“Amazing experience, you won't regret it.” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #2 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
baltimore, md
“Amazing experience, you won't regret it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here for one night with my boyfriend in September. My only regret is not staying more than one night!

We arrived to fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. It was probably the best cookie I've ever had. They also had the freshest home brewed iced tea which was delicious.

We were then escorted to our room. We rented the Delphinium in the Dutch Cottage. The Cottage has 2 rooms, and a shared kitchen and living room. It was very spacious. And a big bonus, that night, no one was renting the other room so we had the entire house to ourselves. (We went on a Sunday/Monday.) They told us that housekeeping would bring fresh cookies to our kitchen, but they never did. We were glad though because the restaurant food is so amazing that we were stuffed the entire time. Our fridge was stocked with water and sodas which was nice.

We decided to walk the trail around the property. This was probably our only negative.....the trail was great, we loved it....followed all the arrows, and gates, markers, etc. Then we found ourselves in the middle of a field of what we hope were cows. We could only tell the ones up close were not Bulls, and hoped for our lives the others were not. We figured, how could they lead you right into a field of cows staring us down, without warning? We started to walk through the cows figuring this had to be safe if others had gone before us on this trail, but then, one of them started to shuffle its feet and snort, so we turned around out of fear and had to walk the entire way back....

It was a great story and a great laugh, but I can say that both me and my special agent, gun-toting boyfriend were a bit fearful while it was actually happening! We are not country folk.....

So then we got ready for dinner. This dinner was so amazing. I will post photos. I got the crabcake. Now I am from Maryland and never order crabcakes outside of maryland because they always fall short, but the chef assured me in person that his were great. They were very tasty. It came out barely warm, so my only change would be to have it piping hot. But the flavor itself was good, and it almost took up my entire plate it was so large. Very delicious green beans too. My boyfriend got the flounder with crab imperial. Very rich and delicious. The garlic bread was the best I've ever had, and dessert amazing. We were full for hours! So decadent. Loved the ambiance and the service.

The next day we went to the included breakfast, and this was one of the best I've ever had. The pancakes are unreal. My boyfriend's omelette was very fresh and tasty. You will NOT be dissappointed in breakfast! What a treat. I would drive the 2 hour drive just to eat at this place. The chef and staff are great.

We then checked out the hot tub, which was near our house, and had it to ourself. It was very fancy with pressure spouts in all the right places. It has a beautiful view. The grounds are very breathtaking.

We cannot wait to return. We have another B and B we frequent regularly, but so glad we tried something new and will definitely be returning and adding this wonderful locale to our rotation!

Thanks to the entire staff for making our stay a special one. We will see you next time.
Private message me with any questions, I'm happy to answer!

Room Tip: we loved the delphinium - good size for the money, and semi private shared with only one other room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have been remiss in waiting 5 months to write a review of this wonderful property. I took my husband here for his birthday in April and we stayed in the Dutch Cottage. The Dutch Cottage is great, and we had it all to ourselves which was an added bonus. The view from the back porch was lovely. While we didn't get to enjoy the hot tub, it is right next door. The restaurant is absolutely delicious, we had one of the best meals we've ever enjoyed. We also took some time to walk around in downtown Middleberg which was very quaint and nice. Everything about The Goodstone Inn lets you know that they care about your visit. We slept in a bit late Sunday morning and we received a phone call that breakfast was ending. Rather than asking us to "hurry up!" they took our order over the phone and walked breakfast over to the cottage. Breakfast was unbelievable, probably the best pancakes I have ever had, and I think they farm the eggs on the property. Being there, you would never believe you are only about an hour and a half outside of DC. I would recommend The Goodstone Inn to anyone looking to a relaxing weekend away coupled with gourmet quality meals.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadlephia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Goodstone Inn is a large property with different multi-room houses scattered about. I guess you could rent a room in one of the large houses, but then you would be sharing a living room and kitchen with strangers. We rented the French house with 4 kids for a few nights. This place is heaven and more. The bucolic setting, nature trail, incredible pool (where the ladies from the front office walk over to fill up your lemonade), great hilly roads for jogging, best hot tub jets in recent memory, and unbelievable food all conspire to make this one of the most relaxing places imaginable. The shower in the house was easily the hardest I have ever experienced and I would still be in it if I didn't have to work to be able to pay for such a place. The fridge was stocked with bottled spring waters and sodas, all included with the price of the house. Now the hard part - finding something bad to say: This is being really picky, but the house came with a Keurig coffee maker and plenty of Green Mountain K-cups. For anyone who is a coffee aficionado, Green Mountain is mediocre. So I went to the local grocery and bought some better stuff. The other annoying thing is that on the day of checkout the cleaning services woman (and her son) arrived sometime before the proscribed checkout time, and while we were still enjoying the morning and the house. I asked her to come back later but she left her supplies in the house and sat in her car in the driveway until we departed. I can't imagine the management would have condoned this. Overall, the whole experience was quiet, and peaceful, and amazing, and the management and staff should be commended for doing a really great job.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I rarely, like never, write about properties, and like everyone they are usually in the extreme cases. Well this is the extreme and its extremely amazing. Goodstone blew me away. We went for our anniversary and I don't know where to begin. The grounds are out of central casting in terms of the quintessential American farm. A river runs through it. Cows, horses. Red barns. Trees, fields. They even built a 3-mile trail to traverse the 200 acres. Then the facility itself was gorgeous. There are many guest houses but we stayed in the main complex and the room was beautiful. It used to be a stable and now its this wondrous guest house. The food was to die for. Exquisite. Local. Amazing. To think this place is 45 mins from DC. I will definitely be back. Thank you Goodstone.

Westmont, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

went on a 3 day short vacation to this inn. was very surprised at how inviting it was. we used a social living coupon and were greatly pleased at how it was accepted. dinner one nite at the inn was great, but I must accept the fact it was rather expensive. we had rack of lamb very good but not an entire rack. the souffle was terrific and so terrific that I had another the next nite. I would love to go back again but would do it on another coupon. breakfast was included and a very good value.

Room Tip: read the room explanations carefully as the rooms are placed around the 200+ acres in guest houses...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Middleburg on Saturday afternoon.
Over dinner we planned our next trip there. That was our fourth or fifth.
We stayed in The Bull Barn which is a world unto it's own.
We are returning in December for twice the time we just spent there.
Among other things, the food is out of this world! If you have never experienced a meal by Chef Walden, I cannot tell you what you have missed.
The sommelier, Dave Saavedra, is one of the finest.
Service in all areas, outstanding. The staff goes out of their way to ensure your total satisfaction.
Do yourself a favor and go! Beauty and fine food await you.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We heard about Goodstone from Living Social. The pictures looked lovely online, but I was still wondering if the pictures just captured the "best of," while editing the less attractive. Turns out there IS no less attractive here. It was simply the most beautiful place I've ever seen. I couldn't stop taking pictures of the French Farm Cottage, both inside and out. The landscaping, the views of the grounds, the interior - all so beautiful. The service was excellent, dinner and breakfast the best I ever had. The pool was gorgeous. We would go back in a minute if funds and time would allow. We had a perfectly romantic stay.

Room Tip: I really wanted to stay in the Bull Barn, but the Leith Room was lovely.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!