“Great Winery” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
Honolulu, HI
“Great Winery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a delightful winery. Jenni and her team have done a wonderful job on creating very enjoyable wines in a friendly and beautiful atmosphere. This is the absolute must stop to learn about the Norton, the grape that was first created in Virginia. I have visited this winery many times (and have visited 49 VA wineries in all) and this one ranks in the top 5.

Bring a basket or buy food on the property and sit and enjoy their wine for a wonderful afternoon.

Vonore, Tennessee
36 attraction reviews
“Great Day for VA Wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have been going to Chrysalis for many years (along with many other VA wineries) and have never had a bad day. For full disclosure, we are former VA residents that have moved to TN and are members of the Chrysalis VIP Club because we miss the great wine and can get a couple of bottles each month to satisfy our VA wine jones.

The staff is always friendly and knowledgable of the wines they have. We have been to other wineries where we would ask questions about blends and processes and were told those facts were "wine maker proprietary". Always makes me suspicious. That does not happen at Chrysalis and, in fact, they have a book available to the tasting servers in case a questions comes up they do not know the answer to.

Our latest experience was a welcome back for us. In TN, we do not have lot of winery choices so we looked forward to our trip back to VA to stock up on good wines. We firmly believe that wine is a personal choice and I would never tell someone their wine opinion is wrong. However, by all wine expert rankings, VA is now one of the best wine making states in the US and, in our opinion, Chrysalis is one of the best wineries in VA. Their recent Albarino is fantastic, the oaked Chardonnay is crisp and smooth, and the reds are, as a group, one of their best years in a while. I would highly recommend the Norton wines but I'm partial to that particular varietal.

In addition to the wines, Chrysalis has a beautiful location. Yes, they are set back on a gravel road the is about a lane and a half wide, hilly, and can be fairly rough but the views are wonderful and provide a really nice way to enjoy a glass (or bottle) of wine. I have read many other reviews and agree that everything here is not perfect but the positives highly out-weigh the negatives. The family area is a great idea. We do not have children and would prefer that they be left at home. However, we also appreciate the fact that when parents make the choice to bring them, most are not running wild among the entire grounds because they have a fenced area of their own. The bathrooms (actually porta-potties) could definitely use an upgrade. It was fine when they were small and developing but they need to invest in a better set-up at this point. The grill and pavilion are a great place for a gathering with the large gas grill and many tables for folks to gather and eat. Many times the owner and/or wine-maker are wandering the tasting room or the grounds and enjoy stopping and talking with the guests about the wine, the winery, and their plans for the future.

Overall, this is a wonderful place with great wines and we would highly recommend visiting for an hour or the day. We have never talked with anyone there that did not enjoy the time spent - and we have enjoyed each and every visit.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
7 attraction reviews
“2 out of 3 Times Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Chrysalis is one of my favorite wineries in VA so I take friends often for their first visits to the wineries. In the past I have had a couple unorganized or rushed experiences where the staff have been a bit dismissive but the other times it has been great. This winery is a good one to start your day but they also are the ones who stay open later than the other wineries. The staff really explain the wines carefully and in an organized manner typically. They have great wines...Nortons mostly. The down side is it is outside so on a hot day like this weekend was you will melt. It is a nice place to bring a picnic unlike other wineries who don't allow this. They also have a children area so you can avoid being bothered by kids running around...they separate you up...its fabulous...except the parents who don't care and let their kid leave the area. Beautiful scenery and you can walk around. They have good prices and a good amount of wines in their tasting choices. Chrysalis needs to invest in bathrooms. The portapotty idea is quite gross for a winery as large as they are. It is a bit of a turn off and my friend wanted to wait and use the facilities at the next winery we went to....which is why I always start there and never end there with a nice glass of wine and some cheese...because I would rather go to the next place and use a real bathroom! However, overall this is a favorite when they are having a smooth running day and this weekend they put the other wineries to shame in their wonderful service. The better the tasting the more wine you will sell.

Virginia
“Decent wine, good staff... but porta-potties?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

A gravel road to get there is part of the charm. The wines were decent, some better than others. Pete was our tasting guide, and was informative and very personable, made it a good time. The scenery is pretty. So why only two stars? When my wife asked to use the restroom, she was directed down a flight of stairs outside, and then around to the right toward the barns, only to find a stand of three porta-potties!!! Are you kidding me? After taking time to point out the 11,000 sq. ft. home of the owner, a former Silicon Valley billionaire, who lives onsite, you don't have the funds to put in real bathrooms for your customers? A bar would be out of business if they didn't have restroom facilities. Very disappointing.

Visited June 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
14 attraction reviews
“Best overall winery experience I have ever had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The totle says it all. I am the first to say everyone has different wine taste and preferences but I thought all but one of their wines were great. This is one of the few wineries have been to that really tells you about their winery, thier process ideas and historical info about the grapes. You will see from other postings they have a family area for folks with kids. This is a GREAT idea and it is just as large if not larger than the general area with tons of picnic tables reserved for families. If you bring kids thats fine but remember this is an adult activity not an amusment park. I found the staff extra friendly, efficient considering the huge memorial day crowd, and very helpful. Wine prices are great, and while the food they offer is a little high thats what you expect when you buy your snacks from any winery. The good news is they are happy to have you bring your ouw food and even provide two large built in gas grills you can use to cook your own food. Pete, the wine tasting guide did a fantastc job. For my next wine tasting day i will definitely plan my day to end here and bring late lunch.

Visited May 2013