“Goodstone Inn is good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
DC
“Goodstone Inn is good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We just spent the weekend at Goodstone Inn. We stayed in the Manor House, which was lovely and perfect. Unlike other Goodstone options, this house is some distance from the main house and restaurant, but the opportunity to walk for 20-30 minutes across their property prior to dining is part of the reason we escaped to the country. And to boot, the Manor House is on a hill overlooking the others and fields.
The only constructive criticism I have is that Goodstone still has some room to improve vis-a-vis hospitality. Unlike some nearby inns, e.g. Ashby or Clifden, it lacks a central innkeeper type with truly gracious country manners. So, for example, at my 50th birthday (with advance notice to them) we were led to an oversized table overlooking the swinging kitchen door, even after waiting past our reservation time for 20 minutes. It was tacky. Likewise, the grand waiting room was lacking a lit fire though the night was cool (a lovely one was waiting for us back at the manor house). Our morning waitress, too, lacked the degree of hospitality one might wish for in a top rated country inn. To be sure, everyone was very nice -- but that special and elegant touch was missing. On food, too, we learned that Goodstone just changed chefs. This made much sense to us because the food was overly sweet and we thought lacked the refinement we expected.
Still, it was lovely and a very nice place to stay. Though not just now five stars.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We just returned from a lovely stay at the Goodstone Inn. Upon our arrival, there was a huge hot air balloon hovering right over the inn. It was absolutely magical! We were then greeted and shown to our room - the Master Suite - located in the Manor House.

The property is truly idyllic. We wanted a a rural retreat and we got it there, for sure! The area reminded us a bit of Ireland - green rolling hills, stone walls and wooden fences, horses and cows everywhere - truly peaceful.

There is a beautiful barn on the property, as well as an organic garden, chickens, a pig and sheep. We also loved waking up to the sounds of singing birds and mooing cows each morning and seeing horses right outside our window. Our bed was a queen bed which is never our preference. However, we managed just fine and appreciated that the bed was a lovely antique four-poster bed - and those are usually queen-sized. Most of the rooms seem to be queen beds with the exception of a few.

Unfortunately, the "heated" pool wasn't available while we were there, and that was a disappointment to us. Even though it was chilly outside, we were prepared for a swim in the heated water. We did enjoy walking around the property and, though we felt nestled in the countryside, it was easy enough to drive to surrounding areas and activities. We enjoyed a lovely day trip to Harper's Ferry, for instance, which was only about 40 minutes away by car.

There are several houses on the property with several rooms and suites in each. We stayed in the Master Room in the Manor House and found it to be truly beautiful with old world elegance. It has a gorgeous view and the furnishings are refined and gracious with antiques and lovely fabrics. The house is in need of some TLC, however. There is some peeling paint in places that needs to be attended to. We saw the other rooms in the Manor House and the Stuart Suite is the most updated and spacious. We will plan on staying in that room the next time, even though our room was lovely.

We ate some fabulous meals at the restaurant. At dinner, we had the tastiest sea bass we've ever eaten anywhere. The same was true for the blueberry pancakes and eggs benedict at breakfast. We also enjoyed the friendly waiters in the restaurant.

Our room itself was spotless, but we opted to open our windows in order to enjoy the fresh air. We were disappointed to discover dead bugs and peeling paint between the windows and the screens, as well as peeling paint on the bathroom radiator. I'm not one to nitpick but I point it out because it is such a special and we were very happy with our room. For the price, however, I don't expect perfection but I do expect such details to be attended to. As I mentioned before, the Stuart Suite is very fresh and updated and it could be that they are in the process of updating the other rooms in the Manor House.

We truly enjoyed our stay and plan on returning next fall or possibly even sooner in the spring of next year. One suggestion I would make to the hotel is that they update their website to include more pictures. The website is nice but it doesn't do the property justice and the pictures aren't readily apparent. You have to dig around a bit on the website to get a good idea of the beauty of the place and, even then, the pictures don't capture it. I was really amazed to see how beautiful it was compared to what I saw on the website.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My daughter, her friend, and I traveled to Middleburg Virginia for the International Goldcup. We stayed at Goodstone Inn. Even the drive to this place was a fabulous experience as we passed absolutely beautiful farm after beautiful farm along the peaceful country road. We arrived just after dark and were immediately made to feel welcome. We stayed in the bull barn. It was perfect! A rustic, country feel with all the updated amenities. There was a complimentary bottle of wine, sodas, and water in our room. Fire glowed as we walked in the lounge for dinner. Dinner was fabulous with very friendly service. Breakfast was also very delicious! Took a beautiful walk on the trail around the farm that led us by the river and through the meadow. The views were gorgeous with the colorful fall leaves at their peak. Staying here just made our trip! I cant wait to introduce my parents to this place. Not only will they love this beautiful farm and delicious complimentary breakfast - It will be the perfect place for my husband and dad to stay while us ladies go small town shopping in the beautiful quaint town of Middleburg since we love the small town shops and they love the quiet of the farm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
baltimore, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here for one night with my boyfriend in September. My only regret is not staying more than one night!

We arrived to fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. It was probably the best cookie I've ever had. They also had the freshest home brewed iced tea which was delicious.

We were then escorted to our room. We rented the Delphinium in the Dutch Cottage. The Cottage has 2 rooms, and a shared kitchen and living room. It was very spacious. And a big bonus, that night, no one was renting the other room so we had the entire house to ourselves. (We went on a Sunday/Monday.) They told us that housekeeping would bring fresh cookies to our kitchen, but they never did. We were glad though because the restaurant food is so amazing that we were stuffed the entire time. Our fridge was stocked with water and sodas which was nice.

We decided to walk the trail around the property. This was probably our only negative.....the trail was great, we loved it....followed all the arrows, and gates, markers, etc. Then we found ourselves in the middle of a field of what we hope were cows. We could only tell the ones up close were not Bulls, and hoped for our lives the others were not. We figured, how could they lead you right into a field of cows staring us down, without warning? We started to walk through the cows figuring this had to be safe if others had gone before us on this trail, but then, one of them started to shuffle its feet and snort, so we turned around out of fear and had to walk the entire way back....

It was a great story and a great laugh, but I can say that both me and my special agent, gun-toting boyfriend were a bit fearful while it was actually happening! We are not country folk.....

So then we got ready for dinner. This dinner was so amazing. I will post photos. I got the crabcake. Now I am from Maryland and never order crabcakes outside of maryland because they always fall short, but the chef assured me in person that his were great. They were very tasty. It came out barely warm, so my only change would be to have it piping hot. But the flavor itself was good, and it almost took up my entire plate it was so large. Very delicious green beans too. My boyfriend got the flounder with crab imperial. Very rich and delicious. The garlic bread was the best I've ever had, and dessert amazing. We were full for hours! So decadent. Loved the ambiance and the service.

The next day we went to the included breakfast, and this was one of the best I've ever had. The pancakes are unreal. My boyfriend's omelette was very fresh and tasty. You will NOT be dissappointed in breakfast! What a treat. I would drive the 2 hour drive just to eat at this place. The chef and staff are great.

We then checked out the hot tub, which was near our house, and had it to ourself. It was very fancy with pressure spouts in all the right places. It has a beautiful view. The grounds are very breathtaking.

We cannot wait to return. We have another B and B we frequent regularly, but so glad we tried something new and will definitely be returning and adding this wonderful locale to our rotation!

Thanks to the entire staff for making our stay a special one. We will see you next time.
Private message me with any questions, I'm happy to answer!

Room Tip: we loved the delphinium - good size for the money, and semi private shared with only one other room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have been remiss in waiting 5 months to write a review of this wonderful property. I took my husband here for his birthday in April and we stayed in the Dutch Cottage. The Dutch Cottage is great, and we had it all to ourselves which was an added bonus. The view from the back porch was lovely. While we didn't get to enjoy the hot tub, it is right next door. The restaurant is absolutely delicious, we had one of the best meals we've ever enjoyed. We also took some time to walk around in downtown Middleberg which was very quaint and nice. Everything about The Goodstone Inn lets you know that they care about your visit. We slept in a bit late Sunday morning and we received a phone call that breakfast was ending. Rather than asking us to "hurry up!" they took our order over the phone and walked breakfast over to the cottage. Breakfast was unbelievable, probably the best pancakes I have ever had, and I think they farm the eggs on the property. Being there, you would never believe you are only about an hour and a half outside of DC. I would recommend The Goodstone Inn to anyone looking to a relaxing weekend away coupled with gourmet quality meals.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadlephia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Goodstone Inn is a large property with different multi-room houses scattered about. I guess you could rent a room in one of the large houses, but then you would be sharing a living room and kitchen with strangers. We rented the French house with 4 kids for a few nights. This place is heaven and more. The bucolic setting, nature trail, incredible pool (where the ladies from the front office walk over to fill up your lemonade), great hilly roads for jogging, best hot tub jets in recent memory, and unbelievable food all conspire to make this one of the most relaxing places imaginable. The shower in the house was easily the hardest I have ever experienced and I would still be in it if I didn't have to work to be able to pay for such a place. The fridge was stocked with bottled spring waters and sodas, all included with the price of the house. Now the hard part - finding something bad to say: This is being really picky, but the house came with a Keurig coffee maker and plenty of Green Mountain K-cups. For anyone who is a coffee aficionado, Green Mountain is mediocre. So I went to the local grocery and bought some better stuff. The other annoying thing is that on the day of checkout the cleaning services woman (and her son) arrived sometime before the proscribed checkout time, and while we were still enjoying the morning and the house. I asked her to come back later but she left her supplies in the house and sat in her car in the driveway until we departed. I can't imagine the management would have condoned this. Overall, the whole experience was quiet, and peaceful, and amazing, and the management and staff should be commended for doing a really great job.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I rarely, like never, write about properties, and like everyone they are usually in the extreme cases. Well this is the extreme and its extremely amazing. Goodstone blew me away. We went for our anniversary and I don't know where to begin. The grounds are out of central casting in terms of the quintessential American farm. A river runs through it. Cows, horses. Red barns. Trees, fields. They even built a 3-mile trail to traverse the 200 acres. Then the facility itself was gorgeous. There are many guest houses but we stayed in the main complex and the room was beautiful. It used to be a stable and now its this wondrous guest house. The food was to die for. Exquisite. Local. Amazing. To think this place is 45 mins from DC. I will definitely be back. Thank you Goodstone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!