“Awful” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Max Meadows
Savannah, Tennessee
“Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I were travelling back from NY to GA and needed a place to crash for the night. The room door had a gap under it enough for any roach to come in. I fell asleep at 11pm and was awakened by some idiot yapping through the wall. Fell asleep again at 1am and the drunks started hollaring on the balcony in front of our door. I called the front desk and the girl said she'd "try to find their room and ask them to be quiet" I called back and said they are hanging out hollaring outside the door and may not even have a room. She rudely told me she would deal with it and they disappeared seconds later. I think she did nothing and they just happened to take off. We learned our lesson from this place. If you travel, travel classy or stay home. Leave these holes for the trash

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stopped at three Super 8's on my recent trip, and this was the worst of the three - But read on, it wasn't horrible!
This was the kind of road trip where I am looking for a cheap place to crash for a few hours. I chose lodging based on low price and desirable location for a stop. Beyond that, my criteria are that the place be clean, secure and functional. It has beeen a long time since I tried a Super 8, and my recollection was of a cheap, marginal place to stay. This was a little better than what I remembered. The building is nice. The desk clerk was pleasant and efficient. The room was clean and secure. The microwave, fridge and coffee maker were all clean and functional. Really, the only problems were a slow-draining sink and some really well-worn furniture pieces. Outside noise was abundant, but somehow was nearly inaudible inside. Oh yeah, probably the biggest problem was that it sounded like there was a basketball team upstairs, practicing and rearraanging furniture until about 1:30 AM. When I checked out, I mentioned it, and the desk clerk said I shouldd have said something before. I pointed out that complainers are readily identified by complainees, and I really didn't need the hassle - Besides, I managed to get six hours of sleep, and rude/noisy guests may be the motel's responsibility to address, but they are an unavoidable nuisance in any hotel (The noisiest neighbor I can ever recall was in a $400/night accommodation). I'd probably stay here again if my itinerary made it a logical place to stop. BTW, I found the one review characterizing thiss place as "pricey" to be funny. I paid $44 plus tax, but anything under $70 is unusually cheap in that area. I guess I was just happy to find something less than the $120+ that's common where I live.
One observation - If you want the Ritz, don't stay at a budget lodging. They keep their prices low by economizing on what they give you.

Room Tip: If you go for the second floor, there won't be anybody banging around over your head.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed here on a Friday night, in hopes of finding a motel a bit cheaper than the ones further down I-77 near Hillsville. This one was slightly cheaper, but not much more- with taxes, the total came to around $62 for the night (single, non-smoking)

I got a ground-floor room on the far end of the motel, and there were a fair number of people staying here. I didn't have any problems with my room- I didn't have any of the smell/mold issues; the bathroom and beds were clean, with no pests. There were some slight maintenance/cosmetic issues, but nothing that affected me. The TV worked fine, and the Internet wi-fi worked the first time without any password, and was fairly fast. I used my own alarm clock, but other than that, everything worked as well as I needed it.

The price still seemed a bit steep, although it was Memorial Day weekend. This motel is in the first off-ramp past the I-77/I-81 interchange and has a McDonald's and gas station, but there are other, more significant motel/restaurant districts at the next district and further along the highway into Wytheville. It might be worth checking to see what prices are like an exit or two further west along I-81.

Overall, I'm happy with the stay, I wish it was a bit less costly, but had no other complaints. Everything worked, and I got a good night's sleep.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

The staff member at the counter was very friendly and helpful. She gave us directions to our room... and when we pulled around to the back to enter our room, we noticed a cop that appeared to be routinely circling the premises. Among entering the room, several mosquitos flew out the door as if they were saying, "Get me the hell out of this place!" We quickly knew why. The mold on the bathroom ceiling was so bad that I felt compelled to photograph it. The sink was so clogged that I could not run the water long enough to brush my teeth without turning it off to allow it to drain. When taking a shower (in flip flops! due to the mildew around the drain) the water backed up to my ankles. The floor was covered with hair and the toilet had urine on it. I slept on top of the blankets, with every inch of my body covered with my clothing. Luckily the room did not get hot. The deadbolt to the door was broken... with some of the parts missing. The jack and Jill door to the neighbors room was beyond sketchy. If we would have opened the mysterious door at the same time, we would have been face to face with a stranger. Needless to say, I snapped another picture and wedged a chair with heavy suitcases on top in front of the door. I slept with a light on... just in case! On the way home, we booked ahead at the Country Inn in Wytheville, where I am laying in a comfortable, safe, and very clean room writing this review. It was only $30 more... and more worth it than I could ever explain.

• Stayed March 2012
niagara falls, canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

There was mold in the bathroom, very run down and tattered.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here September 2nd with my husband. I will just say...never again! Bunch of trashy drunks hung out right outside our room all night, rooms were not clean at all, and we paid 100 bucks for the nastiest room I have ever stayed in my whole life!! Next time we r staying in WYTHVILLE!!! DO NOT STAY AT THIS ROACH MOTEL!

• Stayed September 2011
welland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed here with our 3 children. We didn't want something too expensive as we were just driving through from Florida to Canada and needed somewhere to stop overnight. My husband had planned it out before we left to stay at this hotel. The outside looks pleasant enough, but the room was not to satisfaction. When we walked into the room which was entered from directly outside, the room was quite warm, so when we put the air conditioner on, the room immediately started to smell of urine, not to mention the air conditioner was so noisy we couldn't speak to each other without yelling. The rugs were absolutely disgusting! My 3 children's feet were as black as the asphalt outside. We had to have them wear their shoes when ever getting off the bed. We had a baby with us and required a crib. Couldn't believe that the wanted to charge us an additional $15 to have the crib in our room. I think a crib should be something that is complimentary....I could see having to pay extra for a cot, but a crib, come on! Needless to say, did not get a whole lot of sleep with a baby between my husband and I, a smelly and noisy room. The hotel staff were friendly enough. The so-called continental breakfast was a joke. Not enough there to feed a mouse, so we left and went to McDonald's across the highway. Would not stay here again or recommend to anyone, unless they're a pig!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Super 8 Chiswell/Max Meadows? Share your experiences!