“A Perfect Wedding” 5 of 5 stars

Bridgewater, NJ
“A Perfect Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We chose to get married at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, in
Lynchburg, Virginia and were we ever pleased!

Since we were inviting only our parents and a few friends the wedding
package “Wedding for a Few” was perfect for us, both for our budget and
for our numbers. We arranged the entire event over the phone and
through email, with stunning results. We added additional room nights
for our guests, so Kathy & Mike upgraded us to a suite in the carriage
house (so we could have some privacy.)

Everything we wanted was included: a gorgeous bouquet and boutonniere,
a small tiered wedding cake, the celebrant was recommended, sparkling
wine for our toast, and a wonderful, personalized ceremony in the
parlor. Mike even surprised us with a CD of pictures taken throughout
the afternoon. A wedding day luncheon was requested and served in the
dining room: yummy salad, bread and shrimp scampi with penne—I didn’t
want spaghetti or red sauce so as not to stain my dress!

The perfect way to share our special day with those we love, save some
money and start our future off on the right foot. We’ll even be back to
celebrate our anniversary as Kathy & Mike offer rooms at a special rate
if you get married at the Carriage House Inn.

Room Tip: The house was more than a B and B. Mike and Kathy made it feel like home on my special day. All...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

When staying at the Carriage House Inn, I had difficulty connecting to the internet so I asked Mike for assistance. He too couldn't get my computer to work so he said we needed to go to Plan B. He let me use his office while he contacted a local network company. They came right out and added some equipment and by the afternoon I had great internet access. in business you are judged by what steps you take when you encounter a problem, He went above and beyond my expectations in resolving the issues. Once I had internet access I was quite happy.

Beyond that, the housse is one of the nicest places we have ever stayed, the food was beyond good and the hosts were helpful in suggesting things to do in town, places to eat, and attractions to visit. If we ever get back to Lynchburg, we wouldn't consider staying anyplace else.

I would give this a score of 11 out of 10!

Room Tip: My wife came with me on this trip. There is a massage treatment room on the property and she had th...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I was shocked, after staying here, to read the five-star reviews. Either the reviews are not all getting through, or somehow we went on a *Very* bad weekend. I need to preface this by saying that, since I was a child, I have loved B&B’s, and it is something of a hobby of mine to travel to B&B’s to try them. Even though they are typically more expensive than their hotel counterparts, I generally consider them worth the price.

In this instance, I would rather have stayed at a $40.00 hotel because the value for the price is simply not there. My husband and I travelled there on a livingsocial deal. We spent a good amount of time talking to Mike and Kathy about their (truly very beautiful and amazingly well restored) home. They spent 5 years travelling to the home on the weekends to properly restore. It really truly is a work of art, and there is simply nothing else to say there. Also excellent-The Lovingston Winery was *amazing*. Their tasting bar is immediately by their production area, and Ed, the owner is happy to discuss all aspects of his, all-excellent, wines. I was very impressed by a delightful Pinotage (South-African bred grape they grafted into their vineyard), and pleased that every single wine we had was delicious in its own way. Great place. Great owner. Felt very welcome. Would absolutely go back.

However, as part of the discussion, it is clear their passion is in the home, not in the guests. We felt unwelcome and uncomfortable the entire time, that the hosts were more interested in the cheque they were written than the comfort of their guests.

Specific things that bothered me:
1.) It was clear from the start that the check-in time was very inflexible, and equally clear that breakfast was inflexible (9am). This is not at all standard with Bed and Breakfasts that I have been to. I’m most certainly not saying that the host needs to do everything for the customer or bend too far, but there was absolutely no consideration for whether 9am was convenient for us (or 4pm). I felt they would have been very insulted had I told them 9am is very late for me (no. I do not suggest 5am either). Also, despite asking them to help me with a restaurant choice and reservation two to three weeks in advance, they just completely ignored my request. In the past, going to comparable B&B’s, the hosts have been very happy to make recommendations to me, and have also called the restaurants to make reservations. At a hotel of comparable price, a concierge would happily fulfill this request as well.

2.) The breakfast itself was labeled as ‘legendary’. I absolutely do not understand why. Four courses should not include juice. Four courses to them were: 1.) juice 2.) about ¼ cup of sweetened yogurt 3.) a plate of canned pineapples 4.) a croissant with apples. Everything was overly sweet, no protein (eggs/bacon/etc), and we actually opted out of breakfast the next morning (because of the food and because we felt uncomfortable around the hosts). At breakfast, we were talking about a friend of ours who cooks very opulent breakfasts (just a discussion about culinary experiences, not a criticism in any way; we were trying to create conversation with the other guests); Kathy seemed very offended, defensive, and butted into the conversation as though we were being rude. Perhaps we were, but it certainly wasn’t intentional.

3.) The bath was advertised as working, and I chose the room we did based on the bath. However, Mike made it clear we were not supposed to use the bath. Why in the world would I pay $150.00 a night for no bath? There was additionally NO SHAMPOO OR CONDITIONER! Really. You can get that for free in a $40.00 a night hotel room! Honestly I wouldn’t care if it were inexpensive something. But really, there should have been something.

4.) Tipping. Bed and Breakfasts typically do *not* accept tips if offered and often have no-tipping policies. If you know the rooms are cleaned by someone other than the owner, you can leave a tip for the cleaner, but never for the owners. The hosts left a note on the bed each day, and there were 2-3 places in each note requesting tips for ‘extraordinary service’ as well as ‘amazing value’ that was being provided to us. Additionally, they left tip envelopes and a stand with a written note requesting tips on the full value of the living social deal. They also said that they would send out a link for “your outstanding review on tripadvisor”, assuming that this would be the level you would rate the place as. It came across to me as extraordinarily pushy, rude, demanding, begging, cajoling, and pressuring that somehow we owe them more because they went in on a living social deal. It isn’t that I don’t understand the recession is difficult, but clearly we were very turned off. This place was expensive. At a B&B, all services are almost always included.

In the end, we paid for a very beautiful, fancy room. And it most certainly was beautiful. Just simply stunning and gorgeous. I am amazed at their dedication and skill in this labor of love-truly fantastic. My recommendation would be to call for a house tour were you interested but to stay somewhere else.

The area is fantastic, lots to do, great cheap restaurants, etc.

Room Tip: Double-check that the bathtub works. All of the rooms are stunning.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
LynchburgVirginian, Owner at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
I have waited four weeks to respond to this review. My first comment is that customer service has and will always be a primary focus at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast. Having said that, I acknowledge that a person’s perception is their reality so I don’t know what I can say to change their perception of their stay so rather than dealing with their perceptions I wanted to clarify the facts.

Our check-in times are between 4:00 and 6:00pm. This was told to them when they made their reservation and in our confirmation email to them sent January 3, 2012 at 10:10am. The email went on to say that should they get stuck in traffic let us know. We always try to accommodate our guest’s schedule we just need to know their approximate arrival time if it isn’t between 4:00 – 6:00 pm so that we make sure we are here to greet them.

Breakfast on the weekends is typically at 9:00am as many of our guests like to start their weekend on a leisurely note. These guests came to Lynchburg to visit Lovingston Winery (we arranged an 11:00 am tour/tasting since the winery was normally closed on weekends in January). When we told them breakfast was at 9:00 they did not ask if it could have been earlier or later. We try to accommodate people’s schedule if we are aware of their desires. On some occasions we have had three different seatings for breakfast because of our guest’s schedules but in those instances they communicated with us and we were able to accommodate their desires.

With respect to dinner reservations, we always offer to make reservations when the reservation is made. In the email confirmation we sent them on January 3, we included a link to several downtown restaurants and again reminded them that we would be happy to make a reservation. To the best of my knowledge that request was never made, even though we made the offer twice, once verbally and once in writing. When they arrived we gave them a list of all of our local restaurants along with our recommendations. They went to their room to review the information and left for dinner without requesting our help in making a reservation.

Breakfast is probably one of the things our guests rave about the most. The morning of January 20 we had a fresh squeezed juice as the starter. That was followed with some Greek yogurt with a little bit of honey whipped into the yogurt and sprinkled with some berries. The fruit course was fresh pineapple (not canned as they mentioned in their review) with pomegranates sprinkled on top with a home-made raspberry sauce drizzled on top. The entrée was a croissant French toast stuffed with apples and dusted with confectioners’ sugar with a little caramel sauce. The croissant is sliced in half and is dredged through custard consisting of cream, eggs, vanilla, orange zest, some orange juice, a little cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg. It is then grilled until golden brown. Between the two halves of the croissant are granny smith apples that have been thinly sliced and lightly cooked (so that they remain crisp) in pure maple syrup that has been infused with cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg. The spiced maple syrup is served on the side. Their complaint about the lack of protein was valid for this breakfast. Having said that, we ask when a reservation is made if there any dietary restrictions, allergies, likes/dislikes or preferences. There were none. Additionally when the guests filled out their reservation form at check-in they also responded “none” to that question. Likewise in our email confirmation we confirmed there were no dietary restrictions. We have had guests ask for meals that were vegan, gluten-free, low-fat, no carbs, protein only and no soy. We are happy to accommodate a guest’s preference if we know about it. Ironically, after reading the review I called the other guest that ate with these guests to inquiry about the breakfasts and the two words that they said were “fabulous” and “great.” Again, if their perception of the breakfast was unacceptable I apologize but other guests, including the ones that were at the breakfast table that morning had a different view of the breakfast. Finally we didn’t feel offended by any comment they made about a friends culinary abilities and any comment made by us was conversational.

The bathroom was working as it is advertised on our website. Their comments in the review leads one to believe that guests can’t bathe while staying with us. This doesn’t deserve a response, but in the interest of clarifying the facts I will respond. The tub is the original antique claw foot tub from the 1870’s. A shower ring has been installed. Current building codes did not allow the tub to be hooked up the way it was when the house was built so the over-flow on the tub is much lower than it is in our other baths. As a result, we advertise this as a shower since it doesn’t hold much water as a bath tub. We point that out when people check-in so that if taking a bath (vs. taking a shower) is important we can move them to a different room if one is available (there were other rooms available that weekend.) I don’t know how I could be more specific in my advertising. It says, “claw-foot tub (converted to a shower only.)” That description would lead me to believe that if I chose this room I would be using a claw foot tub but I would be taking a shower. Again, if their perception is this is false advertising or a non-working bath I apologize that they were mislead. If they wanted to switch rooms to take a bath rather than taking a shower one was available. When demonstrating the room and bath we open the medicine cabinet over the bathroom sink. In the medicine cabinet, in addition to shampoo, there are makeup removers, cotton swabs and puffs, a sewing kit, aspirin, lotion, a hair dryer. Robes and slippers are in the closet for our guests to use in the bathroom. Since they used the hair dryer I’m not sure why they didn’t see the other bath amenities.

Finally, if you have ever stayed here you know that each night when we do turn down, we leave a note on the bed. It has a thought of the day along with events in history that happened on that day and the next morning’s menu. We do not ask for tips on this flyer although we do mention we will send them links so they can leave us an outstanding review.

In closing, I would like to thank these guests for the kind things they had to say about the house and area. I agree with them the area is fantastic and there are numerous things to do. I’m sorry we fell short of their expectations. We have been in business for just over 4 years and having a “bad” review is probably not the worst thing that could happen but it is distressing that the review doesn’t accurately reflect the facts. My biggest regret is not knowing they were having such a bad time while they were here so we could have addressed their concerns. We do solicit comments from our guests so that if there is a problem we can correct it. I was dismayed to read their review but happy that Tripadvisor gives us the opportunity to comment on the review. As I stated in the beginning customer service has and will always be a cornerstone of the way we do business. It is regrettable that these guests did not have the same experience that our other guests enjoy.
New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Visited Lynchburg Virginia in late October on our way to Ashville, NC. Without realizing it, we had stumbled on the perfect hiking and history destination, made even more special by The Carriage House Inn. Having worked for Travel and Leisure Magazine in the past, I have been fortunate enough to experience some of the world's great accomodations and the Carriage House did not disappoint. A boarding house in a prior life, Kathy and Mike have restored the home to what would seem to be it's original grandeur with every detail bringing you back to a specific time in history. Our room was large and inviting with a clawfoot tub that was the perfect antidote to a long day of hiking. The dual control bed -- yes, I could adjust the firmness to my taste while my husband adjusted it to his -- was just another one of the wonderful touches that the Inn delivered. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the delicious breakfast that was served each morning. Sweet potato pancakes with walnuts and coconut one morning and pumpkin waffles that I am still thinking about the next. It was fall on a plate and then some. The lesson learned from this trip is if you are going to a historical destination and you have the opportunity to enrich the journey through the authenticity of your lodging, do it. In this case it was further enriched by the comfort, cleanliness, hospitality and charm of The Carriage House and its owners, Mike and Kathy.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Well worth the stay. Cathy and Mike are wonderful owners who have lovingly restored a real gem of a home. The tour Mike gave us, came complete with the details of painstaking renovation of the stately home. It is beautiful and they are gracious hosts. Cathy served us a delicious breakfast and we were fortunate to have them to ourselves to chat. If we are ever in that neck of the woods again, we will look them up. You seriously can't go wrong with the Carriage House Inn!
Judy and Frank
Virginia

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

As B&Bs go, this one is 5-star from check in to check out. The beautiful 1800's mansion was refurbished just a few years ago, while the separate stable was converted (flawlessly) into two additional rooms. Owners Mike and Kathy were welcoming as could be, and made sure our stay was enjoyable as could be. They even went to the lengths of leaving helpful info and the following day's breakfast menu on our bed each evening. The rooms are not only clean and welcoming, but remain in period decor, thankfully with working AC and functional bathrooms :)

Breakfast was beyond fabulous- Kathy prepared juices, coffee, yogurt, fruit creations, and a scrumptious French toast croissant with warm green apple slices.

To say this place was "quaint and nice" would be doing The Carriage House a great disservice; rather, it is a classy and serene locale, with plenty to do within a 20-minute drive! I would without a doubt recommend this place to anyone looking for a romantic getaway with plenty to do aside from enjoying the country life.

To do locally: wineries, rafting, tubing, outdoor year-round skiing, museums, visit Jefferson's other home, bike, hike, dine out, etc.

Came with a package deal from http://LivingSocial.com - and am thrilled I picked this "escape package" - worth every penny.

Room Tip: Loved the Hayloft Suite in the separate stable house.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed with Mike and Kathy overnight over Memorial Day weekend :) The trip we made to Lynchburg was to try out the nearby Snowflex Center, but in the end turned out to be more of a "making friends with the B&B folks". We are so glad to have stayed the night after finding a promotion thru the Lynchburg visitor's center. We learned so much about the house and all it's historical details, as well the all the hardwork the couple (who are orginally from northern va) put into the house. They are abosolutely in love with what they do, and their work shows it off. The carriage house is separate and newer feeling(good for larger parties), while the main house is like stepping back in time. It was a joy!

Room Tip: Each room is very different, get a tour/check web
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!