“Service on the decline” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Merrifield
Massachusetts
“Service on the decline”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

My wife and I have are Marriott Rewards members and have stayed at this particular hotel several times. It is directly across the street from a Metro stop which means you don't have to drive into Washington DC, Maryland or other parts of Virginia that the Metro serves. It offers an underground garage for parking with a secure gate so your car stays parked safely while you do the touristy stuff in the Washington area. The rooms are comfortable, roomy and clean.
However, the swimming pool and whirlpool that is advertised for use is open from 10-10 on weekends only. They don't make the pool and whirlpool available until 5 p.m. on weekdays which means you may have to contend with kids splashing around in the pool rather than take advantage of some quiet time while kids are at the zoo with their parents. Further, when my wife and I went to use the pool on Sunday afternoon (posted hours are 10-10), the door was locked. The lifeguard came to the door, said he was at lunch and told us to come back later and locked the door again. He re-opened the pool 30 minutes later.
When we made our reservation we had the option given to us to have a newspaper delivered to our room, something that many hotels offer and I always avail myself of. When the paper wasn't delivered Monday morning I called the front desk and was told the hotel discontinued that policy. I explained I was a Marriott Rewards member, it was given to me as an option when making the reservation and the desk clerk apologized, said he'd send someone up with the paper and make a note that the paper was to be delivered the rest of the week. I ended up having to call every day but one to get the paper delivered and even encountered attitude from a Janitor of all people who wanted to know "who told you you could get a paper delivered to your room?"
I complained about this to Marriott and received an e-mail from the hotel manager who attached an (undated) copy of a press release that was supposedly sent to all Marriott members saying the policy was discontinued because they want to cut down on their "carbon footprint". I assured the manager that I didn't get such an e-mail from Marriott and, further, if it were a legitimate press release he were sending me it would have been dated.
The Security gate on the parking garage remained up for a complete day if not longer. I brought it to the hotel's attention that the security gate was not closing and they did not seem concerned at all.
While we'll probably stay there again, we won't expect the high standards that were once delivered. As I stated earlier, it's roomy and comfortable and with the exception of the few problems we had we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again but we are warning everyone that there is attitude that you may run into. I'm not giving it the 5 stars I would have in the past.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Metro Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

We stayed here with the kids and extended family on a family vacation to DC, and this hotel was a great place to stay for something like that. It’s new, or at least very well maintained. The staff is friendly, and the place is relatively quiet. I did not have any problems with loud families or anything. it’s right across the street from the Dunn Loring Metro station, which made for an easy commute into the city. We drove in one evening and that seemed more or less a straight shot too.

We got a very good rate staying Thursday night through Sunday night. Monday night through Wednesday night would have been triple. The room had a small fridge but no microwave. We did not have breakfast there. I could have gotten a rate for $10 extra a night that included it, it’s $12 without the special rate. The pool and hot tub is in-doors, a little small, and kind of institutional looking. They open until 10 pm in the evenings. The fitness center just had free weights and a couple of bikes, treadmills, and an elliptical trainer.

There are a number of places to eat near the hotel, but they’re not really within walking distance. At least the drive was reasonably easy.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Pine Hill, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

Be forewarned, this is pretty detailed.

I took a trip with my mother, who was, at the time, a scorekeeper for an AAU girls' basketball team, who had a tournament to play in this area. The trip itself was miserable and the dreariness of it was the stuff of legend. It wasn't COMPLETELY the hotel's fault, but the property certainly did nothing to alleviate the awfulness of what was supposed to be a mini-vacation. This hotel is apparently #1 on this site in Vienna, Virginia, but this distinction is most definitely deceptive.

I'll focus on the positives first: The parking is underground, with quick elevator access to the lobby. I'd never heard of underground hotel parking, but it's a concept I've come to like. After a few times telling off ruffians eyeing my own vehicle in a motel parking lot, I knew my mother's car would be safe. Secondly, the lobby area with the TV, computers, and printers was surprisingly quiet and relaxing. Had I more time, I would have utilized it for writing.

(grab a cup of coffee, this might be a lengthy read) Now the negatives: "This bottle of water is placed here for your convenience...oh, by the way, you touch one drop and that'll be $2.59." Safe to say, we didn't bother to touch the bottled water that they left for us in the room.

We stayed from Friday night to Sunday morning. What did this mean? NO ROOM SERVICE! That doesn't make one iota of sense; the hotel was seemingly at its busiest those three days, but no room service. That was my first red flag. There was a restaurant, which was only open for dinner when the breakfast service ended, but not on the weekends! With very few eating establishments within walking distance, this deliberate inconvenience set off more red flags. However, after you read the next part, maybe you'll see this as a blessing in disguise.

My father, who helped me become the avid traveler that I am today, always told me "it's very hard to screw up breakfast." And yet, this property managed to do it. When hot breakfast is complimentary, I always go for the eggs, sausage, and potatoes. The eggs were mediocre, nothing great either way; however, they put PEPPERS in the home fries! That's fine if you're serving potatoes o'brien on the side, but what about people that can't, or don't want to eat that? There was no separate pepper-free home fries. Quoth my mother, "it's the South, they do things differently." This is a crock, for I went to college in the Bible Belt for two years (nowhere near a major city either, mind you) and they NEVER put peppers in their home fries unless specifically requested. The sausages looked disgusting, almost inappropriately so, so I just had eggs and biscuits. Very disappointing, and the morning after that (the end, thank [insert deity of your choice here]!), we stopped at the Golden Arches for breakfast instead.

One of the selling points that Marriott tries to knock into your head is the "24 Hour market" which is supposed to have a nice selection of stuff for you to nibble. The overall selection stunk to high heaven. There weren't many microwaveable items, and the few I could eat, I couldn't enjoy properly, because the microwave was broken, meaning a couple of the meatballs in my meatball Hot Pocket were ice cold. In the commercials, you see a man lustfully pulling a pint of ice cream from the freezer. No pints here, just a couple of months-old Dove bars with walnuts that nobody would touch. The only sandwiches they had were chicken salad and tuna salad. Ick, no thanks. They had beer and a couple of mini bottles of wine, but nothing I could drink. Another thing I found odd: The bottle of Pepsi in the Market cost $2, but the same bottle of Pepsi from a vending machine was only $1.50, ON THE SAME PROPERTY. You're better off ordering in...there's a good pizza place AND some good Chinese to be had, without resorting to a chain, AND they deliver!

The only condition of going was if there were computers around, so that I could watch some of my favorite online shows and keep in touch with old college friends during the lulls. I called the hotel and they said "yes, we have computers, free to use, 24 hours a day." That sealed the deal. But I get to the computer center (which is completely walled off from the rest of the lobby area) and there's kids on it on MySpace, even though there's a big "NOBODY UNDER 18 WITHOUT A PARENT" sign. There's only three computers, they're all Vista, and they've all got this "control program" which controls access to the internet and Word, but you can't do both at the same time! Way to slap your business travelers in the face!

My mother was generous enough to let me use her laptop instead. But herein lay another problem: the wireless connection. When you connect to the hotel network (which was EXTREMELY WEAK in our room) you have to click through eleventy billion screens in order to get on. Okay, no big deal. 24 hours later, in the midst of a pretty important conversation on instant messaging, the connection conks out, and I have to do those screens ALL OVER AGAIN! Other than the essentials, I skipped the computer use altogether. Fortunately, the party on the other end understood my troubles.

Housekeeping did a good job in the room, but the lobby? Not so much! During breakfast, the wait staff (none of whom were American, FWIW) was kind enough to let me have a free Coke to help slog down the horrible breakfast. After eating, I took the glass of Coke with me to the Computer Center. We get back to the hotel at 7 PM after a long, activity-filled day, and guess what? The coke glass I had neglected nearly 12 hours ago WAS STILL THERE! I hope nobody attempted to drink it.

And lastly, the hotel LIED TO US BEFORE WE EVEN CHECKED IN! The confirmation we got told us we'd have 2 full-sized beds to sleep in, with ZERO fine print regarding "we reserve the right to change your room," etc. We get to our room, 1 king size bed. And I'm sorry, but I grew out of sleeping in my mother's bed well over 10 years ago. She had always sung the praises of Marriott beds and how comfortable they were; the next tax refund will go toward purchasing a Marriott mattress for her bedroom. But I didn't get to enjoy it this time, I slept on the couch in our room.

This whole mini-Vacation was more like a mini-Hell, and while it wasn't completely the hotel's fault that I had an absolutely horrible time, (I love the DC area too, don't get me wrong) its MANY shortcomings did absolutely zero to help. Maybe I've been spoiled by very good properties, maybe I'm too much of a brand loyalist, and maybe I'm a bit nitpicky, but when it sucks, it sucks. This is the second Marriott property in the DC area I've stayed in, but it will most certainly be the last anywhere; Marriott is now synonymous with disappointment, so I'll stick with the Hilton and Choice hotels. I recommend you pass it over too. A Choice hotel may not have as many stars, but at least your room will pay off in spades.

• Stayed June 2009
Jmagg79
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I love the DC area. You can really do it on a budget. After my search I found this hotel. It has just about everything I wanted. No continental breakfast but hey that’s ok everything else makes up for that.. It was clean. The staff was friendly, check in/out was a breeze. The room was spacious. The subway was a convenient 5 min walk up the road. Parking was free. It is hard to find a deal like this in DC or the surrounding areas. I plan to always stay here.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Morral, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

I agree with snakebite_survivor, I also hesitate to review this place as too many people may find out about it! We stayed here 3 nights over the weekend, easy check-in process, free gated parking in the garage under the hotel with elevator access to your floor from the garage. 5 min walk to the metro (if you have trouble with the walk to the metro there is no way you will make it walking the national mall). Room was very clean, maid service was good. We didn't try the breakfast at the hotel as we found a nice diner just down the street (Silver Diner). Bed was comfortable, no complaints. When we got our receipt on the last day we did have an unexpected room service charge which we did not order, but the front desk quickly applied credit to our account no questions asked, so no harm no foul. We were very pleased with our stay overall we booked a few weeks ahead of time and got the $69/night rate which was very reasonable, we will definitely be back.

Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We chose this hotel based on the fact that it is so convinient to the Metro station and the reviews we read here on trip advisor. While the weekend senior rate of $73 was great they charge $11.95 for an average breakfast buffet and the restaurant is only open for dinner Monday through Thursday. And there are few restaurants, if any, within walking distance. Housekeeping did a barely adequate job, leaving dirty linen on the bar/counter, not replacing water glasses and missed emptying one of the two waste cans in the room. Plus they charge $2,59 for the 2 liter "convinience" bottle of water. Again, on the plus side the room was clean, upon arrival, and housekeeping did a very good job cleaning the bathroom. I will say that our experience at this Marriott mirrors other stays at Mariott properties - there is always some type of problem. I will think twice about another stay at a Marriott, and I am a member of their club.

Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

In a way, I hesitate to review this place, lest too many people discover it. Their senior weekend rate is a great deal (about $70 per night), with free parking. It's less than 5 minutes walk to the Metro (a half hour ride downtown). The room looked brand new with a bigger-than-standard king size bed, and we lucked out with a nice balcony. The all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet is a great deal: we ate so much we ended up skipping lunch! Staff was very friendly and helpful. The only negative is that there is nothing anywhere near walking distance: have dinner before you leave downtown.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Dunn Loring Fairfax? Share your experiences!