“Unprofessional -- Lack of customer service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Massanutten Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McGaheysville
Massanutten Resort
You added Massanutten Resort to your Saves list
1822 Resort Drive, McGaheysville, VA 22840   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
Virginia
“Unprofessional -- Lack of customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

I received an offer through the mail to visit this place for free (2 nights, 3 days) provided that I attend a 90-minute presentation. The presentation lasted about 4 HOURS and since it was scheduled for me (I was not asked when I would like to attend it) I couldn't plan an all-day activity on the day of my presentation. The person giving me the tour was nice, but her "manager" was pushy. After I agreed not to buy, I was taken to another room where someone else was pushing me into buying this timeshare. And this woman was RUDE to me -- even insulting me. Anyway, this is just part of the story.

On the first morning when I was staying in their hotel, I was awoken by VERY LOUD banging. I thought someone was pounding on my door, so I didn't know if it was room service, or if this was an evacuation, etc. So I made some phone calls to try to figure out what was going on. Some of the people I talked to were RUDE and one person didn't seem to care when I said I would not be staying here in the future. Nonetheless, no one could explain to me what was going on, so I walked upstairs to the room above me and they were installing carpet! So why was I placed in a room when there was going to be maintenance going on above my room??? Overall, the customer service was very poor and unprofessional. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this place to others -- although I can't complain about getting a free hotel room & a free $100 gift card. You'd just have to ask yourself if all the free stuff is worth your time & the gas money to get here.

• Stayed November 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Tonawanda NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2006

This was a beautiful time of the year to go to Massanutten .Its spread out within a valley and there is plenty to do for all ages. We stayed in a real nice 1 bedroom unit with a full Kitchen all you need to bring is coffee filters and condiments also there was no stereo in our unit other than the clock radio. The A units have the full kitchen and the B units have a hot tub. The only downfall is that you had to drive every where within the resort, so it makes it difficult with only one vehicle. They should offer some kind of transportation.

We opted to purchase the activity cards that must be purchased on the 1st day you register ($99 for adult’s $49 child) so go to the web site and download the activities schedule to decide if it’s right for you. For us it was definitely worth it. Every thing is either free or discounted with the card. Candle making is a must the guy is sooo funny. My wife liked the Yoga classes. Pretty much everything we tried was enjoyable .We went to the Shenandoah Caverns (free with card) it was spectacular and was the only cavern with an elevator.
We spent a fall day at Shenandoah National Park. Try to pick a clear day for the best views. The trails a very well marked and maps are available at the visitor centers. We took 3 hikes that day .some had waterfalls and others beautiful views .feel free to email me if interested in info (kgrabow112@aol.com).

We also took a chairlift ride (free with card) at the resort if you walk a little further from the end of ride there is a gorgeous view by the cell towers. Also went on a scheduled wine tour (free with card) that included a bus ride and tasting. They had a comic night, a magic show, movie nighttime dye shirts and much more. If you golf the card is a must its only $5.00 per 18 holes the lower course is the easier one. They have an indoor water park that is real nice.

This is a first class resort and we will return again

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2006

I received a phone call one evening saying that I had won a 3 day 2 night stay at this resort. I did not beleive it but decided to listen to what they had to say. My fiance and I decided to take the trip to the resort on a day we both already had off (to see what it was all about). Our (90 min) tour begein at 1:00 pm and did not end until 6:00 pm. The place is beautiful and our tour guide was very nice. But the rooms where not to exciting, I have stayed in better hotel rooms, and I have a bigger TV at my house. I was getting very upset twords the end of the tour, we had been in the car for 5 hours and still had not eaten or drank anything. Once she finaly took us back to the holding area she continued to make us buy this time share. We kept on telling her no and she kept on prosistiing. I found this very interesting about how prosistne she was because when the tour frist begain she told us "I know that you are young and I would not want someone selling this to my 19 year old daughter, so I am not going to try and sell you anything". Then she just passed us on to more and more people until finaly we could leave. We went to the last room and the lady did give us a $25 gift cert. to a pizza shop up home, a
$225 visa gift card and our free stay at there resort. It was now 6 at night and we still had a 3 hour drive infront of us. I thought this was very rude becuase she new that we where from out of state. I am a little conserned to return for my 3 day 2 night stay, Im thinking we will not be treated very nice because we did not want what they had to offer.

• Liked — The view was beautiful
  • Disliked — The people not letting you leave.
  • Tips/Secrets — Tell them you only want to be on the tour for 90 min not 5 hours
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bracebridge, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2006

We just returned from Massanutten in the middle of September and it was great. There were 11 of us (all family) staying in three condos. Two were the Mountainside Villas and one in the Shenandoah Villas at Killy Court.

The Mountainside Villas were absolutely fabulous with plenty of room, making them ideal for family dinners and the get togethers. The Shenandoah unit was actually three hotel rooms joined together and was not of the same caliber as the mountainside villas or the eagle trace units.

There was tons to do at the resort and we partook in most of it. Most of us purchased activity passes and played a lot of golf. The upper course was our favourite even though 9 of the 18 holes are under construction. Once these are done the upper course will be great. The lower course was nice but the two minor issues I have are A) the developement closing in what use to be a beautiful back nine. B) the ninth hole is NOWHERE near the clubhouse making a nine hole round awkward.

The new go karts are not included in the activity card but are well worth the $7. We had a great time on these carts.

While we did not go to the waterpark on this visit we did have a look through the complex and will probably give it a whirl next time!

All in all a great trip!

• Liked — The mountainside units were fabulous
  • Disliked — The Shenandoah Villas were basically hotel rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — NO high speed internet on site
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2006

My family went for the free 3-day getaway in late Aug. Our sale rep was very professional, and we received no hassles after saying "NO" a few times. We were "let go" after a 2-hr presentation. The resort is big in area, and offers loads of activities. We enjoyed the swimming, summer tubing, and chair lift. The tickets were actually very reasonably priced. My family had a great time, especially my wife, who is hard to please. The only drawbacks were insufficient lighting at night given the hilly roads, and the lousy free breakfast before the presentation.

• Liked — A lot of things to do
  • Disliked — Hilly roads and insufficient lights
  • Tips/Secrets — Be mindful someone would sell you something if you're going for a freebie
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

Although i read mixed reviews my family had a great time. I traveled with 4 kids ranging from 4 months to 7 yrs old. my 5 and 7 yr old took advantage of the activity card that is $49. you save alot because there is good discounts for the camps and waterpark and also free stuff just for having the card. i would not recomend for the adults its $100 unless you are really going to do alot to make up that money. When you check in if they offer you breakfast or money or anything that is FREE they are trying to get you to sit in on their timeshare briefing. I knew about this from previous reviews so I just said NO and enjoyed my vacation. Very quit place. the pools are nice and there are lots of amenities to take advantage of. vist the massresort.com website. We stayed at the Eagle trace with full kitchen more than enough room and saved alot of money by going to the supermarket and cooking everything. This place is 5 miles from the other resorts. Next time i would rather stay at woodstone much closer to everything. Very enjoyable. We went to the waterpark 2 times during our stay it was really fun even for the adults. no crowded at all very short waits for even the tube rides.
if your looking for a family vacation here it is.

Stayed July 2006
MARYLAND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

I was very excited about having a free vacation for my family. I was told I would only have to listen to a 90 min presentation. I was scheduled for 8 am and it lasted til 4:00pm. I was VERY irritated. The sales rep was very polite, but the presentation goes on and on. I told him my children were waiting back at the hotel with friends and that they had not eaten and all the ploy was to get my husband and I to sign up. Even though I stressed the importance of not being able to take full advantage of the bonus offers, i.e. waterpark, golf, skylift offer, he still kept up his ploy. My children were very upset. I had wasted their entire day; which was supposed to be the best day. I was scheduled to check out that day by 11 am, so there was nothing to do but eat and get on the road. To make up a little, I took them to Luray Caverns which was a very nice experience. That made up some for there wasted time. The waterpark was very nice from the outside. I ended up buying, but after I have gotten home and read the fine print, I am canceling the contract. In hindsight, the whole presentation is a gimmick. Pay close attention to these reviews. You will find that what people are writing about is exactly how the game is played to get you to sign up. I wish I had read up on this resort prior to going. My dad often told me, " If it sounds to good to be true, it normally is!!" The resort itself appeared to very well kept and the staff was friendly. There is NO NIGHTLIFE after 10pm. This was a big disappointment. when you are on vacation, you expect to have things to do at least til 12 am. You must drive everywhere. There is no shuttle service available on the property to take you to the various spots. The water aerobics class was good for the body. to save yourself a regular workday with the sales rep- be adamant about your time restraints and if you didn't plan to buy, don't allow them to pressure you. They wear you out with the time and before you know it, u agree to buy just to get rid of them. take your tour the first day so you have the rest of the time to just vacation!!

• Liked — THE WATERPARK
  • Disliked — THE SALES PRESENTATION
  • Tips/Secrets — TAKE THE SALES TOUR ON YOUR FIRST DAY AND A THE LASTEST TIME POSSIBLE
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!