“An Evening I will Never Forget!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hunt Country Escape
Ranked #2 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Prince George
“An Evening I will Never Forget!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I work in the hospitality business and I was very impressed with everything! I was there with a group from the hotel I work at for a Christmas Get Together. The Staff were wonderful and the food was Awesome!! We tried several of the appetizers and all were very good! We all really enjoyed the wine that the waiter suggested to us. Me, as not a wine drinker needed some help choosing which wine would taste the best. The choice that he suggested was PERFECT!! They gave us cheese and crackers to eat while we waited for the rest of our Party to arrive. For dinner I had the "LE CHATEAUBRIAND BOUQUETIER ET SA SAUCE BÉARNAISE". It was amazing!!! The next morning we all got together and had a wonderful breakfast. Again, the staff were all wonderful! I will always remember my stay at the Goodstone Inn and Restaurant. I plan on going back again one day!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We spend a wonderful night in the Bull Pen suite. Lovely accommodation with great soaking tub and steam shower, fireplace and cozy living room. The staff was outstanding and the meals were delicious. We want to return when the weather is warm and use the pool.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

There is no other place that we like to take a quick weekend trip locally. Fantastic facility and service. From the minute you check-in everyone bends over backwards to help. They even provided me an extension cord so I could plug in my EV overnight.

The restaurant albeit pricey is first class. I would definitely recommend at least one dinner there during your stay.

DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We just spent the weekend at Goodstone Inn. We stayed in the Manor House, which was lovely and perfect. Unlike other Goodstone options, this house is some distance from the main house and restaurant, but the opportunity to walk for 20-30 minutes across their property prior to dining is part of the reason we escaped to the country. And to boot, the Manor House is on a hill overlooking the others and fields.
The only constructive criticism I have is that Goodstone still has some room to improve vis-a-vis hospitality. Unlike some nearby inns, e.g. Ashby or Clifden, it lacks a central innkeeper type with truly gracious country manners. So, for example, at my 50th birthday (with advance notice to them) we were led to an oversized table overlooking the swinging kitchen door, even after waiting past our reservation time for 20 minutes. It was tacky. Likewise, the grand waiting room was lacking a lit fire though the night was cool (a lovely one was waiting for us back at the manor house). Our morning waitress, too, lacked the degree of hospitality one might wish for in a top rated country inn. To be sure, everyone was very nice -- but that special and elegant touch was missing. On food, too, we learned that Goodstone just changed chefs. This made much sense to us because the food was overly sweet and we thought lacked the refinement we expected.
Still, it was lovely and a very nice place to stay. Though not just now five stars.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We just returned from a lovely stay at the Goodstone Inn. Upon our arrival, there was a huge hot air balloon hovering right over the inn. It was absolutely magical! We were then greeted and shown to our room - the Master Suite - located in the Manor House.

The property is truly idyllic. We wanted a a rural retreat and we got it there, for sure! The area reminded us a bit of Ireland - green rolling hills, stone walls and wooden fences, horses and cows everywhere - truly peaceful.

There is a beautiful barn on the property, as well as an organic garden, chickens, a pig and sheep. We also loved waking up to the sounds of singing birds and mooing cows each morning and seeing horses right outside our window. Our bed was a queen bed which is never our preference. However, we managed just fine and appreciated that the bed was a lovely antique four-poster bed - and those are usually queen-sized. Most of the rooms seem to be queen beds with the exception of a few.

Unfortunately, the "heated" pool wasn't available while we were there, and that was a disappointment to us. Even though it was chilly outside, we were prepared for a swim in the heated water. We did enjoy walking around the property and, though we felt nestled in the countryside, it was easy enough to drive to surrounding areas and activities. We enjoyed a lovely day trip to Harper's Ferry, for instance, which was only about 40 minutes away by car.

There are several houses on the property with several rooms and suites in each. We stayed in the Master Room in the Manor House and found it to be truly beautiful with old world elegance. It has a gorgeous view and the furnishings are refined and gracious with antiques and lovely fabrics. The house is in need of some TLC, however. There is some peeling paint in places that needs to be attended to. We saw the other rooms in the Manor House and the Stuart Suite is the most updated and spacious. We will plan on staying in that room the next time, even though our room was lovely.

We ate some fabulous meals at the restaurant. At dinner, we had the tastiest sea bass we've ever eaten anywhere. The same was true for the blueberry pancakes and eggs benedict at breakfast. We also enjoyed the friendly waiters in the restaurant.

Our room itself was spotless, but we opted to open our windows in order to enjoy the fresh air. We were disappointed to discover dead bugs and peeling paint between the windows and the screens, as well as peeling paint on the bathroom radiator. I'm not one to nitpick but I point it out because it is such a special and we were very happy with our room. For the price, however, I don't expect perfection but I do expect such details to be attended to. As I mentioned before, the Stuart Suite is very fresh and updated and it could be that they are in the process of updating the other rooms in the Manor House.

We truly enjoyed our stay and plan on returning next fall or possibly even sooner in the spring of next year. One suggestion I would make to the hotel is that they update their website to include more pictures. The website is nice but it doesn't do the property justice and the pictures aren't readily apparent. You have to dig around a bit on the website to get a good idea of the beauty of the place and, even then, the pictures don't capture it. I was really amazed to see how beautiful it was compared to what I saw on the website.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My daughter, her friend, and I traveled to Middleburg Virginia for the International Goldcup. We stayed at Goodstone Inn. Even the drive to this place was a fabulous experience as we passed absolutely beautiful farm after beautiful farm along the peaceful country road. We arrived just after dark and were immediately made to feel welcome. We stayed in the bull barn. It was perfect! A rustic, country feel with all the updated amenities. There was a complimentary bottle of wine, sodas, and water in our room. Fire glowed as we walked in the lounge for dinner. Dinner was fabulous with very friendly service. Breakfast was also very delicious! Took a beautiful walk on the trail around the farm that led us by the river and through the meadow. The views were gorgeous with the colorful fall leaves at their peak. Staying here just made our trip! I cant wait to introduce my parents to this place. Not only will they love this beautiful farm and delicious complimentary breakfast - It will be the perfect place for my husband and dad to stay while us ladies go small town shopping in the beautiful quaint town of Middleburg since we love the small town shops and they love the quiet of the farm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
baltimore, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here for one night with my boyfriend in September. My only regret is not staying more than one night!

We arrived to fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. It was probably the best cookie I've ever had. They also had the freshest home brewed iced tea which was delicious.

We were then escorted to our room. We rented the Delphinium in the Dutch Cottage. The Cottage has 2 rooms, and a shared kitchen and living room. It was very spacious. And a big bonus, that night, no one was renting the other room so we had the entire house to ourselves. (We went on a Sunday/Monday.) They told us that housekeeping would bring fresh cookies to our kitchen, but they never did. We were glad though because the restaurant food is so amazing that we were stuffed the entire time. Our fridge was stocked with water and sodas which was nice.

We decided to walk the trail around the property. This was probably our only negative.....the trail was great, we loved it....followed all the arrows, and gates, markers, etc. Then we found ourselves in the middle of a field of what we hope were cows. We could only tell the ones up close were not Bulls, and hoped for our lives the others were not. We figured, how could they lead you right into a field of cows staring us down, without warning? We started to walk through the cows figuring this had to be safe if others had gone before us on this trail, but then, one of them started to shuffle its feet and snort, so we turned around out of fear and had to walk the entire way back....

It was a great story and a great laugh, but I can say that both me and my special agent, gun-toting boyfriend were a bit fearful while it was actually happening! We are not country folk.....

So then we got ready for dinner. This dinner was so amazing. I will post photos. I got the crabcake. Now I am from Maryland and never order crabcakes outside of maryland because they always fall short, but the chef assured me in person that his were great. They were very tasty. It came out barely warm, so my only change would be to have it piping hot. But the flavor itself was good, and it almost took up my entire plate it was so large. Very delicious green beans too. My boyfriend got the flounder with crab imperial. Very rich and delicious. The garlic bread was the best I've ever had, and dessert amazing. We were full for hours! So decadent. Loved the ambiance and the service.

The next day we went to the included breakfast, and this was one of the best I've ever had. The pancakes are unreal. My boyfriend's omelette was very fresh and tasty. You will NOT be dissappointed in breakfast! What a treat. I would drive the 2 hour drive just to eat at this place. The chef and staff are great.

We then checked out the hot tub, which was near our house, and had it to ourself. It was very fancy with pressure spouts in all the right places. It has a beautiful view. The grounds are very breathtaking.

We cannot wait to return. We have another B and B we frequent regularly, but so glad we tried something new and will definitely be returning and adding this wonderful locale to our rotation!

Thanks to the entire staff for making our stay a special one. We will see you next time.
Private message me with any questions, I'm happy to answer!

Room Tip: we loved the delphinium - good size for the money, and semi private shared with only one other room.