocked with a Kerig so we could make tea or coffee whenever we wanted, waters and soda.

We took a walk around the grounds (make sure to walk down near the Bull Barn to see the huge pig!), which was really nice (although I think in the summer there would be even more to do--kayaks, pool, etc).

We had dinner at the restaurant, which was delicious! Our waiter was great and brought us some complimentary champagne, since we were celebrating our wedding. We ended up doing the 3 course prix fixe dinner and everything was absolutely delicious. The cheese plate for dessert was especially good, as was the raspberry souffle. We asked if we could bring our wine over to the fireplace in the reception area to finish, which the waiter said we absolutely could, but unfortunately, the fireplace was turned off by the time we got over there. Still, a very delicious, atmospheric, and romantic dinner!

The next day, it was raining, so after our delicious full country breakfast in the main house (which was only about 20 feet from our room--so convenient!) we sat by the fire in the main house. There is chess to play and also some books, magazines and newspapers.

A great trip--we would definitely go back there! The only thing that was missing was a fireplace in our room. Also, it's a little expensive, but when we had a Living Social deal, so we got it for half price.

Room Tip: The Carlyle Junior Suite was great! Very private and cozy. A horse stable that was converted to a su...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Monica D,

Thank you for your kind words. The Goodstone Inn is a great getaway winter, spring, summer, and fall and I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our Flash Sale. We do these occasionally and hope you visit us again!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Me and my wife just concluded a really nice weekend in Middleburg where we stayed at the Goodstone. We booked a 2 night stay on their "Suite Escape" package about a month ago. We stayed in the Hayloft suite, which is the room directly above the main cottage area, bar and dining room.

The room was truly wonderful. Probably the best part about the Hayloft suite is that you have your own private deck that looks out across the rolling hills of the property. On Saturday morning, it was warm enough for us to enjoy some coffee outside while we read the paper. Inside the room, the bed was nice and the bathroom was enormous. My wife even took a bubble bath on Saturday afternoon. I was a bit worried when booking that being above the restaurant would be noisy in the evenings. It was not. Each night we were in bed by 10pm and we were never interrupted by noise from downstairs.

The staff is especially kind at Goodstone. Austin was the gentleman who checked us in, and he was kind and very obliging. Freddie worked the bar both nights and he was tremendously warm and kind to both of us. We truly enjoyed meeting him and speaking with him.

We had breakfast there each morning. Each time the food was fantastic. I had the omelette du jour both mornings and it was perfectly made each time. The croissants are downright indulgent and amazing, but this morning they ran out and we got the last one! So I recommend getting to the breakfast on the early side to ensure you are able to have your fill of these amazing croissants.

In the evenings, we had dinner in town on Friday night at a relatively pedestrian and not overwhelming French restaurant. On Saturday night, we did stay and eat at the Goodstone. It was good. We were not blown away by the food and based on our experience at breakfast that morning, we expected a bit more. But I don't want to discourage anyone from trying the dining room here for dinner. I misfired on my entree order (went with the duck) and my wife is limited in the foods she can eat b/c she is pregnant (she had the mushroom risotto, no cheese).

We each had soups and those were absolutely phenomenal and well done (an asparagus soup and I had the french onion soup). Dessert was terrific too. More than anything, I enjoyed the atmosphere in the dining room, the courteous and kind service, and I do recommend having a drink at the bar before you head into dinner. It's such a nice room with the fireplace and everything else. It put us in a really relaxing mood.

We'll definitely head back there in a few years and its nice to know there is a truly perfect getaway that is only 50 miles from DC (where we live).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Joe M,

Thank you for your post. The Hayloft is a personal favorite of mine because of the deck and I'm glad the weather was cooperative this weekend for you to be able to fully enjoy it!

Freddy and Austin are great hoteliers and are fabulous hospitality ambassadors. We are very fortunate to have such great staff here. Everyone is eager to help in whatever way possible and to show the beauty of Goodstone.

I do hope to welcome you on your return visit. Maybe in the summer months when the pool is in full swing or in the fall when the foliage is peaking; but no matter when you return, please know you will always have friends at the Goodstone Inn.

Guest Services Manager

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!