Once we found the resort we were amazed by the beauty of the property. Very friendly people greeted us as we arrived. We were shown to our room in a separate building. We were surprised that we were sharing the building with another couple. Fortunately the rooms had their own bath facilities. The shared space was very awkward as the other couple, actually two couples over the period of our stay, monopolized the television and kitchen. We did have a few hours during the day to enjoy the porch but otherwise we felt confined to our room. Another issue with the room was all the bugs which we had to deal with. I believe the bugs are referred to as "stink bugs" but whatever they were they were everywhere in our room. They were in the shower light and my wife said one fell off the ceiling while she was getting ready to go out for dinner. I had to clean up several from the carpet in the room. What is the problem with these bugs? Yet another problem occurred with dinner at the restaurant the first night. What a disappointment. The meal was subpar but we found out two days later that their chef and food services manager had left and the replacements were there only a few weeks. This may explain why our expectations for a five star resort and restaurant were not met in any way. One evening after returning from dinner at another restaurant my wife called down at 9:30pm to see if we could come to the bar for a glass of wine. The abrupt answer was no, the bar was closed. Really? there were still people in the restaurant. On the positive side the property is beautiful but shows signs of neglect. It was too cold for the pool to be in service but we were told by management that the pool amenities really were not what they should be. We did walk up to the operational barn/farm and visited with Oliver the overweight pig. We saw new born lambs frolicking in the pasture with their mother and numerous chickens which were the source of our fresh eggs for breakfast. My wife asked if she could get a massage at their new spa facilities which we found out were in the barn at the farm area. Apparently the masseuse is only available on a limited basis and it ended up that she could not be "fit in" for 3 days. That did not work for us but when we returned home, she was able to get an appointment in 2 hours. Back to breakfast, the menu is very limited. You could have eggs or pancakes, no yogurt or other breakfast was available. Even though breakfast was included we went into town to get something different than was available on the menu. So the real question is would we go back to Goodstone, the short answer is no. This is a resort in dire need of updating and until the kitchen issues and other issues with the rooms are dealt with I am afraid that this once gem is only costume jewelry.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Goodstone Inn & Restaurant in Middleburg, Virginia, is a luxurious country inn and French restaurant in the heart of Virginia's wine and horse country. Drawing inspiration and purpose from its location on 265 acres of rolling hills and farmland, the Restaurant at Goodstone provides its guests with an unparalleled farm-to-table dining experience. The luxury country inn offers 18 elegantly decorated guest rooms and suites in six distinctive dwellings, including the Carriage House (main building), Dutch Cottage, French Farm Cottage, Spring House, Manor House and Bull Barn Cottage. Other amenities include Goodstone's country spa, wine cellar dining room, horse-themed Carriage House bar, exquisite heated pool set beneath the Wisteria-covered facade of the Old Mansion, and working farm. Goodstone Inn & Restaurant offers the charming ambiance of an 18th century country estate with the convenience, luxury and service expected by 21st century guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Goodstone Inn & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Goodstone Inn & Restaurant Hotel Middleburg
- Goodstone Inn And Restaurant