“Not What I am used to” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Mechanicsville
lake city, ar
“Not What I am used to”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The hotel was ok, There was 4 of us on this buisness trip, and so for the first time I got Double Beds, IF IT SAYS DOUBLE AND NOT QUEEN, DO NOT GET IT!!! Talk about small, but comfortable. The room was musty, I usually get high floors because the air is cleaner and fresher but this hotel didn't have many floors. I will try the Holiday Inn next time, I will not stay at this one if I can help it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hakoo B, Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond Mechanicsville, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It’s through the words and actions of our guests that we are able to grow.

I am truly sorry your stay with us did not meet your expectations. As our hotel ages we understand that steps need to be taken to insure quality. We are in the process of being renovated. I would love to have you back once renovations have been completed so we can provide the best experiences that is expected with the Hilton brand.

Have a wonderful day
Brian Hansen

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My son turned 30 this year and wanted a buffet style roast and toast.I have worked at a different one previously and the hospitality and customer service we were trained for was above and beyond. The event planner (Judy) in the beginning was accommodating and friendly. I needed seating for 30 people w/addt'l 3 tables for food. I was told that was no problem and if there weren't enough tables she would bring some in from other Hampton Inns. I was told they had white tablecloths but they were short ones so I know I have to purchase tableskirts that go to the floor and use the short ones for the top. I made many trips to decide table arrangement, lighting and decorating ideas and EACH TIME I called ahead to make sure the room was not being used for a meeting. I called the planner many times to set things up so this would be a flawless event. I gave my credit card for payment, signed the contract, emailed the seating arrangement and got my ABC license. Problem 1) I was told there were not enough tables & no more available anywhere else. I asked Judy to plead with the General Manager (Haqu) to get more tables. Apparently someone else needed more that used the room because on one of my visits there were 2 more tables. So now I only needed to bring in 1 more and 2 small ones for a bar & desert. 2) I told Judy and she said her GM would not allow any more tables to be brought in myself because of fire safety regulations. I called the Hanover Fire Marshall and she expressly told me this was not true as long as exits were clear. Judy is now starting to sound irritated with me for putting her in the position with her GM. After a lot of back and forth I got a call from Judy telling me I CAN bring them in. 3) On another call w/Judy I was told they did not have ANY white tablecloths, just red, blue & yellow. So NOW I have to buy tableskirts AND tablecloths! 4) I decide to book a guest room for my son to stay over. 2 months later I call to verify the room rate and the GM answered the front desk but stated she could not tell me how much the guest room is and I'd have to ask the event planner. If my room has been confirmed and I was quoted one price why can't she give me that information? Especially since she expressly told me previously I could not get a discount for booking just one guest room. She was not helpful. 5) I requested an early check-in so my son could enjoy the pool before his party at 5pm and a late check-out. The front desk receptionist (Shenita) told me she has no way of requesting this. Does not the front desk communicate w/housekeeping to AT LEAST TRY to get this specific room cleaned first so this is possible? I asked her to AT LEAST place it in the notes on the reservation. She was not helpful whatsoever. 6) I requested an earlier arrival time for me to set up and decorate as I was only given 1 hour to arrange tablecloths w/skirts, decorate tables & ceiling, arrange place settings, set up music and the stock the bar table. I was told 4 was the earliest. After pleading for weeks to get in earlier, someone else @ the front desk set me up for 3 at the earliest. This would still be nearly impossible. I would have to decorate, leave to get dressed myself and come back to the party before 5pm. If the meeting room was not booked by the day before (Friday) why can't I get in earlier just to decorate? 7) I secured a videographer to tape the Roast & we were to meet @ the facility. He wanted to get an idea of the lighting he made need to bring. There are 6 different ways lighting can be done in that room and of course I wanted different lighting for the dinner, roast & dancing. I called ahead (like I ALWAYS do) and was told by Shenita no one was using it. She asked me if I wanted to speak w/Judy and I said no because I'll be there shortly. I get all the way there w/him and Shenita went to the room but the door was locked. I said I wanted to see the lighting and she states the lighting is the same everywhere...WHAT?.what does that mean? She looked in the darkened room & saw that the room was being used after all. I asked to speak with Judy. She goes in the back and says Judy must have left. Wow, she was just there according to our phone call! By now I am a little peeved but he & I go into the lobby area so he can see my table layout at least. Here comes Judy with a man that seemed the owner or someone from HQ. So now Shenita has lied to my face. Judy's face is not friendly. She states she's already seen the table setup and I explain that it was not for her it's for the videographer. She states she won't let me in the room because it's being used & other people's things are in there, they're just on lunch break...as though I was pressing to get in! I was not! I stated I am fully aware I can't go in while it's being used! I would never! Then I stated I just wanted to show the videographer the lighting in the room I wanted but we can come back another time. This man standing there states "the lighting is the same"...at this point I am so irritated. The same as what? Wattage? The videographer is looking at me and he is aghast at how unfriendly these people he's just meeting are. We agree to just wing it and leave. 8) July 21, 2012 finally is here and I haven't spoken w/anyone @ the hotel since the last incident. I get there and 2 tables are not in the room. I panic. I'm anal about things going right & that's why I put so much time and energy into it myself, being fought every step it seems by the General Manager. I have too much to do to have to stop and deal with this. I go to the front desk (it's Shenita) and ask to see Judy or whoever is there. If they are so "on top" of things, why aren't my tables there? They had the set up for weeks! Here comes a new lady I'd not seen before. THIS LADY IS THE BEST THING that came out of the hotel. She immediately goes to a locked room across the hall & retrieves the 2 tables. When I went to set up a table I brought in for the bar, I notice I was given the wrong legs for it. This lady goes out and comes back in with THE PERFECT BAR TABLE. Whatever her name was, she saved me. Also, the girl that was @ the front desk BEFORE Shenita had been EXTREMELY nice and helpful to me throughout this process. 9) BECAUSE I COULDN'T GET INTO THE ROOM ANY EARLIER, I am standing on a table sweaty in a tee shirt & shorts when the GUESTS START ARRIVING! When the 1st one came, he helped me put the rest of the streamers up so I can Ieave and GO TO MY SON'S ROOM to dress....WE came up w/that so I wouldn't have to leave & go home. At this point, THERE ARE 4 COUPLES STANDING OUTSIDE the room, waiting to come in! I had to tell them start the music and get some drinks till I can get showered & come back! Another good thing is my son's room was beautiful. (a room I never got the chance to see) WHEW! After all this the party turned out great...all the aggravation. I WILL NOT USE THEIR meeting room again for ANYthing if the same management is there. Those people fought me every step of the way.

Room Tip: The King Suite with the jacuzzi is a beautifully decorated and clean room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Boca Grande, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here on our way to northern NY from Florida. The facility was clean, rooms very comfortable, beds wonderful. I requested a room on the first floor close to a exterioir door, this request was met with out any problems. The exterior where I walked my dog was clean and well lite. The staff was excellent, and very helpful. Restaurants close by, but not within walking distance. I would diffently stay and recommend this hotel to anyone traveling with 4 legged friends. I wish there where more like this facility.

Stayed July 2012
Attleboro, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here one night while travelling north with two cats. I picked it due to location, price, and most importantly allowing pets. The hotel grounds and parking lot are well lit, the check in staff welcoming, and the room was clean.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hagerstown, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My partner and I stayed here on our way down to Norfolk/ Virginia Beach. Our check in was swift and the staff were courteous. I found it odd, however, that the pool area was located right at the front of the building, near the entrance and lobby. it also had quite a few windows, almost making you feel like you were in a fishbowl being watched. Needless to say we didn't utilize the pool at all. There were a few other things here and there that showed the age of the hotel. The marble threshold to the elevator was badly cracked and worn, the carpet in the room was dated and stained. However, the room in general was spacious and comfortable. Our room faced the parking lot and was rather quiet. Breakfast was average, however the seating area and buffet could use an overall as they felt less than contemporary. One tip- if you ever go to a Hampton and there is sausage gravy and biscuits being served at breakfast, stay away! Over all we had a good stay, except for being rudely waved on by the front desk agent when trying to check out. She was on the phone with a guest, however believe those physical bodies in front of you come first anytime, so she should've put the person on hold to take care of us.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hakoo B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond Mechanicsville, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Good afternoon Mr. JacksonJeep.

First let me say how much I appreciate you choosing to stay at my hotel; moreover, thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of this property. It is with feedback like yours that helps us to grow and provide exceptional service.

As a building starts to show its age it can prove difficult to keep up with. We are in the beginning process of renovations and I would love to have you back so you can see the wonderful improvements we will have made.

Again, thank you for your words and your time.
Be Well
Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

This hotel was very good as a stopover with the typical high quality Hampton beds. Breakfast was adequate and all other facilities okay. Has a pool and fitness centre and all the amenities seemed fine. Seemed to be quite a few restaurants around the area but we only stayed for 1 night. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Motibhen, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond Mechanicsville, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you for taking time and doing a survey for us it was a pleasure to have you as our guests and will pass your kind sentiments to all our team members. Please come vist us again.

Hakoo Bilimoria (GM)
Rathdrum
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

For my first trip to Virginia, this hotel was a welcome surprise. The staff was friendly and more than accomodating. When stranded at a remote location, I called to see if they had a shuttle. They did not, however, one of the staff volunteered to pick me up and take me back to the hotel. This type of service is hard to find.
If I find myself in this region again, I would stay here over any other hotels offered.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Motibhen, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond Mechanicsville, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Mr. Steve

I am so happy that my staff made you welcome and tried to get you safely back to our hotel. I will convey your kind words to all my staff and please do come visit us again.

Ms Hakoo Bilimoria (GM)

Been to Hampton Inn Richmond Mechanicsville? Share your experiences!