“Overall, Very Good Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Breakfast & Wi-Fi
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Merrifield
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Overall, Very Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for several months while working in the area. The lobby has been renovated so it’s quite nice. The bed was comfortable, everything worked and once I was inside my room, I couldn’t hear anyone in the rooms around me which I really appreciate. The room, however, could use a renovation. The room I was in had ripped wallpaper in the bathroom. The bathroom towels could be a bit fluffier as they feel like sandpaper. The furniture and the carpet need to be updated and the free internet is slow. There is a choice to pay for a faster internet but I didn’t upgrade. The number of TV channels you can watch is really not that many and could be improved. The free breakfast each morning is your standard expectation and the light evening meal the hotel provides Monday-Wednesday was especially nice after working a long day and not wanting to make something myself. Out by the pool are several tables and a grill. Often on nights, I would grab the light evening meal and sit outside just to enjoy the fresh air. Right outside the hotel and down a few stairs are several restaurants (Thai, Chinese, Pizza, Starbucks and a great deli), CVS, and a hair and nail salon which was good for me since I had a lengthy stay. And across the street (busy intersection but has crosswalks) are several more restaurants. There is also a beautiful new shopping/eating area just down the street. It has plenty of activities (fountains for the kids to run through and a huge screen on a building to watch movies--that was great during the World Cup Soccer), along with a Target, Chipotle, and an organic food market. It is true that this hotel is about 1.5 miles from the Metro and there is no shuttle service, but I had my car so it wasn’t a problem. The Metro parking lot is free on weekends so I was able to park my car and actually head into DC to enjoy the city. There is also an entrance about 2 miles away for the Washington-Old Dominion bike trail (which is about 35 miles long) and that was an outstanding ride on the weekends. This hotel has underground parking so I used that which was great on those rainy mornings. Every staff member I encountered, and I encountered a lot, was polite and went out of his/her way to make my stay the best it could be. I even didn’t get to the hotel until 1:30am and they had left a light on in my room – that was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hyde Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Great stay at this Mariott. So many perks; outdoor pool with lifeguard, full breakfast and a Taco dinner which my grandsons loved. Clean rooms in our suite fully furnished. Near DC and Arlington, Va. Great location.

Room Tip: Suite 2 bedrooms, 2 bath, living room/kitchen.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed at the hotel this past weekend for my boyfriend and i's anniversary (also just to get away) . I live in the dc area so I was extremely scared of the drive and if the location would even be feasible for us. Although it was just a little over a 30min drive I would have to say my stay was great ! The hotel provided everything I needed , there was no loud noises , the staff was very pleasant , and the complimentary breakfast was delicious . My boyfriends personal favorite was the bar right across in the shopping center :) , well me I liked the fact there were kitchen in the room ! I have to give a personal shout out to the front desk receptionist GEORGE before even checking in he was very helpful , from giving directions to information on the area even recommendations . I knew I was being a pest but he helped me make my weekend perfect , thank you George ! I would definetly stay there again

• Stayed July 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Three adults with one 7 year old. We stayed in the two room suite and were very pleased. The room was very clean and well maintained and cleaned every day. The hotel desk staff were very helpful and pleasant to all of us. The location of the hotel is very convenient to both good restaurants as well as highways and the metro lines. CVS pharmacy being right there was also an added benefit for the little things you always neglect to pack or find out you need after all. The hot breakfasts were excellent with a wide variety of choices. We only participated in the complementary dinner one night, but it was tasty as well. One drawback, since we did have a younger child with us, was that the TV did not subscribe to any child appropriate channels (Disney, Hub). However, since we were on the go most of the time, it worked out OK for us. But, something to keep in mind, should you have little ones. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Green Features: This hotel does offer intermittent bedding changes options as well as using bath towels more than once for environment concerns. However, we chose to take advantage of the daily bedding and towel changes as I was with a sweaty bunch.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Elizabeth, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We (two parents and three teen aged kids) traveled to the DC Area for one final family vacation before sending our son off to Basic Training.... Booking a two bedroom suite in this hotel made it very affordable and SUPER convenient! We spent the day at nearby Steven Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum before checking in. Upon arrival, we took advantage of having a full kitchen and I made spaghetti for dinner. The suite gave us more than enough room to give everyone a little space and breathing room. Requests for extra towels were promptly answered (with a smile). The hot breakfasts each morning offered lots of choices for even the pickiest of eaters. We drove to the metro station each morning (all day parking $4.75 weekdays and free on weekends), rode about a half hour on the orange line and spent our days traversing across washington proper and arlington. We never seemed to make it back in time for the free receptions in the evening, but the menus sounded yummy! Dinner the second night was literally steps away from the hotel parking lot..... a plaza with many options (chinese, sports bar, thai, deli, pizza, starbucks.... to name a few) as well as a CVS for anything you may have forgotten abuts the back of the parking lot.
We checked out the outdoor pool area and the community grilling area, but ran out of time before we could try them out.
We will definitely consider this hotel again for any trips back in the area. Convenient, clean, roomy, affordable, great staff..... what more could you ask?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Matt J, General Manager at Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for your comments about the Residence Inn by Marriott Fairfax Merrifield, I am glad you and your family enjoyed your stay. The entire staff here takes great pride in the cleanliness of the hotel, the quality of our complimentary food offerings (daily breakfast and Monday through Wednesday evening socials), as well as always striving to deliver first class guest service so that you have a relaxing and enjoyable visit. I sincerely appreciate your review and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Northern Virginia area.

Matt James
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

The bed was very comfortable :). Free b'fast daily & evening snacks/lite dinner included on select evenings Nice to have a fridge. We had a 2 BR/2bath suite. Very clean and staff was friendly. The living room furniture probably needs replacing, but who really stays in their room a lot? Adequate. My main concern is a good nights sleep and this place has very comfy beds and pillows, soft but supportive.

Only drawback was it was not within walking distance of a Metro station & no shuttle to station. Also did not have lots of choices for restaurants nearby, but it was a reasonable price for the DC area. There is a nice restaurant across the large street though, but I would not wanted to eat here every day.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Matt J, General Manager at Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We love when we receive comments from a guest about their previous stay. We take pride in making sure each guest's stay is personalized and we strive to make sure the experience is enjoyable. Thank you again for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Fairfax Merrifield. We hope to see you in the near future.
Belleville, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed for a good price in a one-bedroom suite. We chose the hotel for its location, which is close enough to the friends we visited. Also, it's a relatively quick drive to the Dunn Loring Metro station (too far to walk & no hotel shuttle). The bedroom area of our suite held a very bouncy queen-size bed. The mattress seemed fine, so maybe the box springs were broken down. Whatever the problem, if one of us rolled over, the whole bed bounced around, too. The bedroom is very small with little clearance on the window side and at the foot of the bed.

The bathroom door would stick, making it an ordeal to open or close. Hard to imagine that housekeeping didn't report the problem. We did at checkout. My husband accurately described the towels as "exfoliating". We were annoyed that the housekeeping staff blocked the hallway with their carts as we were rolling our suitcases both to & from the room. One of us had to steer the cart out of the middle of the hallway to get by.

Overall, an average stay at an average, but usually expensive, Residence Inn. We won't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Matt J, General Manager at Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Greetings GoYadi,

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to make our guests’ stay more enjoyable. The entire team and I take interest in every guest’s comments and we strive to ensure our guests have a truly pleasurable experience. I genuinely hope you will give us another chance to serve you and your family when visiting the Northern Virginia area. Please feel free to contact if you ever return to the area; as I would love the opportunity to say hello personally.

Matt James

Been to Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield? Share your experiences!