“Nice Weekend in Middleburg” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #2 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice Weekend in Middleburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Me and my wife just concluded a really nice weekend in Middleburg where we stayed at the Goodstone. We booked a 2 night stay on their "Suite Escape" package about a month ago. We stayed in the Hayloft suite, which is the room directly above the main cottage area, bar and dining room.

The room was truly wonderful. Probably the best part about the Hayloft suite is that you have your own private deck that looks out across the rolling hills of the property. On Saturday morning, it was warm enough for us to enjoy some coffee outside while we read the paper. Inside the room, the bed was nice and the bathroom was enormous. My wife even took a bubble bath on Saturday afternoon. I was a bit worried when booking that being above the restaurant would be noisy in the evenings. It was not. Each night we were in bed by 10pm and we were never interrupted by noise from downstairs.

The staff is especially kind at Goodstone. Austin was the gentleman who checked us in, and he was kind and very obliging. Freddie worked the bar both nights and he was tremendously warm and kind to both of us. We truly enjoyed meeting him and speaking with him.

We had breakfast there each morning. Each time the food was fantastic. I had the omelette du jour both mornings and it was perfectly made each time. The croissants are downright indulgent and amazing, but this morning they ran out and we got the last one! So I recommend getting to the breakfast on the early side to ensure you are able to have your fill of these amazing croissants.

In the evenings, we had dinner in town on Friday night at a relatively pedestrian and not overwhelming French restaurant. On Saturday night, we did stay and eat at the Goodstone. It was good. We were not blown away by the food and based on our experience at breakfast that morning, we expected a bit more. But I don't want to discourage anyone from trying the dining room here for dinner. I misfired on my entree order (went with the duck) and my wife is limited in the foods she can eat b/c she is pregnant (she had the mushroom risotto, no cheese).

We each had soups and those were absolutely phenomenal and well done (an asparagus soup and I had the french onion soup). Dessert was terrific too. More than anything, I enjoyed the atmosphere in the dining room, the courteous and kind service, and I do recommend having a drink at the bar before you head into dinner. It's such a nice room with the fireplace and everything else. It put us in a really relaxing mood.

We'll definitely head back there in a few years and its nice to know there is a truly perfect getaway that is only 50 miles from DC (where we live).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Joe M,

Thank you for your post. The Hayloft is a personal favorite of mine because of the deck and I'm glad the weather was cooperative this weekend for you to be able to fully enjoy it!

Freddy and Austin are great hoteliers and are fabulous hospitality ambassadors. We are very fortunate to have such great staff here. Everyone is eager to help in whatever way possible and to show the beauty of Goodstone.

I do hope to welcome you on your return visit. Maybe in the summer months when the pool is in full swing or in the fall when the foliage is peaking; but no matter when you return, please know you will always have friends at the Goodstone Inn.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Bethesda, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I bought a Living Social stay at the Goodstone Inn and selected the Warburg room for our one night stay. The evening before our stay we were called by the Inn and told that the boiler was out for that area of the property and they switched us to one of the two rooms (the Magnolia) in the Dutch Cottage as there was no one staying in the other room. That worked out fine, but it would not have been good if strangers were in the other room as the two rooms share the living room and kitchen downstairs. It would, however, work well for two couples who are close friends.

The one complaint we had was the claw-footed bath tub because it was very difficult to enjoy a shower and to get in and out of.

The included breakfast was ample with some nice choices.

The Living Social deal included a small meal credit for dinner, which when used made the unusually high costs of the entrees and wine a bit more reasonable, but still expensive for what was not extraordinary dishes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I would also like to thank you for staying in the Dutch Cottage. Given the historic nature of our property and the originality of the heating system, some issues are likely to occur but we have corrected the issues and updated the system; but thank you once again.

I would also like to second your sentiments about the Dutch Cottage being a great option for two couples or a family. The cozy atmosphere of the Dutch and the proximity to the Inn's facilities make this a very attractive house.

I am also glad the dining voucher was used but disappointed to here your experience was less than you had hoped. We do strive for excellence in every regard; atmosphere, decor, and cuisine included. We are revamping the menu to reflect the produce that we will be harvesting from the farm soon and I hope that you come back and try our spring offerings.

Thank you again!

Guest Service Manager
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Goodstone is a beautiful property in the Middleburg, VA horse country. The Inn is located on 265 acres with a walking trail around the farm and inn buildings, so there is plenty of opportunity to walk off the calories from the delicious meals. We stayed in the Stallion Suite in the Carriage House - a large, very comfortable space - informal luxury. Tea and excellent scones are offered as a prelude to an outstanding meal. The staff here are all wonderful, friendly and helpful. Prior to checkin we srolled around Middleburg - always fun to do when in the area. Just driving around this part of Virginia is a pleasure, passing the miles of stone fencing along the roadways. We live close enough that we will certainly plan to return to this lovely Inn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you were able to utilize our amenities to the fullest. These amenities will be more abundant with the gorgeous pool, mountain biking, canoeing, and bird watching as we approach spring. Plenty to look forward to and enjoy on your next visit. We hope to welcome you back to the Goodstone Inn soon.

Matt
Ossining
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Died and gone to heaven! Thank you Snique Away for introducing us to one of Conde Nast's raves.
Gorgeous property, lovely accommodations, all private,beautiful decor and exemplary service. Well worth the time and the money. We stayed in one of a number of private cottages, small homes on the estate..very French, very beautiful. It could accommodate 3 couples , though outside of one night we had the place all to our selves. The fire was stoked and warm cookies were provided..for even more comfort.The complementary bottle of wine in our room was delightfully enjoyed sitting in front of our parlor fire. Breakfast was lovely, dinner was wonderful and dishes utilized many local ingredients. The chef toured many tables ,including ours, during dinner...nice! We walked the grounds, chatted with their people and relaxed on a whole new level. Absolutely lovely for couples of any age.

Room Tip: House styles vary considerably. Ask for descriptions...we looked at a few others..and one may be rus...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. The French Farm Cottage is a beautiful house nestled in the rolling hills of Goodstone and is consistently a staff favorite. There is just something about the wood fireplaces, the exposed wood beams, and waking up with a cup of coffee in hand as you view the sheep graze that tells you "I can fully relax here". Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Guest Services Manager
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My boyfriend took me for a night for a belated Valentine's Day getaway. He has been to Goodstone a few times and always raved about his experience and I totally get it. We will be going back. We were very excited when we were upgraded at the last minute from a room in the Spring House, to the Stallion Suite in the Carriage House (the mack daddy suite). The room was absolutely wonderful. I immediately changed into my robe to begin formally relaxing. The views were fantastic, and I loved the bay windows everywhere. We took them up on their tea offer and Austin brought us both a selection of teas and scones, which were a really nice little touch. We immediately felt at home and did not need to turn the TV on to relax (we are big TV watchers).
My only complaint was that there was no turn down service. Normally I would feel that I was being bratty and knit-picky for complaining about this, however, it was advertised as part of the included services and for a $500 a night suite, I think it is important to deliver on your promises. I would not have noticed its absence had it not been previously mentioned to me or had I looked online beforehand. My boyfriend's favorite part during his previous trips was the turn-down service, he described his return to the room as it being like there were "the most trusted little elves tidying everything up for you." I think that part of what you are paying into at Goodstone is the high quality of service and the full pampering/getaway experience. It really is a shame that turn-down service is something that is going by the wayside. In the very least, do not put it on the website as an included service, and update the book in the room so that it is not further advertised. It made me feel as if we were deemed less important or less valued. The other thing about the lack of turn-down service that I question, is what were we supposed to do with the leftover goods, leave them outside of our room? It's not like we had a kitchen. It just left a sour taste in my mouth. That being said, this is probably a good problem to have (a good problem is still a problem).
The breakfast that they served conveniently only a few steps from our room was INCREDIBLE. We had keish with mushrooms and asparagus and a sausage patty. Every single thing on my plate was incredible. I cannot wait to go back to Goodstone when the dining room is open and experience the food again. I don't even like keish and I ate all of mine and half of my boyfriend's. The bed and sheets are also absolutely lovely and easy to dive into for a nice long rest. They were crisp and clean but were very inviting. It was also nice to have the option of having big bay windows, or being able to shut the curtains and be cozy. (It was a little awkward coming home and expecting the turn down service though, because we left all of the curtains open and would have shut them had we known that we would come back to it that way.) That being said, we loved our trip. It was a wonderful getaway and we are saving up for our next trip back. The staff was accommodating and that was very appreciated. I am excited to walk the grounds upon our return, to eat their food, and to reclaim my place in their four post bed.

Room Tip: If you can, plan for the middle of the week. Rates are much more negotiable at this point and someti...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind words. We take pride in not only our culinary offerings but our intimate, friendly, and warm service as well. I would also like to apologize for the Turn Down Service as well. We hold ourselves to a very high standard and is disappointing to learn that we were not able to meet both your and our standards. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. The trees are beginning to bud and some flowers are making their way out of the ground. Spring is truly a magical time here at the Goodstone, and it would be our pleasure to experience this marvelous season with you.

Guest Service Manager
Stevensville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The property was amazing! The grounds were beautiful, the crackling fire - so welcoming and the staff soo ingratiating! The food was tantalizing and soaking in the outside jacuzi was just what I wanted to unwind after the holidays.

Room Tip: The Stallion Suite was quaint, spacious and so convenient.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I went here when we were just dating a couple years ago. But we've had people tell us who went recently just how much they loved it too. We stayed in the cottage in the main building right above the sitting area. It was just the best getaway. We traveled in July and stayed on a weekday around July 4th. It was not very crowded. We loved the tea when we arrived and our room was beautiful. The bathroom had an amazing garden soaking tub. The decor was blue traditional decor which I loved. We had a large walk out balcony and deck too! And the dinner! I still talk about how this was my favorite dining experience. We enjoyed the 7-9 course meal - every inventive and creative bite of it! The grounds are beautiful and we enjoyed the pool and the hike.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!