“Great Find!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Great Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Always a pleasure to stay at the Craddock Tery. Very attentive, personable and professional front desk. Charming setting overlooking the James River in old town Lynchburg. Away from chain shopping center strips and heavy traffic but walking distance to boutiques and bistros as well as nature trail. Rooms are clean, cozy and comfortable with rustic brick walls and designer commodities. Furniture made by local carpentry factory. Complementary fresh breakfast left at your door every morning. Pricing can be on the higher side but look for specials. Well deserving and exclusive.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Fantastic location, excellent staff, wonderful bed, beautiful room, and two restaurants attached to this perfect boutique hotel. The building and design most interesting. Loved the beds comfort so much, I purchased them through the hotel. The staff is incredibly warm, most welcoming and always accommodating. I travel to Lynchburg frequently for business and always stay here. They never disappoint!
Go for a weekend, park the car, relax, enjoy the hotel, visit with Buster the dog and walk around one of the most beautiful small cities of the south. The Downtown area is full of interesting architecture, friendly people and lovely little shops and you won't need your car to enjoy.

Room Tip: Every room I've stayed in has been wonderful,
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is the second time I stayed at the Craddock Terry hotel. Extraordinarily friendly staff with the motto happiness is free. Took the time to help me understand the area and where to go for exercise and dining. Fun to talk to at all hours of the night.

Note the different elevators did take a couple of tries to figure out but goes with the charm of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Rich in heritage and design this boutique hotel is first class. Everything is crisp and clean with upscale finishes including the walk in tile shower, granite counter tops and fine linens. The staff was very nice and helpful, at all levels. We didn't love the breakfast in the shoe box delivered to our room but it was quality and tastee. I would have preferred a room for breakfast that we could have went down to. Other than that, we loved every minute of our stay! I would stay again:)

• Stayed October 2013
Franklin County, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

As the majority of those posting have said, this hotel is absolutely beautiful and charming with its appeal and restoration of this old shoe factory. We make frequent trips to Lynchburg and have always wanted to stay at the Craddock-Terry, but felt it was just a bit out of our price range. We have always (with the exception of one night) stayed at the Lynchburg Hilton Gardens near Liberty University. We're repeat customers there since they have always provided the best service, atmosphere and meals for the price. This particular evening, Hilton Gardens was sold out and no rooms available. When my husband called the Craddock-Terry, they offered a two-Queen bed room for $129 with continental breakfast. We decided to go ahead and give it a try. When we arrived to check in at the main desk, my husband told the attendant that this was our first stay at the Craddock-Terry and that the only reason we were there was that our usual overnight venue was booked. He explained that we'd wanted to try the hotel but felt it was a bit 'pricey'. Understandably, for a 'boutique' hotel, however, we'd love to be repeat customers. The desk attendant then offered the room for $119. Upon entering the lobby, (as others have said), the 'shoe' theme is nice to see as an homage to the hotels former life. Very nice atmosphere with professional staff. From there, the hallways are nice, quiet and well lit in an artistic fashion. Each doors has a 'shoe' on it with the room number underneath. Our room (410) was at the very end of the 4th floor hall. Upon entering the room, we were overwhelmed with it's warmth and classic style. The attention to detail was very nice. The beds were quite comfortable, the work station (desk) was nice. The tall ceilings with bare wood gave the feel of the old mill while retaining the professional atmosphere of the hotel. Now, the downside to our stay. One of the things that I love before heading out in the morning is taking a nice shower. Unfortunately, the large, garden tub/shower was more than slow to drain. My husband (who showers at most in 15 minutes) had the same experience with ankle-deep water that took more than 30 minutes to drain before I showered. Also, the design of the garden tub/shower (while aesthetically pleasing to the eye) proved more than impractical for use. The entire floor flooded with water run off from the poor design of the tub. My husband had to use most of the towels and the bath mat that we were provided to keep the water from flooding beyond the bath area. This surprised us as the hotel has been open for a few years and should have remedied these types of obvious problems before continuing to allow their patrons to use them. I ended up slipping upon stepping out of the tub and still sport the bruise on my leg from where I hit the faucet. My husband and I spent a good bit of our time making sure the towels made a dam-like block to keep the water retained while soaking it up. Not how we wanted to spend our time in the hotel. Also, my first impression of the bathroom was that the amenities (bottled lotion/shampoo/soap/conditioner) were a gift to the guests. On the contrary...they were bottles attached to the bathroom wall that had been refilled. I chose not to use bottled soap that other patrons had used as I felt that was not the most sanitary way for offering guests these items. Further, the bottled hand lotion that was at the sink was available for 'guest use' only. Again, if others were using this hand lotion, it was more like a tester bottle on the cosmetics counter at a department store. The 'breakfast' concept, while cute (placement of card in shoebox at door overnight with continental breakfast placed inside for you to have in the morning) is really impractical. For the price of the room and the unremarkable meal, I wasn't sure why we only had one meal with the option to pay $6 for an additional breakfast. Prior to noon checkout, my husband went downstairs to ask if running a few minutes behind would be a problem. We were told it would not be. However, promptly at noon, there was a knock on the door from someone working with the hotel asking if we were still in the room (yes!) as they were there to put something in the room for the incoming guests that would be arriving. Within a few moments of that, our room phone rang with housekeeping asking if we were still in the room (yes!). The 'rush' to have the room vacated made it a bit awkward when my husband was told it was not a problem to run a few minutes beyond checkout. We were out of the room before 12:30pm. Before our departure, my husband went back to the front desk to address the problem with the shower. He told the desk attendant how messy and dangerous it was, noting that I'd slipped and even bopped my leg pretty good. The attendant said he was 'sorry' and that it was indeed a known issue with the bathrooms in the hotel. However, it was being remedied with only about 6 rooms left to repair of the 44 rooms in the hotel. Knowing that the hotel was not sold out that night that we checked in, my husband and I wondered why on earth we were given a room with a known defect on our very first stay at this hotel? Needless to say, the few 'quirks' and issues that arose (while not earth shattering) made us reconsider coming back or recommending the Craddock-Terry to others. To add, while we were loading our vehicle to leave, there was a 'couple' who were loitering around the lobby, the desk and right at the main entrance door. My husband said that they (the couple) were speaking with the desk attendant and he (my husband) assumed they were guests as they were spending a fair amount of time across the counter discussing, what my husband assumed, was business. On the contrary, the couple, were were smoking heavily and pacing around a lot, were there simply socializing and not guests waiting for a room. This proved to be the case as the well dressed desk attendant exited the hotel and began walking off the premises with them. They were all smoking so I assumed he was taking a 'smoking' break with them. They walked to an (empty) parking lot across the street (where apparently the couple had parked) and were at a car together. All smoking and somewhat staying out of view (or so they thought). For what it's worth, a boutique hotel whose employees are meeting up with family/friends for a smoke in public should be aware that others can and will see this. Honestly, it did not bode well for the hotel. Overall, a wonderful concept for restoring a piece of history, lots of potential with some work to be done to make it worth what they charge. I'd give it a 3 out of 5 stars. There is room for improvement.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights while visiting our daughter at college. Loved the rooms, the finishes, all the historical values and customer service from all the employees. Did not exactly love the "breakfast in a shoebox". That could be better as I do miss even the basic continental breakfast at much cheaper hotels. Free Internet was great as well. Descent value but pushing it a bit even for a boutique hotel.

Stayed November 2013
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for one night. Room was comfortable. The decor was very unique. The hotel is a converted shoe factory and the shoe theme in maintained all over!! The staff were friendly. A good place for a quick stop in Lynchburg.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Craddock Terry Hotel? Share your experiences!