My companion and I were going to celebrate his birthday by having a fabulous meal at the Town House restaurant in nearby Chilhowie and needed a hotel that was no more than 10-15 minutes drive from the restaurant. General Francis Marion hotel was perfect in terms of location (there is a lovely lake and a trail at the Hungry Mother State Park barely 10 minutes drive away) and we were wonderfully surprised at what a neat hotel it was! The renovations have render the hotel to its tasteful appearance. We did get the cheapest room (a double) since we were on a tight budget and could only splurge on the Town House restaurant meal, but our room though a bit small was utterly charming and the bathroom was spacious, bright and clean - always a plus. Oh yes, and the continental breakfast is unlike the meager food that is served at local motels; instead there were two polite and attentive restaurant staff who serve you freshly made waffles and eggs in addition to freshly brewed coffee/tea and toast/bagels. Overall, a lovely experience for a very reasonable price! We plan to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic General Francis Marion Hotel was originally built in 1927 and was restored to its original elegance. The hotel's 36 guest rooms are beautifully appointed in period furniture with emphasis on comfort and luxury. The Black Rooster, the hotel's restaurant offers superb dining in a Roaring '20s atmosphere. Located just up the street from the famous Lincoln Theatre, the hotel is listed in both the National and the Virginia Historic Registers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity and Otel so you can book your General Francis Marion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- General Francis Hotel Marion
- General Francis Marion Hotel Virginia