“Hotel is being renovated” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mechanicsville
“Hotel is being renovated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Nothing on the Hampton Inn website to warn about much needed renovations. Bathroom door stuck, shower handle broken, one pillow smelled badly, tv kept drifting in and out. Highlight was the great staff from checking to breakfast these pros were great. Once Reno is completed I would highly recommend but not until then.

• Stayed February 2013
Hakoo B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond Mechanicsville, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
John H.

Thank you so much for choosing my hotel during your visit to Mechanicsville VA. I understand traveling can be stressful enough without that added hassle of a hotel being renovated.

I am truly sorry for any inconvenience regarding the renovations. I look forward to seeing you once the renovations are complete so you may enjoy our new hotel.

Secondly, Thank you for the generous comments you made regarding my staff. One thing i do pride this hotel with is that we have a very loving and attentive group of employees. We are certainly fortunate to have them with us.
Have a great day Mr. John H.
Brian Hansen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights. 4 adults + 2 large show dogs. Hotel staff very, very helpful. We had 2 bed queen suite with sofa and small kitchenette. Rooms were clean. Hotel quiet. Lobby under construction - but not a problem. Breakfast plain - scrambled eggs, make your own waffle, lots of cereal choices (individual boxes - not bins). Nothing fancy at breakfast - but it was fine. Very close to several restaurants (Cracker Barrel, Outback, Applebees, TGIFridays etc). Walmart next door. Easy access to I 295. Overall - no complaints at all. The hotel staff did everything we asked promptly and with no problems ( extra towels, driving directions, more eggs etc). WiFi worked well in room. Hotel was quiet.

Room Tip: Call hotel directly if you need larger room. We did not see the 2bed queen suite online - but when...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is my first stay at a Hampton Inn and visit to Richmond. I was pleasantly surprised with this budget hotel. The staff was welcoming, the property was newer and clean, the room was well appointed and the breakfast buffet in the morning did the trick. For the price you can't go wrong for convenience and overall value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
lake city, ar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The hotel was ok, There was 4 of us on this buisness trip, and so for the first time I got Double Beds, IF IT SAYS DOUBLE AND NOT QUEEN, DO NOT GET IT!!! Talk about small, but comfortable. The room was musty, I usually get high floors because the air is cleaner and fresher but this hotel didn't have many floors. I will try the Holiday Inn next time, I will not stay at this one if I can help it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hakoo B, Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond Mechanicsville, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It’s through the words and actions of our guests that we are able to grow.

I am truly sorry your stay with us did not meet your expectations. As our hotel ages we understand that steps need to be taken to insure quality. We are in the process of being renovated. I would love to have you back once renovations have been completed so we can provide the best experiences that is expected with the Hilton brand.

Have a wonderful day
Brian Hansen
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My son turned 30 this year and wanted a buffet style roast and toast.I have worked at a different one previously and the hospitality and customer service we were trained for was above and beyond. The event planner (Judy) in the beginning was accommodating and friendly. I needed seating for 30 people w/addt'l 3 tables for food. I was told that was no problem and if there weren't enough tables she would bring some in from other Hampton Inns. I was told they had white tablecloths but they were short ones so I know I have to purchase tableskirts that go to the floor and use the short ones for the top. I made many trips to decide table arrangement, lighting and decorating ideas and EACH TIME I called ahead to make sure the room was not being used for a meeting. I called the planner many times to set things up so this would be a flawless event. I gave my credit card for payment, signed the contract, emailed the seating arrangement and got my ABC license. Problem 1) I was told there were not enough tables & no more available anywhere else. I asked Judy to plead with the General Manager (Haqu) to get more tables. Apparently someone else needed more that used the room because on one of my visits there were 2 more tables. So now I only needed to bring in 1 more and 2 small ones for a bar & desert. 2) I told Judy and she said her GM would not allow any more tables to be brought in myself because of fire safety regulations. I called the Hanover Fire Marshall and she expressly told me this was not true as long as exits were clear. Judy is now starting to sound irritated with me for putting her in the position with her GM. After a lot of back and forth I got a call from Judy telling me I CAN bring them in. 3) On another call w/Judy I was told they did not have ANY white tablecloths, just red, blue & yellow. So NOW I have to buy tableskirts AND tablecloths! 4) I decide to book a guest room for my son to stay over. 2 months later I call to verify the room rate and the GM answered the front desk but stated she could not tell me how much the guest room is and I'd have to ask the event planner. If my room has been confirmed and I was quoted one price why can't she give me that information? Especially since she expressly told me previously I could not get a discount for booking just one guest room. She was not helpful. 5) I requested an early check-in so my son could enjoy the pool before his party at 5pm and a late check-out. The front desk receptionist (Shenita) told me she has no way of requesting this. Does not the front desk communicate w/housekeeping to AT LEAST TRY to get this specific room cleaned first so this is possible? I asked her to AT LEAST place it in the notes on the reservation. She was not helpful whatsoever. 6) I requested an earlier arrival time for me to set up and decorate as I was only given 1 hour to arrange tablecloths w/skirts, decorate tables & ceiling, arrange place settings, set up music and the stock the bar table. I was told 4 was the earliest. After pleading for weeks to get in earlier, someone else @ the front desk set me up for 3 at the earliest. This would still be nearly impossible. I would have to decorate, leave to get dressed myself and come back to the party before 5pm. If the meeting room was not booked by the day before (Friday) why can't I get in earlier just to decorate? 7) I secured a videographer to tape the Roast & we were to meet @ the facility. He wanted to get an idea of the lighting he made need to bring. There are 6 different ways lighting can be done in that room and of course I wanted different lighting for the dinner, roast & dancing. I called ahead (like I ALWAYS do) and was told by Shenita no one was using it. She asked me if I wanted to speak w/Judy and I said no because I'll be there shortly. I get all the way there w/him and Shenita went to the room but the door was locked. I said I wanted to see the lighting and she states the lighting is the same everywhere...WHAT?.what does that mean? She looked in the darkened room & saw that the room was being used after all. I asked to speak with Judy. She goes in the back and says Judy must have left. Wow, she was just there according to our phone call! By now I am a little peeved but he & I go into the lobby area so he can see my table layout at least. Here comes Judy with a man that seemed the owner or someone from HQ. So now Shenita has lied to my face. Judy's face is not friendly. She states she's already seen the table setup and I explain that it was not for her it's for the videographer. She states she won't let me in the room because it's being used & other people's things are in there, they're just on lunch break...as though I was pressing to get in! I was not! I stated I am fully aware I can't go in while it's being used! I would never! Then I stated I just wanted to show the videographer the lighting in the room I wanted but we can come back another time. This man standing there states "the lighting is the same"...at this point I am so irritated. The same as what? Wattage? The videographer is looking at me and he is aghast at how unfriendly these people he's just meeting are. We agree to just wing it and leave. 8) July 21, 2012 finally is here and I haven't spoken w/anyone @ the hotel since the last incident. I get there and 2 tables are not in the room. I panic. I'm anal about things going right & that's why I put so much time and energy into it myself, being fought every step it seems by the General Manager. I have too much to do to have to stop and deal with this. I go to the front desk (it's Shenita) and ask to see Judy or whoever is there. If they are so "on top" of things, why aren't my tables there? They had the set up for weeks! Here comes a new lady I'd not seen before. THIS LADY IS THE BEST THING that came out of the hotel. She immediately goes to a locked room across the hall & retrieves the 2 tables. When I went to set up a table I brought in for the bar, I notice I was given the wrong legs for it. This lady goes out and comes back in with THE PERFECT BAR TABLE. Whatever her name was, she saved me. Also, the girl that was @ the front desk BEFORE Shenita had been EXTREMELY nice and helpful to me throughout this process. 9) BECAUSE I COULDN'T GET INTO THE ROOM ANY EARLIER, I am standing on a table sweaty in a tee shirt & shorts when the GUESTS START ARRIVING! When the 1st one came, he helped me put the rest of the streamers up so I can Ieave and GO TO MY SON'S ROOM to dress....WE came up w/that so I wouldn't have to leave & go home. At this point, THERE ARE 4 COUPLES STANDING OUTSIDE the room, waiting to come in! I had to tell them start the music and get some drinks till I can get showered & come back! Another good thing is my son's room was beautiful. (a room I never got the chance to see) WHEW! After all this the party turned out great...all the aggravation. I WILL NOT USE THEIR meeting room again for ANYthing if the same management is there. Those people fought me every step of the way.

Room Tip: The King Suite with the jacuzzi is a beautifully decorated and clean room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Boca Grande, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here on our way to northern NY from Florida. The facility was clean, rooms very comfortable, beds wonderful. I requested a room on the first floor close to a exterioir door, this request was met with out any problems. The exterior where I walked my dog was clean and well lite. The staff was excellent, and very helpful. Restaurants close by, but not within walking distance. I would diffently stay and recommend this hotel to anyone traveling with 4 legged friends. I wish there where more like this facility.

Stayed July 2012
Attleboro, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here one night while travelling north with two cats. I picked it due to location, price, and most importantly allowing pets. The hotel grounds and parking lot are well lit, the check in staff welcoming, and the room was clean.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Richmond Mechanicsville? Share your experiences!