“Worst place in the world” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Massanutten Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McGaheysville
Massanutten Resort
You added Massanutten Resort to your Saves list
1822 Resort Drive, McGaheysville, VA 22840   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
Pittsburgh,PA
“Worst place in the world”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

The people were the worst in the world. They cancelled my vacation without any notification. They were very unhelpful. They did not want to return any of my deposit even though it was them who cancelled the vacation. They will steal your money every chance you get. What a crock of [--].

Stayed April 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2007

Took the family for the 3 day 2 night trip to Massanutten in exchange for the 90 min. presentation.

Of course I wanted something for nothing or I wouldn’t have done it. I got the 3 days and 2 nights, my $100 deposit back , water park passes for each of us, an additional $100 Visa card, booklet for activities (I think it was 4 rounds of mini-golf, two lift tickets and a partridge in a pear tree or something like that) and a $25 dining certificate to one of the restaurants.

Pretty darn good. I got a bunch of something for nothing.

And yes the Hotel there is pretty... rustic... there is a reason the literature doesn't mention a bidet in the room, know what-I-mean.

We had a blast! Water Park was great! Mini-golf was a lot of fun too! Wish it had more of a theme for the kids though… it was more of an adult version with no clowns heads or windmills and stuff – just putting greens of varying challenging degrees. But the kids had fun anyway.

Spent some time in Harrisonburg – which is quite the retail extravaganza by the way. (If you are going out there to eat on a weekend night make reservations somewhere or be prepared for the madness) Any chain restaurant you can imagine is there and a bunch of originals too, chain grocery stores (don’t bother traveling with more food and snacks than you need for the car ride), etc.

Honestly didn’t do much else the resort had to offer – but we saw a lot – we just needed way more time. It was like overload. There is so much to do. We will scam our way back at some point or buy on the resale market because it’s worth it. Notice I said nothing abut buying from them is worth it – except in one case and one case only, but I’ll get to that later.

You name an outdoor activity and its there. And many indoor ones as well. No matter what anyone says good or bad abut this place no one can deny the abundance of activities.

OK THE DREADED 90 minutes. Actually it wasn’t that bad at all – but I do have some things to say about it. Our appointment was scheduled for Sun. at 8:30 AM – we got there on Fri. Night so it’s really like a 2 day 2 night deal. We called and changed it to 9:30 AM – good thinking by the wife.

We were dreading the time for the kids more than ourselves really. All you with kids know that two adults having to listen to a 90 min. timeshare speech is annoying but add 3 kids under 9 to the mix and … I’m not sure what hell really is like, but that has to be a preview anyway. We were so glad to find out that as long as your kids are potty trained they have a room, with older ladies moderating, that has video games, crafts, toys etc. My daughter spent the time making crafts for mommy… dad gets nothing,,, I’ll be ok. *sniff* *sniff* She actually had fun. Kudos to Massanutten on that one for sure. Of course this took away one escape plan of mine which was going to be to let the kids loose, unleash their true selves, as if we were at home and the Power Rangers came on ..’Go forth my children… and destroy’. Ahhh I got a few more up my sleeve anyway (excuses to get out of buying… not children).

Not really too much pressure. Pleasant surprise. But the grammar school tactics were laughable. The Closer Lady: In hushed confidential tones…”Well, I’m not suppose to do this but… a friend of mine just sold to upgrade and I can get you in for $9,900. But only because I like you and your kids”. Sales lady: “What! I bought here myself, as I told you, and I paid waaay more for mine… how can you do that (sic) Closer Lady?!” Closer Lady: “Shhh… I’m not really suppose to…” essh… my kids do a better job when I ask who hit the giant marble through the 36” TV screen with the aluminum bat? “What? What bat? We didn’t do it. Up until now my response is that maybe someone broke in – not to steal the TV - but just to hit a giant marble through it with an aluminum bat – in broad daylight – . Hmmm now that I think about it…maybe these two ladies did sneak in to my house and do it.

Let’s just say that by the time I walked out Laurel and Hardy offered me 4 (2 weeks w/ lock off option) weeks and 4 bonus weeks (each year) and the Gold card thingy allowing access on a daily basis for the entire family for life for the sum of $23,000. Honestly if I had $23,000 lying around or maybe even if I wanted 8 weeks at Massanutten a year, I might have done it. Truth be told it was a pretty good offer. But… did I mention I need a new TV and other things right now so I think I’ll stick to going on eBay and buying my lil’ ole’ one week (white or blue) for $100.

Make no mistake about it they are good at sales – really good. I’m usually pretty steadfast and I was like… “hmm, look at this Hun..” The only thing that really stopped me is that we were short on diaper money for our youngest just that morning and it was a reality check before I even got there. Plus I was never good with ultimatums so when I asked for a few days to look it over and they of course say nope... it’s now or never… the choice is easy for me…never from you…see you on eBay, kid.

Unless you go there with $23,000 cash in hand and you know you want to buy… my advice is to tell yourself that I don’t care what they offer, weeks, reduction in price, benefits, bionic powers, etc. The answer will be no.

Now, as I said before there is one condition I would have bought. If I lived right next to the resort I would buy. The Gold card thing allows you access to the property for life and you can swap your place for a vacation somewhere else.

The only drawback to buying on resale is that the gold card and bonus weeks don’t transfer.

But that’s my opinion…

Stayed March 2007
Raleigh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

We stayed in a 2 BR condo at "The Summit" at Massanutten for a 3 nights in January. The condo was very spacious and well-equipped, nice kitchen plus laundry facilites & enough room for our family of 6, but some of the furnishings were old (e.g. some chair cushions had lost their "cush").

We are beginning skiers, so the skiing was fine, but more experienced skiers might find the slopes too limited. We were there on the first cold days after an extended warm period, so the slopes had snow-blowers going on all the time which made for an unpleasant experience on the slopes being blasted in the face with icy sleet all day long. We did try the tubing also, and that was fun.

We attended the timeshare seminar and that was a huge pain. I would strongly advise against this if you can avoid it. They kept us over 3.5 hours instead of the promised 2 - it was exhausting and unnecessary.

It also snowed while we were there and the resort was extremely slow to clear the roads, which were treacherous up at The Summit where we were staying. there was an accident and a huge traffic jam that left us hiking home on foot ne day. On the positive side, the on-site security was really nice and sent a 4-wheel drive car for us and drove us to the waterpark one day when we were "stranded" due to the icy roads. (all they asked is that we sign a small waiver ;-)

Which brings me to the waterpark - which is fabulous. It uses salt instead of chlorine so it is so pleasant, clean, and fun. It was not crowded at all when we were there. The kids had a blast! The slides use the stoplight system and there are attendants at every slide, so the attention to safety was very good. The waterpark is expensive but worth it. I realized after I went that I could have gotten a discount to the waterpark by showing our ski or tubing passes, oh well.

This resort really specializes in having tons of things to do, and we did not get to everything in our 3 days. They have classes, kid camp, other indoor pools, and a lot of other recreational activities that we did not try. I would recommend the resort to families with kids of different ages, since there are so many things to do in the area.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Haledon, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2007

My family and I just returned from a week long trip to Massanutten. After reading some of the negative reviews I was a bit concerned about the resort, but we were all pleasantly suprised! We have a 13 yr old daughter a 12 yr old son and a 2 yr old son -- they all enjoyed themselves. We stayed at Woodstone Meadows which is a newer part of the complex down at the base of the mountains. The condo we had was 2 br and 2 bath - full kitchen and lr -- it was immaculate and spacious -- I can't say enough good things about the accomodations. This is an enormouse property with many different areas of condos/townhouses and hotel units -- I can't speak for the condition of the other units around the resort. The ski area was nice -- not like skiing VT, but perfect for a few days of family fun and not very crowded even on this holiday week. The indoor water part is great fun -- all the kids had a great time. We also enjoyed using the basketball courts & raquetball courts at the rec center. You will need a car to travel around the resort, but this is a beautiful part of the country and the scenery is amazing. We did purchase the activity cards which gave us great discounts for skiing and use of the water park. We also visited the Shennandoah caverns which the kids loved and the Natural Bridge which is about 1 hr away but nice to see. One bit of advice is to book any activities you want to partake in as soon as you get to the resort. We waited til midweek and by then there was no availability in any of the classes we were interested in. I would highly recommend this resort for families -- we will definitly visit Massanutten again :)

• Liked — clean and spacious!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
washington,dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2007

My sister and her mother in law has a time share at Massenutten, my other sister and I stayed at the Eagle Trace property.At first glance the accomodations were nice, but once we unpacked and took a good look around, boy what a difference!!! WE HAD TO DISSENFECT the spa tub, with bleach , it was gross!! the bathroom sink had water damage all around the bottom, which signaled to me , possible mold!! The beds were just flat out disgraceful!! The one bed had the entire box spring bottom covering hanging off! the bed i slept in had a sink hole. The televisons were so tiny you could barely see from across the room. Most hotels now have flat screens. For 150.00 a night, I was not impressed. They really need to address some of these issues. And then everything we did cost an arm and a leg. We went bowling , but that was way in the neighboring town. 30-40 minute ride. I;m sure as big as Massanutten is they could have their own bowling alley. I don't think I will be back any time soon.

Stayed February 2007
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

My wife and I were given a free weekend at the resort. We never
intended to buy, but there are so many things to do in the area
and the condos are perfect for us, that we bought two time shares and now have 5 weeks a year to enjoy.....

Stayed October 2006
raleigh, nc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2007

We rented 3 condos at the Summit at Massanutten. Our rooms were very large. They were very comfortable for everyone in our party. The decor is a bit dated but you can tell that the resort is trying to update. There are only dvd players in the living room. VCRs and Tvs in the two bedrooms. The TV channels are a bit limited - no Disney Channel, a disappointment for our sons.

Like our reviewers have noted- everything is a bit pricey. The $38 charge for the water park was too much for our budget. The water park looks exciting and new but not big enough for that much money. There are no discounts for RCI members- you would think that the Resort would want our return business. I was disappointed by the lack of consideration of our RCI membership.

We did go tubing. The lines were long and we only went down the hill 7 times in 2 hours. That's not a good deal for $22- the price some in our group paid for the special holiday pricing.

Harrisonburg, isn't too far for a trip to the Target or various dining options. There's not a whole lot of options close the resort- a food lion and burger king. You have to drive everywhere- and everything is a the bottom of the mountain.

The pool at Le Club was crowd on Sun night. The water was cool but the baby pool was clean. The game room looked dated and overpriced. There is a newer game room at the water park.

The timeshare folks did call at 9a every morning. If you are staying awhile wait it out the offer always gets better. We didn't attend the presentation but we saw lots of people on tour with the sales people.

We did enjoy our visit but I'm not sure there's enough for our family to go back many more years-

• Liked — The large room size- our condo was the size of a two room apartment!
  • Disliked — The high prices for every activity at the resort.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!