“Wonderful Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Virginia
“Wonderful Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Goodstone is a beautiful property in the Middleburg, VA horse country. The Inn is located on 265 acres with a walking trail around the farm and inn buildings, so there is plenty of opportunity to walk off the calories from the delicious meals. We stayed in the Stallion Suite in the Carriage House - a large, very comfortable space - informal luxury. Tea and excellent scones are offered as a prelude to an outstanding meal. The staff here are all wonderful, friendly and helpful. Prior to checkin we srolled around Middleburg - always fun to do when in the area. Just driving around this part of Virginia is a pleasure, passing the miles of stone fencing along the roadways. We live close enough that we will certainly plan to return to this lovely Inn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you were able to utilize our amenities to the fullest. These amenities will be more abundant with the gorgeous pool, mountain biking, canoeing, and bird watching as we approach spring. Plenty to look forward to and enjoy on your next visit. We hope to welcome you back to the Goodstone Inn soon.

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Ossining
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Died and gone to heaven! Thank you Snique Away for introducing us to one of Conde Nast's raves.
Gorgeous property, lovely accommodations, all private,beautiful decor and exemplary service. Well worth the time and the money. We stayed in one of a number of private cottages, small homes on the estate..very French, very beautiful. It could accommodate 3 couples , though outside of one night we had the place all to our selves. The fire was stoked and warm cookies were provided..for even more comfort.The complementary bottle of wine in our room was delightfully enjoyed sitting in front of our parlor fire. Breakfast was lovely, dinner was wonderful and dishes utilized many local ingredients. The chef toured many tables ,including ours, during dinner...nice! We walked the grounds, chatted with their people and relaxed on a whole new level. Absolutely lovely for couples of any age.

Room Tip: House styles vary considerably. Ask for descriptions...we looked at a few others..and one may be rus...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. The French Farm Cottage is a beautiful house nestled in the rolling hills of Goodstone and is consistently a staff favorite. There is just something about the wood fireplaces, the exposed wood beams, and waking up with a cup of coffee in hand as you view the sheep graze that tells you "I can fully relax here". Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Matthew Daubenspeck
Guest Services Manager
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My boyfriend took me for a night for a belated Valentine's Day getaway. He has been to Goodstone a few times and always raved about his experience and I totally get it. We will be going back. We were very excited when we were upgraded at the last minute from a room in the Spring House, to the Stallion Suite in the Carriage House (the mack daddy suite). The room was absolutely wonderful. I immediately changed into my robe to begin formally relaxing. The views were fantastic, and I loved the bay windows everywhere. We took them up on their tea offer and Austin brought us both a selection of teas and scones, which were a really nice little touch. We immediately felt at home and did not need to turn the TV on to relax (we are big TV watchers).
My only complaint was that there was no turn down service. Normally I would feel that I was being bratty and knit-picky for complaining about this, however, it was advertised as part of the included services and for a $500 a night suite, I think it is important to deliver on your promises. I would not have noticed its absence had it not been previously mentioned to me or had I looked online beforehand. My boyfriend's favorite part during his previous trips was the turn-down service, he described his return to the room as it being like there were "the most trusted little elves tidying everything up for you." I think that part of what you are paying into at Goodstone is the high quality of service and the full pampering/getaway experience. It really is a shame that turn-down service is something that is going by the wayside. In the very least, do not put it on the website as an included service, and update the book in the room so that it is not further advertised. It made me feel as if we were deemed less important or less valued. The other thing about the lack of turn-down service that I question, is what were we supposed to do with the leftover goods, leave them outside of our room? It's not like we had a kitchen. It just left a sour taste in my mouth. That being said, this is probably a good problem to have (a good problem is still a problem).
The breakfast that they served conveniently only a few steps from our room was INCREDIBLE. We had keish with mushrooms and asparagus and a sausage patty. Every single thing on my plate was incredible. I cannot wait to go back to Goodstone when the dining room is open and experience the food again. I don't even like keish and I ate all of mine and half of my boyfriend's. The bed and sheets are also absolutely lovely and easy to dive into for a nice long rest. They were crisp and clean but were very inviting. It was also nice to have the option of having big bay windows, or being able to shut the curtains and be cozy. (It was a little awkward coming home and expecting the turn down service though, because we left all of the curtains open and would have shut them had we known that we would come back to it that way.) That being said, we loved our trip. It was a wonderful getaway and we are saving up for our next trip back. The staff was accommodating and that was very appreciated. I am excited to walk the grounds upon our return, to eat their food, and to reclaim my place in their four post bed.

Room Tip: If you can, plan for the middle of the week. Rates are much more negotiable at this point and someti...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind words. We take pride in not only our culinary offerings but our intimate, friendly, and warm service as well. I would also like to apologize for the Turn Down Service as well. We hold ourselves to a very high standard and is disappointing to learn that we were not able to meet both your and our standards. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. The trees are beginning to bud and some flowers are making their way out of the ground. Spring is truly a magical time here at the Goodstone, and it would be our pleasure to experience this marvelous season with you.

Matthew Daubenspeck
Guest Service Manager
Stevensville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The property was amazing! The grounds were beautiful, the crackling fire - so welcoming and the staff soo ingratiating! The food was tantalizing and soaking in the outside jacuzi was just what I wanted to unwind after the holidays.

Room Tip: The Stallion Suite was quaint, spacious and so convenient.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I went here when we were just dating a couple years ago. But we've had people tell us who went recently just how much they loved it too. We stayed in the cottage in the main building right above the sitting area. It was just the best getaway. We traveled in July and stayed on a weekday around July 4th. It was not very crowded. We loved the tea when we arrived and our room was beautiful. The bathroom had an amazing garden soaking tub. The decor was blue traditional decor which I loved. We had a large walk out balcony and deck too! And the dinner! I still talk about how this was my favorite dining experience. We enjoyed the 7-9 course meal - every inventive and creative bite of it! The grounds are beautiful and we enjoyed the pool and the hike.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
WESTMINSTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We took friends there for dinner following a nearby equestrian event, we had dinner but did not stay on the property. We went with the wine pairing option based upon the foundation of a prior wonderful experience of our own and upon reinforcement of same from other friends that had dined there. I shall not try to describe this experience except to say that the exquisite things that hit our collective palates were some of the very best ever....for all of us. Let the chef be your guide and go with the suggested wines and you'll spend a bit of time in culinary heaven! let your health insurance worry about covering the ER costs of tongue repair, less deductable, of course.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We returned to the Goodstone this weekend and once again we had a wonderful time. The staff was very helpful and attentive, both Amy and David made special efforts to make sure our visit was as delightful as ever. The kitchen was undergoing renovation, which required it to be closed for dinner on the second night of our stay, but instead of being an inconvenience this turned out to be a stroke of luck. The kitchen staff prepared a special dinner for us and delivered it to our room, so we enjoyed a romantic dinner in front of a cozy fire in the Bull Barn Cottage.

The Bull Barn Cottage is the newest of the Goodstone's rooms and is best described as a luxurious rustic cottage. The cottage is a converted barn located near the working heart of the Inn's farming operation. The Goodstone's owner and general manger, Mark Betts, is in the process of creating a sustainable farming operation at the Goodstone. The goal is to raise as much of the produce and protein for the Goodstone's restaurant as possible on site, creating a true "farm to table" dining experience.

This was our first opportunity to meet Mark in person and it is clear that the emphasis placed on attention to detail and personal service found at the Goodstone starts at the top.

We again found the Goodstone to be a delightfully restful and romantic country getaway.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleburg
Poplar Springs Inn & Spa
Lansdowne Resort
Lansdowne Resort
#4 of 7 in Leesburg
4.0 of 5 stars 794 reviews

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!