“3rd time lucky” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Lynchburg
Powhatan, Virginia
“3rd time lucky”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2005

Stayed overnight here back in August. Things went well then, so when I needed to stay overnight in Lynchburg again, I booked same type room. We got there about 6pm and needed to check in quickly, freshen up and get to a party up in Amherst. We were given our cards and sent to our room -- 1st Floor King non-smoking. Key didn't work. Went back to the front desk. He had given us the wrong room. Sent us to another room across the hall from the first one -- key worked this time but someone's luggage was sitting open on the rack (good thing for that guest that my husband and I are honest souls). Had to go back to the front desk. By then my folks had arrived and were checking in -- to their non smoking King room. I was then informed that all their King Non-smoking rooms were occupied and all that were left were non-smoking double beds. Well, my parents made the switch taking the double beds and giving us the king room. These rooms were on the 2nd floor. The odor in the hallway there nearly knocked me over! Immediate headache, but by now, we are running late for the party. Got into our room, key worked this time, no one else there . . . but the toilet will not quit running. My husband lifts the tank lid to see what's going on while I try to call the front desk. Imagine, 2 phones in the room and neither can contact the front desk -- only outside lines. So we had to go back downstairs to the front desk to complain about the toilet. I will commend the guy at the front desk about cutting his phone call (which was someone requesting a reservation) short to take care of our problem. He was able to adjust the toilet so that it would flush and with some manipulation would not run continuously. By this time, we managed to get our luggage in the room, and contact the folks in Amherst that we were running very late for the party. The next day, the musty old smokey smell in the hall had set off my allergies and asthma taking awhile to clear my sinuses and the headache. I don't think I'll stay here again even this time thought of walking across the parking lot to the Hampton Inn next door. Its a shame, because we travel through this area frequently.

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2003

We have stayed here many times since are daughter is attending college at SweetBriar. the rooms are clean and contain everything that is needed. The people are always pleasent. The breakfast is perfect for traveling. We go back and have never been disappointed. This is not what I consider a high end hotel, but it is great for what you pay. If you have stayed at another H I Express you will find that this is the same as other places.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lynchburg? Share your experiences!