“Woodstone at Massanutten Review.. I will actually give it a 4 1/2 rating” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Massanutten Resort

You added Massanutten Resort to your Saves list
Massanutten Resort
1822 Resort Drive, McGaheysville, VA 22840   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
Frederick, Maryland
“Woodstone at Massanutten Review.. I will actually give it a 4 1/2 rating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the condo's at Woodstone at Massanutten. We stayed for 7 days due to someone giving us the time to go through their time share. I have to admit, I was surprised at how nice our room was and the amount of things to do.On thing to beware of is that when they as you to use your card for incidentals for your room, only if you want to use, they will tell you there is no charge on it..But they will put a $300.00 hold on it without telling you, and then put it back if you do not use it for any room charges. My advice would not be to give them your card for incidentals...
We decided to do the Activity Cards which did save a little money of the activities. There are a ton of things to do each day, but you will still pay a discounted priced for some of the activities. Some are free, but there still are fees that you will pay based off of what you want to do. We made more money back in doing the Time share presentation. They will offer you an array of deals that suite your needs, to get you to do the tour. My advise is to do the tour on a rainy day if you have one during you stay. It will take 2 to 3 hrs. On our day, we luck up and got a great salesman and crew that took us around. I know they use all kind of tactics to get you to buy, but we did enjoy our tour of the whole resort. Based on the research and knowing we wanted to eventually get a timeshare anyway, we decided to go with a deal that worked for us. There is a difference is the Woodstone Condo's and the hotels at Massenutten, so don't get it confused. I am seeing that the rating change off of where you stay at the resort. This can be rather expensive if you don't plan you stay. My advise would be to download the activities you want to do, call the concierge desk to chat about your options before you go, and know each day what you at least are planning to do, and adjust where you need to. The water park is very nice with a huge Arcade, restaurants and some other nice things. It is much larger than Great Wolf Lodge with the exception of the Tornado water slide that most of the GWLodges have.

Over all, I am looking forward to going back and have some fun time with my family at this resort. Just make sure you plan things out before you go, in knowing your budget. I am know an new owner here and I think it was a good investment. :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Resort itself I would return to but the staff needs some motivation(maybe a little happy music or something). The price for a room was really great! However with this being our first visit there was no real account for the EXTRA expenses, from what I understood even if you own their timeshare, you have to pay for activity passes (current deal is $99 for a pass, and yes you do still have to pay for the BEST activities its just at a "discounted rate"). The prices ranged from free to like $50/adult that's not including the kid(s) in several different activities(w/o a pass). We read in their activities booklet that their Waterpark( LOADS of FUN!!!) has two passes to CHOOSE from, but when we got there we had no choice but to pay for ALL DAY PASSES, we had plans to do several events that day the waterpark was suppose to be just one of them. The price for (2) adults and (1)4y/o($26) was $104, plus you had to get a locker $10. This was absurd, being as though there was restrictions placed on using some of the water areas. If I pay $120 for my family to be entertained, I want all accommodations to be made so that no matter the age there is a way to make it happen, and IF not then they should have some kind of age advisory. The place isn't super exciting and the activities are pretty spaced out; you will definitely need a vehicle to get around. Only reason I give them "VERY GOOD" is because of the scenery...THAT'S Pretty much it. If you're out late or a night owl there is nothing for you to do here. You would have to drive 15mins up the road to get food unless you don't mind the Convenient store in the gas station, which is still about 5mins away in the car. It's pretty good for entertaining a family with different interest of entertainment, but you WILL definitely pay for it! Money Scale $-$$$$, We stayed there for 2nights in a double bed room with 2 adults and 3 children from the ages of 1-4years and we spent $500 for food(in and out of resort), entertainment, and gas. I give it $$$and a half. Come prepared to spend. I definitely didn't leave feeling like I got $500 worth of vacation, fun, customer service, or quality. If I'm on vacation I want everyone to around me to make the surroundings feel like a vacation! Especially for that kind of dough.

Room Tip: Be specific with what kind of "great view" you're looking for. We asked for a great vi...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

All aspects of the resort were very good with one exception. At check-in we were offered two free Activity cards ($198 value) if we heard a two hour presentation. We agreed - what a mistake. After two hours we were stuck in the sales guys car in a remote area of the resort. He said the presentation was going to take at least another two hours and if we didn't want to our credit card would be charged. The conversation then got ugly. Wasting 4 hours of your vacation isn't worth it. Overall a great resort. Just stay away from the time share trash.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor - no noise problems. Check out Luray caverns and Montacello.
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Bottom Line up front.....Meh.

We recently stayed at Woodstone at Massanutten for a few day on a trip through Virginia and Washington DC. My in-laws booked our days at Massanutten because they have blue green points and for some reason they thought it would be a convienent central location to visit historic sites. It was not convienient.

The resort is located in the Shenendoah Valley a few miles east of US81 at Harrisonburg. The natural beauty of the landscape is impressive but the resort itself (The woodstone units in particular) do not take this account. My first impression was that it looked like a Military Installation where the multi family buildings were placed more for utility and cost savings than to incorporate them into the landscape. After the check in process and invitation for a free breakfest and time share presentation we headed down into the valley to our unit.

The units themselves are quite spacious. There is a huge jacuzzi bathtub that could easily hold four adults inside each unit. My kids definately thought that was cool. But other than that everything else was, in my opinion, cheap. Vinyl Siding, Lanoleaum flooring, worn carpeting, furniture, and fixtures. The units were mostly clean but it just wasn't nice. The best way to describe it would be to imagine the least expensive production (cookie cutter) homes that are being built today. That's what these units look like. It was as if they went into a Menards and bulit the entire resort with the least expensive closeout building materials available.

Like I said the units were mostly clean. And we knew we were not going to be spending a lot of time there anyways so If you are just lloking for a place to rest your head its perfectly fine; but if you are going for a romantic getaway this resort is not going to make anyone feel special.

Another issue was that everything is far away. The pool is a good 1.5 miles uphill. There are hardly any restaraunts on the resort. And for the most part there is nothing of note in and around the resort either. It did have a golf course although I am not a golfer and cant speak to whether it is good or bad. On the day that it rained I sat there and watched the paint dry.

The resort was a good 2 hours away from most of the historic sites that we wanted to see and as such was not really a good location to serve as a base point for exploring Virginia's rich history either.

All in all it was pretty underwhelming. Very clean but cheaply made and boring. I will never be back and would not reccomend this to a friend. Like I said Massa-nothing.

Room Tip: If you need more than one unit make sure you ask that they share a common entry. Each building has...
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Second time at this resort. All other reviews are accurate regarding variety of activities. Golf is a great deal with the $100 Activity Card. Our 1-bedroom unit (w/ full kitchen) was very spacious and comfortable for 2-4 people, but the 1-bedroom unit (with partial kitchen) was too small for a family of 4. Even for 2 people, I would recommend the full kitchen unit (Woodstone)...great jacuzzi tub.

I was disappointed by the lost & found/security team here. Within hours of checking out, I contacted them about a few items that were left behind by our companions who were staying in the smaller unit. We were certain about the exact location of these items...but housekeeping never turned them in and that was that. Strongly recommend that you thoroughly inspect the unit before leaving. Check-out is early (10 am) and you have a list of tasks to do (throw out all garbage & recycling, empty fridge, load dishwasher, collect all linens)....so give yourself extra time in the morning, especially if you have kids. My husband and I had to leave a day early....so we had plenty of time to enjoy the morning, check out and make sure we didn't leave anything behind....no mad rush for us. :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MassResort, Manager at Massanutten Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us at Massanutten Resort. We are happy that you chose us for your families’ vacation. Unfortunately, lost items are not always recovered. Please know that we strive to recover items that our guests leave behind. Our Security Team would be happy to discuss this matter with you in detail. Feel free to contact us at 540.289.4054 or email lostandfound@massresort.com. Thank you.
long island New york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great for couples,family beautiful, so much to do most things cost but we didn't mind, we were there with our grand children & we had a wonderful time! You don't have to leave the resort if you don't want to . We did. Lots to do beautiful Mountains etc.need a car to appreciate the area. Condos were immaculate golf courses crafts, dive in movies indoor water park etc you can go on line to their web site (google it I don't remember it) they have a complete schedule of everything going on every day and night. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The two bedroom sleeps 6 they say but if you have small children you can sleep 8 or more since you h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We're here right now. We like the condo. as it's very clean and very comfortable. We have a beautiful view of the mountains. So, why the three star rating? Just too much noise from the people above! Someone is always jumping around and banging hard on the ceiling. Last night, we heard drilling, as if the person were using some machine, at 10:30 p.m.! Called the front desk, but nothing happened. Had to call the front desk again today due to the noise of doors banging, loud thuds, as if some wild animal were let loose. At least there was no sound of drilling today! Requested a change of room due to the noise but were told that the people above were leaving. Excuse me? When exactly are they leaving? Front desk not helpful at all.
The setting is very pretty and you can go for nice long walks. Nearby, there are vineyards and caves which are all worth exploring. There are lots of activities offered, but you pay for them. I attended the Zumba class and paid $5. That's not a bad price, and the instructor was excellent.
I'd figure out which activities you'd like to participate in before buying the activity fee, however.
The restaurants at the resort aren't so great, but we stocked up on provisions at Martin's, the supermarket in Harrisonburg. There's also a really good Target in Harrisonburg. The Log Cabin BBQ place down on the main road is good and quite handy.
I'd request a room with a nice view. I'd also request a room on the top floor. When we checked in I requested both of these. I was given a room with a view, but not on the top floor. Hence the inconvenience of listening to a lot of noise above us.

Room Tip: Top floor - to diminish noise from above. Also, request a room with a nice view. That could be of th...
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!