“Good base for a weekend with friends” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Massanutten Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McGaheysville
Massanutten Resort
You added Massanutten Resort to your Saves list
1822 Resort Drive, McGaheysville, VA 22840   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
MA
“Good base for a weekend with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We traveled with another couple, so we booked 2 units beside each other. It was nice to be able to keep our doors open, and shut the main hall door. The units were nicely furnished, and had all the kitchen amenities that we needed. Check in was a long wait, and they didn't give us lots of clear information about the resort (specifically we needed to find a market). We took the lift chair on Sunday which was beautiful! We stayed in Woodstone Meadows Casa de Campo, which is fairly new so the grounds aren't as lush. Our balcony looked out onto someone else's balcony - not conducive to sitting outside!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Rockwood, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I found the Woodstone at Massanutten to be one of my favorite resorts. My husband and I were basically looking for an available resort near the Shenandoah National Park to see the fall colors, but had a fun filled week and could have easily stayed longer. The condo was very nice and clean. It had a huge jacuzzi tub and beautiful view of the mountains and golf course. This was our first trip we took without the kids, so we were not interested in the water park, but instead we went on a kayak trip and took the Washington DC tour. The kayak trip on the Shenandoah river was a lot of fun. The little rapids made it exciting and the scenery was beautiful. The DC trip was a full day, from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm. It took 2 1/2 hours to get there, but I slept on the way there and they stopped for dinner on the way home. They had it timed out perfectly to allow you enough time to stop and see all the memorials. The tour guide was such a sweetheart and was very informative and entertaining. On a rainy day we went to the Luray Caverns and it was a nice tour. I mainly enjoyed the drive to get there. The fall colors were changing before our eyes while we were there. The other thing I loved about Massanutten was the location. It was only about 10 minutes away from the Shenandoah National Park. It worked out pefectly for us that we were closest to the middle entrance to the Skyline Drive from Hwy 33. The Skyline Drive is about 105 miles long and also has a North and South entrance. Since we entered from the middle, we spend one day driving North up to Front Royal and back, than the next day, we drove South down to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We stopped along the way and hiked some trails to some very awesome overlooks. My personal favorites are Bearfence Mtn, Blackrock Summit, Riprap trail to Chimney Rock, and Hump Rock (just outside the National Park, South entrance). We found that the park gets very crowded on the weekends, but we had the entire park to ourselves during the week. I got more than I wanted and expected from this resort. This was a very large resort and you had to drive everywhere. It has two Markets to pick up basic groceries, but there are also nearby towns between 7 to 10 miles away, Harrisonburg and Elkton with many stores and restaurants.

South Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Check in – Easy breezy. Arrived at 4pm, contrary to reviews that I had read was not made to wait till 5pm, was able to check in early. A minor glitch with my reservation was quickly resolved, and off we went to our room in Woodstone.

Tour – We said no at check in, had to say it a few times but no issues, no attitudes. Then we got a call the next morning at 9:15, which I didn't answer... we then unplugged the phones and that was the end of that. No hassle, no headache.

Activities – The chair lift ride was awesome. We got excellent shots going up, at the top, and coming down. Thank you to the six senior citizens who hogged the ledge with the amazing view at the top of the mountain and wouldn’t move to let anyone else experience sitting on the side of the mountain. We also walked through the Water Park and I can see how kids can spend hours here. Lots to do both summer and winter. Didn’t do the petting farm because there were bees around and I’m allergic, but there looked to be a lot to do between the petting farm and the horses.

Room – My husband and I had read several reviews about the various sections at Massanutten. I was looking forward to rustic ambience in a woodsy setting with great views and deer in the yard. My husband had read criticisms of Eagle Trace and wanted to stay at Woodstone. He’s a bigger whiner than I am, so we ended up booking Woodstone. Woodstone is lovely and our room was just this side of perfect... but lacked the character of the locations on the side of the mountain. Our Woodstone views were largely of parking lots on both sides of us. Just lacking in personality overall. But....nothing whatsoever wrong with our unit, I highly recommend it if you think you would not be disappointed not being on the mountain. There was not a thing wrong with the unit itself, but the exterior flavour/views were lacking compared to what we saw while driving around the other sections.

Eagle Trace on the Hill has excellent views, don’t know what the interior of the units look like though. We saw deer that allowed us to get very close for pictures, weren’t spooked by our car at all. Eagle Trace in the Valley, from what we saw, seems more secluded and has less in terms of mountain views, but still the woodsy, secluded ambience that I was looking for. Eagle Trace at Killey Court looked older and in need of renovation from the outside. When you book through RCI you have an option of Eagle Trace or Eagle Trace at Killey Court, so if you book Eagle Trace (not Eagle Trace Killey Court) you should not end up in the less desirable Killey Court location. The Summit section also looks to have great views and I think these units are newer. Again, nothing wrong with Woodstone, just not the vibe I was looking for.

We stayed in Woodstone 60Y, an end unit. 2 br 2 ba full kitchen. No one was staying upstairs so I have no comment re: issues with thin walls. The unit is bright and spacious and comfortable. The bath off the master br was almost as large as the bedroom itself. Stall shower and hot tub. I have to say my only criticisms, and they are minor, are with the bathroom. There was no framed art or anything on the walls. Given how large the room is, in my opinion it needed something on the walls. Also the walls surrounding the hot tub are fully mirrored. Now I don’t know about you, but for me, nothing is going to kill a romantic moment like catching a glimpse of my fat azzz in 3 mirrors lol. Six rolls of toilet paper between the two bathrooms. Bedding and pillows - contrary to reviews - very comfortable. The kitchen had about everything we needed for the week, though there was no pizza pan or cookie sheet so we had to improvise a little. Coffee maker and packet for 10 cups of coffee are provided. Mini Palmolive for dishes and about 10 Finish tablets for dishwasher, and a roll of paper towels. Odd little thing about the kitchen, most of the cabinet doors wouldn’t fully close, stayed ajar about an inch. Washer dryer available in foyer outside front door.

El Paso Mexican Restaurant – Very good. My husband had combo plate 4 (One beef enchilada, two beef tacos, one cheese & beef tostada, $8) ate every bit, and he's not a Mexican food kinda guy. I had the Burrito Deluxe (1 beef and 1 chicken burrito, $8). Yummy. Excellent chips and salsa. Also fried ice cream - not to be missed.

Hank's Smokehouse – Good. Had the Memphis BBQ ribs, didn't quite live up to the hype. I added extra Memphis BBQ sauce from the bottle on the table, wouldn't have thought it would matter much but it greatly improved the flavor. Much of the rest of the meal is unmemorable. What I do remember is that the ribs were room temperature, not served hot or even warm. Servers were all friendly, ours was friendly enough but seemed to grow tired of our questions about the menu (I sensed her impatience and apologized saying it was our first time). Would not tell anyone to avoid Hank’s, but if you don’t have a chance to go in my opinion you’re not missing much.

Barboursville Winery – A fun way to spend a half day. We drove from the resort, took about an hour. The attendants in the wine room are very knowledgeable about the wines and the winemaking process. It was a pleasure to hear them talk about the vineyards and the different yields. We paid $5 each for a souvenir glass and tasted 15 different wines. If we had turned our glasses back in we would have received $2 back. In fact we kept the glasses, and also picked up a few that other visitors had abandoned outside! Also, the initial $5 gets applied toward your wine purchase if you choose to.

Log Cabin Barbeque - Good. This was a working vacation for me, so one night while I was toiling away my husband picked up the family rib special at Log Cabin, across from the entrance to Massanutten. Half the price of Hank’s and at least as good. Maybe better. Only complaint is, again, ribs were cold.

Thunderbird Cafe – Excellent. So nice we visited twice! First time I had a pulled pork burrito, completely yummy but not hot (room temperature, I'm seeing a trend here). Excellent flavor particularly when topped with the Cholula sauce on the table. Husband had a bacon cheeseburger which looked so good that I ordered it on our second visit. Husband had patty melt on our second trip, and he's still talking about the french fries. If we stayed another few days I know we would have made at least one more trip here.

Luray Caverns – I know that my opinion is at least partially colored by the fact that starting 100 miles away we started seeing signs for Luray Caverns. The billboards are neon green and highlighter yellow and are reminiscent of signs out west promising a two-headed rattlesnake. Just got the sense that this is more of a gimmicky tourist trap than a legitimate historical site. In spite of this we decided to go because we hadn’t read any bad reviews. The caverns are spectacular in one regard, but I have to tell you that with the paper mache covered lights and power cords it seemed more like I was in a Disney attraction. People in the know have said that the other caverns in the area are more natural and less touristy.

Fareways Restaurant – Very good. The hottest meal I had all week! We had read that food at the resort was disappointing, and that Fareways is the only decent restaurant. We had the Jack Daniel’s Chicken Skewer starter, the chicken was so so (tasted boiled, not a lot of flavor), the onion laces were the best thing about that. I had the Surf and Turf: steak was cooked perfectly, shrimp were on the small side but I’m from New England, and therefore I’m a seafood snob. My husband had the pork chops and while they were very tasty, it was a really small portion. Here’s the thing, there was an early bird special chop, and a dinner chop. He asked what the difference was, was told the dinner chop was a larger portion. It was $5 more. That’s what he ordered. We both agreed the portion that he received could not have been any smaller, he likely would have gotten the same with the early bird special, and he would have gotten dessert included. Despite this, service was good, food overall was very good.

Shenandoah Natl Park – We entered at Swift Run Gap and drove to Big Meadows. Scenic views, comfortable drive. Big Meadows Lodge and cabins are lovely, I would drive back to Virginia for the opportunity to stay there. Didn’t see any black bears… maybe next time!

Room Tip: We stayed in Woodstone 60Y, an end unit. 2 br 2 ba full kitchen. No one was staying upstairs so I h...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My extended family of 9 recently spent a weekend in Massanutten. We had two adjacent units in Woodstone. The units were very large and well appointed. We particularly enjoyed the large jacuzzi tub. This was much like a pool for the grandchildren. All the activities and the water park made for a very full weekend. The little market held all our needs including a nice bottle of red. We look forward to a return trip

• Stayed October 2012
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We are owners at Mountainside and visited the third week in Sept 2012. We also had another unit at Mountainside and one at Shenandoah Villas. Our unit has been updated each year and we enjoy the spacious kitchen and dining/living areas. The patio is great to watch and interact with the deer. The upper deck is like being in a treehouse--so peaceful and quite. (Our unit borders the golf course and it's fun to watch how frustrated the golfers get when they lose balls in the woods.)
Shenandoah Villas is nice but smaller than Mountainside and the rooms are broken up. We had Unit B. Lots of deer. Unit A has a grill on the deck but is only a one bedroom--nice for a weekend get away.
We took advantage of several wonderful programs this year--Birds of Prey, Raptors--where you could handle the birds and Scuba lessons. We also enjoyed go-karts, disc-golf and mini-golf. The Club had every type of table and court recreation for the kids and the pool was perfect.
The men walked the 4.5 mile ridge--a tradition for 25+ years. No injuries!
We understand the Flow Rider at the Water Park has been completely renovated--but the water park is pricey.
We'll be back...

Room Tip: Mountainside--border golf course--easier in and out; Shenandoah Villas -- lots of steps, Unit B two...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed in Woodstone through RCI, traveled with my parents and our 9 & 11 yr old. We reserved 2- 2bdrm full kitchen units in Woodstone and upon arrival changed to one full kitchen and one partial kitchen unit (upstairs and downstairs) du-plex unit so we were able to share the same unit together. Only difference between our full and partial kitchen condo is a stove/oven on the bottom floor, the partial kitchen units are on the top floor otherwise they are exactly the same. Security key entrance to the main hall way and laundry and security key entrance to each main door. The partial kitchen units on the top floor come with an outdoor grill on the patio accessible through the master bedroom. Rooms were spacious, master bed with bath, separate 2 full beds, large kitchen, dining room and living room with a pull out sofa. Fireplace in living room, and flat screens / satellite TV in every room. Massive whirlpool bathtub. Units were very clean and appeared to have fresh paint came fully furnished and were of good quality. We had no major issues with the rooms. No smell of smoke however they have a good neighbor policy asking not to smoke inside but providing ashtrays. The rooms should be no smoking but we are very sensitive to the smell and had no issues. This resort is massive, has several areas, not all of them appeared as in good shape as Woodstone. Nice looking golf courses. Restaurants. On resort there were more activities than can possibly be done in a two week stay. A few things we did: had a family ping pong tourney, indoor waterpark ($$$$), arcade play all day for 10.00 on Tuesday & Wednesday was a good deal, walking trails, scenic chair lift to the top of the mountain was nice, Skyline drive is a scenic 4-hr drive through the mountains that is a must do, kids enjoyed a one hour horseback ride in the mountains on resort. We went into Harrisonburg Va, 10-minute drive for evening meals / shopping. Highly recommend Corgan's Publick House. Spent 5 days on resort, left early and spent two days in Washington DC. Stayed in Old Town Va. 2 nights, took the 15-min. metro train into DC each day, no problems. Had two day bigbustours open air bus pass was awesome could walk and ride to all the DC attractions, one more day in DC would have been nice but we saw everything we had on the list of must see's. Do not recommend driving to and from Washington DC for sight-seeing. Traffic in DC is not fun. I would refer Woodstone to anyone, we had a great week.

Room Tip: Call ahead and request top & bottom villas to share if traveling in a group.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I booked 2 units through my RCI timeshare. One unit was for my husband and me, and the other unit was for my daughter, son-in-law and granddaugter. The 2 units were next to each other in a private vestibule so it was like having a duplex apt. for the week. Each unit had 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The units were extremely spacious and clean. The kitchen was well stocked with dishes, utensils and appliances.
The resort offers a great many activities - indoor waterpark, indoor and outdoor pools, an extensive arcade, playground, several restaurants. Everything was well maintained. My daughter, her husband and granddaughter loved the waterpark.
My husband and I enjoyed the many historical sites within an hour's drive of the resort - Monticello, Luray Caverns, Montpelier, Charottesville, Staunton. The drives were easy b/c there was no traffic and the roads were fast.
I had a few small issues with the resort which is why I didn't give it 5 stars. Check-in time is 5:00. We arrived at 2:30, checked in, and were told to keep checking with them to see if our room was ready. At 5:15, our room was still not ready, and by 5:30, they realized there was a problem with our room and gave us another one. When I asked them for compensation for our late check-in, they offered us an additional 2 hours to check out, which we accepted. Also, there are no hair dryers in the rooms. When I asked about it, they said I could come to the desk (which you have to drive to) to get one. When I went to the desk, I was told they were out of hairdryers. So if you need a hairdryer, bring your own. One window blind and the DVR were broken when we arrived, but the maintenance men arrived extremely quickly and replaced them.
All in all, I would highly recommend this resort, expecially for families with kids and history buffs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!