“Completely Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Arlington
“Completely Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have been remiss in waiting 5 months to write a review of this wonderful property. I took my husband here for his birthday in April and we stayed in the Dutch Cottage. The Dutch Cottage is great, and we had it all to ourselves which was an added bonus. The view from the back porch was lovely. While we didn't get to enjoy the hot tub, it is right next door. The restaurant is absolutely delicious, we had one of the best meals we've ever enjoyed. We also took some time to walk around in downtown Middleberg which was very quaint and nice. Everything about The Goodstone Inn lets you know that they care about your visit. We slept in a bit late Sunday morning and we received a phone call that breakfast was ending. Rather than asking us to "hurry up!" they took our order over the phone and walked breakfast over to the cottage. Breakfast was unbelievable, probably the best pancakes I have ever had, and I think they farm the eggs on the property. Being there, you would never believe you are only about an hour and a half outside of DC. I would recommend The Goodstone Inn to anyone looking to a relaxing weekend away coupled with gourmet quality meals.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Philadlephia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Goodstone Inn is a large property with different multi-room houses scattered about. I guess you could rent a room in one of the large houses, but then you would be sharing a living room and kitchen with strangers. We rented the French house with 4 kids for a few nights. This place is heaven and more. The bucolic setting, nature trail, incredible pool (where the ladies from the front office walk over to fill up your lemonade), great hilly roads for jogging, best hot tub jets in recent memory, and unbelievable food all conspire to make this one of the most relaxing places imaginable. The shower in the house was easily the hardest I have ever experienced and I would still be in it if I didn't have to work to be able to pay for such a place. The fridge was stocked with bottled spring waters and sodas, all included with the price of the house. Now the hard part - finding something bad to say: This is being really picky, but the house came with a Keurig coffee maker and plenty of Green Mountain K-cups. For anyone who is a coffee aficionado, Green Mountain is mediocre. So I went to the local grocery and bought some better stuff. The other annoying thing is that on the day of checkout the cleaning services woman (and her son) arrived sometime before the proscribed checkout time, and while we were still enjoying the morning and the house. I asked her to come back later but she left her supplies in the house and sat in her car in the driveway until we departed. I can't imagine the management would have condoned this. Overall, the whole experience was quiet, and peaceful, and amazing, and the management and staff should be commended for doing a really great job.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I rarely, like never, write about properties, and like everyone they are usually in the extreme cases. Well this is the extreme and its extremely amazing. Goodstone blew me away. We went for our anniversary and I don't know where to begin. The grounds are out of central casting in terms of the quintessential American farm. A river runs through it. Cows, horses. Red barns. Trees, fields. They even built a 3-mile trail to traverse the 200 acres. Then the facility itself was gorgeous. There are many guest houses but we stayed in the main complex and the room was beautiful. It used to be a stable and now its this wondrous guest house. The food was to die for. Exquisite. Local. Amazing. To think this place is 45 mins from DC. I will definitely be back. Thank you Goodstone.

Westmont, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

went on a 3 day short vacation to this inn. was very surprised at how inviting it was. we used a social living coupon and were greatly pleased at how it was accepted. dinner one nite at the inn was great, but I must accept the fact it was rather expensive. we had rack of lamb very good but not an entire rack. the souffle was terrific and so terrific that I had another the next nite. I would love to go back again but would do it on another coupon. breakfast was included and a very good value.

Room Tip: read the room explanations carefully as the rooms are placed around the 200+ acres in guest houses...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Middleburg on Saturday afternoon.
Over dinner we planned our next trip there. That was our fourth or fifth.
We stayed in The Bull Barn which is a world unto it's own.
We are returning in December for twice the time we just spent there.
Among other things, the food is out of this world! If you have never experienced a meal by Chef Walden, I cannot tell you what you have missed.
The sommelier, Dave Saavedra, is one of the finest.
Service in all areas, outstanding. The staff goes out of their way to ensure your total satisfaction.
Do yourself a favor and go! Beauty and fine food await you.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We heard about Goodstone from Living Social. The pictures looked lovely online, but I was still wondering if the pictures just captured the "best of," while editing the less attractive. Turns out there IS no less attractive here. It was simply the most beautiful place I've ever seen. I couldn't stop taking pictures of the French Farm Cottage, both inside and out. The landscaping, the views of the grounds, the interior - all so beautiful. The service was excellent, dinner and breakfast the best I ever had. The pool was gorgeous. We would go back in a minute if funds and time would allow. We had a perfectly romantic stay.

Room Tip: I really wanted to stay in the Bull Barn, but the Leith Room was lovely.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Worldwide Traveler
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We really wanted to find a retreat away from DC that we could enjoy for weekends to come. This is NOT the place.

We had found this place using LivingSocial; and made a reservation two months ago to celebrate my husband's birthday and stay in the French Cottage. We were "upgraded" to a suite in the Inn (main house), it felt more like a prison. On the main drag, we had to keep the curtains drawn as the staff and maintenance folks did their chores, so it was dark most of the time.

Upon arrival (Day 1), apparently we interrupted a meeting, and we were gruffly greeted by a man and told that the kitchen was closed. Shown our room, we ventured into town to have a late luncheon; and picked up sandwiches for a picnic dinner that evening. The first night, there was a bug crawling over the bed large enough to wake us up.

On Day 2, breakfast was horrible (burnt pancakes and mushy muffins under the eggs benedict). Refer to full review under restaurants. Based on the comments/actions of the server, it appeared as though we were interrupting the chef. Later in the day, when we went to the lobby/great room/main area to enjoy tea, we were again treated as though we were an unwelcomed interruption (the 3rd time in less than 24 hours). It appeared that there was a meeting in progress, and the participants stared at us and abruptly left the area in a huff. Our room was tidied, but water or makeup removal pads were not replenished in the room. We cancelled our dinner reservation because we were treated so coldly; and did not wish to "interrupt" the chef again that day.

Upon departure (Day 3), we were grunted (NOT greeted) at upon arrival in the main room, so we didn't even attempt breakfast. Upon checkout we were never asked "how was your stay?", but were handed our bill and a note to leave comments on this site. On a positive note, the cookies and scones at mid day are wonderful; and the grounds are delightful to hike.

Wish that we had experienced the stays that others have written about. But based on our experience, it is clear to me that this Inn in resting on it's laurels of days past, and would suggest finding another place to rest your head while in this area.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the main house.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Debbie C, Public Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
We deeply regret that you had an unsatisfactory experience at Goodstone. We apparently got off to a bad start with you and it never got better. We apologize.

Mark Betts,
Owner & General Manager

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!