“Lovely Inn but mixed feelings about the hospitality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Longbarn

The Longbarn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middleburg
The Longbarn
You added The Longbarn to your Saves list
37129 Adams Green Lane, P.O. Box 208, Middleburg, VA 20118   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Washington, D.C.
“Lovely Inn but mixed feelings about the hospitality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

This converted barn is just beautiful - especially the main room. We had nice walks on the grounds and enjoyed the deer who visit the property. The room was nice but the bed & pillows were of very poor quality. The breakfast was served in three courses: a mixed fruit plate, and omlette and dessert. Chiara was very nice, but her military husband came out and grilled us about the guests who didn't show up for their reservation (no one we knew, but he believed that there was a connection and was quite insistent). Overall, good value for money but it is clear that their heart isn't in to being inn-keepers.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Our group had a wonderful stay at The Longbarn. The hostess was responsive, friendly and accommodating and made us feel welcome.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

My husband and I stayed here a few years ago. The unimaginable happened when we
went into town for dinner -- we were struck by a truck as we walked across the street.
My husband was airlifted to DC, but I was taken to the local ER. Somehow, Chiara heard about it and her husband and she came to see me twice in the ER, bringing with them things I needed. She also came to visit me a couple days later at the county hospital. Since I was alone, far away from home, I very much appreciated her kindness
and consideration!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

I was with “Don’t Stay Here” and “Surprising Experience” for our unfortunate stay at Chiara Langley’s Longbarn B&B. I agree wholeheartedly with their comments about the bizarre style of “hospitality”, the mediocre meal, and the innkeeper’s forgetfulness, but I do have one point to add. When we inquired at checkout about whether there would be a discounted rate for our inconvenience (the fact that we had missed out on 1/3 of our stay due to Ms. Langley’s having forgotten that we had reservations), she looked taken aback and countered “WHAT inconvenience?”, and went on to say that other B&Bs in the area charge more than she does, and that she thinks we had gotten a very good deal with her. (She did end up reluctantly refunding 5% to each of us). She proceeded to disappear to a back room while we packed and left, without so much as a good-bye or thank you from our ungracious host. A good price maybe, but a “deal” isn’t a deal when it doesn’t include any trace of customer service or hospitality.

• Liked — Proximity to Middleburg
  • Disliked — The innkeeper
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I would definately not recommend this inn. It felt like we were staying in someone's house and weren't welcome there. We had a group of 6 and arrived at the inn at 6 p.m. and no one was there. The innkeeper forgot! We went to dinner and left several messages on her phone. A couple of hours later she called to say she had forgotten she had guests (I thought this was pretty strange since i had only made my reservation 2 days earlier). Ciara the innkeeper is not very nice at all. As is the case iwth many b&bs, you really feel like you're in their house but here it was particularly strange. I felt like this is a family with a large house who decided to rent their kids rooms after they had moved out. Not very private. One room was labeled private and we think that was Ciara and her husband's bedroom. Breakfast was bad and she never made an attempt to talk to us. Never asked if we needed directions or suggestions on what to do in town. I don 't mind little interaction with innkeepers but i usually expect for them to act like they're glad we're staying with them. Not sure why this woman choose to be an innkeeper, she's not very nice at all.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
richmond
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

I went with a group of three couples to the Longbarn in Middleburg, VA this weekend. Mr. Langley took my reservation about two weeks in advance and was pleasant and informative. Mrs. Langley took one of my friend's reservations two days prior to check in and was gruff and uninviting. (This should have been foreboding!)

When we arrived at 6:00 p.m. yesterday, there was no one there to greet us. We waited on the property for a half an hour, and then left a note on the door. We were unable to shower/change before dinner so we headed out to the charming, historic town of Middleburg in the same clothes we had been wearing in the hot sun all day.

Mrs. Langley called later and apologized for FORGETTING that we were coming! I was appalled that someone who runs a B&B could forget that they had a full house that evening. While she was apologetic on the phone, she was curt and rude to us in person.

The grounds were lovely and scenic, the rooms quaint and comfortable, the common area cluttered with hodge podge, and the breakfast was sufficient but unmemorable. Her behavior during our visit was simply inexcusable and nothing like any other B&B I've stayed in my life.

• Liked — Beautiful setting.
  • Disliked — Incredibly rude and forgetful owner
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2007

Conveniently located just two miles from the historic town of Middleburg, this inn fit the bill wonderfully for a one night get-away from Washington, DC. A winding road through manicured grass, gardens, bordering forest, and around good sized pond finds its way to the rough sided barn transformed into an open beamed, European style B and B. Chiara, the owner proudly displays a super sized photograph on the wall of her family home in Italy which I mistakenly took for the building I was in! At breakfast we dined with a New Orleans couple who frequent the area to visit their son. They were second time guests at the Inn.

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — The shower
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Longbarn? Share your experiences!