“So glad we stayed!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
paminpoq
“So glad we stayed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stopped for dinner on a Friday night. We almost left as there were several empty tables and an unorganized wait. The tables were quickly cleaned and seated. The service was very fast and friendly. We ordered the clam strips and the broiled crab cakes and both were excellent. We were full but ordered the coconut cake to go and it was awesome. Thank you so much. We well be back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Richmond, Virginia
“Great find, with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We at Richardson’s Café in Mathews on Saturday, April 5, 2014. We arrived about noon and had to wait about ten minutes for a table that could seat our party of five. We were seated in the only corner booth, very close to the front door. This restaurant is in an old Rexal Drugstore and still has some of the old feel and charm in its décor.

I had the fried oysters, my wife got the crab cake sandwich, my daughter had the clam strips, my father-in-law had a buffalo burger, and my mother-in-law got the buffalo club sandwich. My In-laws meals were specials offered that day. All arrived together and very hot about fifteen minutes after we ordered.

My oysters were excellent – very fresh tasting with a light breading. The Aioli that came with the oysters and crab cake was also excellent – it would make used shoe leather taste good. My wife and daughter loved their meals. The crab cake had next to no filler and was very tasty. My daughter’s clam strips were hand breaded and very tender – not a chewy one in the sizable portion she received. My in-laws loved their meals, but could not finish them as the portions were huge!

Service was very good. My only complaint is I had ordered a root beer as my drink, and our waiter refilled it with sweet tea – twice! However, the tea was very, very good so I just drank it. We all had such a great experience that we can’t wait to go back!! When we left around 2PM, there was a line out the door.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mathews, Virginia, United States
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

The service is great and the food even better. Chef Todd is back and his cooking is awesome. Love the old time feel of the place and prices are great.

Visited February 2014
Hudgins
“Unique atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Richardson's used to be a drug store. After many years sitting empty, it was opened by 3 different owners that didn't make it. Now the current owner has really made a go of it. The food is good, but the atmosphere is special. It still has a lunch counter and serves really good ice cream. Come on, you'll love it!

Visited January 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“A pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

It looks like an old timey soda shop but the food was delicious and the service was great! I am gluten-free due to celiac disease and the waitress (Amy I think) didn't give an attitude (or roll her eyes) and was helpful with my selection of one of the specias- the blackened prime rib salad which was fresh, plentiful and tasty. My husband had the lobster bisque and the fried flounder special. The bisque smelled heavenly and was smooth and creamy with hunks of lobster. The flounder was served piping hot- flaky and plentiful for a hungry appetite. The locals and "tourists" were treated equally well. We look forward to visiting again and getting dessert next time!

• Visited October 2013