“Absolutely the worst dining experience we've had in Lynchburg” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Bistro
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Absolutely the worst dining experience we've had in Lynchburg”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was, hands down, the worst meal we've ever had in Lynchburg. The food was terrible (one of our fellow diners spent the night on the floor of her bathroom between bouts of sickness), the service was horrible, the music was so loud we couldn't converse, and parking was impossible. Stay as far away from this one as you can.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Eastern Shore, Maryland
“Pleasant Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We finally were able to get a reservation on the Wed before T'giving as Jimmy's was booked on previous trips to L'burg. We were seated comfortably in the dining area next to the bar area. The friendly and efficient service was complemented by some friendly visits from the owner to check on how we were doing and what we had ordered, etc. He also played the piano. The music and his sing along really adds to the bistro atmosphere.

My wife had a filet that was cooked to her order and was very good. I had Shrimp and Grits and it was very good. Daughter had Lamb Tenderloin that was excellent. We started with martinis that were served with flakes of ice still floating in the glass. Nice touch there. For dessert we split an order of fried oreos... which should be tried once and forgotten.

While there was a group of ten seated beside us... the evening was best described as... lovely.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Horrific Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

It's hard to know where to begin about our dining experience this evening. First, we noticed that my husbands water glass had lipstick all over the rim after he drank from it. The waitress replaced it, but was very nonchalant about it. The food my husband ordered was different than what was brought out because the kitchen was out of one of the main ingredients which was not ever mentioned to us when ordering or when the food was brought out. My food was luke warm but I ate it because I was so hungry. I had to ask for a second sprite and I drank about a third of it before realizing that the INSIDE of the glass was filthy (after my husbands dirty glass I should have looked at mine before drinking from it, but seriously????).
The owner of the restaurant swore loudly while we were eating when he couldn't find a piece of music he was looking for. There were loud unattended children who belonged to one of the employees.
The worst part of this dinner was when I had to ask my husband to make an emergency bathroom stop on the way home because of what I had eaten.
After my description above I bet you think the restaurant was so busy that these things were overlooked. Not so, we were the ONLY patrons in the restaurant. The only other table that was occupied had the unattended children at it.
A gentleman who was perhaps the manager did came over to speak with us and removed all charges from our bill. This was supposed to be a romantic dinner and it was completely ruined by food that made me sick, my husband not getting to eat at all, dirty glasses, swearing owner, loud children and poor service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Richmond, Virginia
“I will never dine at this restaurant!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

....and I haven't even tasted one item from their menu! Visited Lynchburg for the first time and wanted to make reservations at Jimmy's. Not possible on Open Table and only an answering machine at the phone number....so followed the instructions to NOT leave a reservation date and time, simply a phone number. No return call. Tried calling the restuarant numerous times.....nothing but the answering machine or no answer. Finally got through to a live person the night of the reservation......"Oh, yes" " I see you called" "No, we cannot accommodate you" NOT EVEN AN APOLOGY!!!!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Provincetown, Massachusetts, United States
“Good Food, Good Jazz, Good Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Have to give it five stars. The food was delicious, the ambiance is first-rate, the service was prompt, personal and helpful and Jimmy himself greets his guests and plays and sings terrific traditional jazz and American standards. Haven't had such an all-around "dining as entertainment" experience in a long time. It was like a supper club in New York without the pretense and the overdressed waiters.

A clever appetizer was zucchini sticks wrapped in prosciutto served over balsamic and honey with a few greens and toasted onions. I also had a spinach salad with cranberries and pecans dressed with a blood orange vinaigrette. Piquant and refreshing. My entree was chicken stuffed with tomatoes, basil and prosciutto with a remoulade sauce, accompanied by perfectly prepared rice and haricots verts.

The tables have white linen cloths and upholstered chairs, the dining room walls are decorated with faces of iconic comedians and entertainers. You can make a cocktail game out of naming the famous faces. And while you are eating his delicious food, Jimmy himself sings Misty, They Can't Take That Away From Me, Popsicle Toes and other great standards in a jazzy style perfectly suited to the room. While I was there, a couple at another table got up and danced.

Try it. You'll like it.