“Delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Robin Alexander is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 279 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington
Transit: Located close by and throughout downtown Lynchburg.
Richmond, Virginia
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I was there during restaurant week. The waitress was great and the food was delicious! It was a very vibrant place and you could tell it is very popular.

Visited July 2014

Brooklyn, NY
“Stunningly good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

As New Yorkers, we're spoiled by what are, arguably, some of the best restaurants in the country. We're hardly aficionados of gourmet, though, and simply seek out good food that doesn't make us ill. Simple, right?

Spending a week nearby, and lacking options, we came into Lynchburg. Spotted this place, and almost passed it up, but turned around and parked. Best decision we ever made! Our waitress was VERY nice, and went down a list of her menu favorites. Not the usual quickie apathetic rundown of the daily specials, either, she knew what she was talking about. The chicken parmesan was incredible, and a huge portion!

We had to come back a second time during our trip, and I had a regular ol' cheeseburger, which was also one of the better ones I've had. We also made the rare decision to order dessert, in our case the Hill City Mocha Mud. Another brilliant concoction!!

This place renewed my interest in winning the lottery, as it would impel me to purchase a private jet so I could commute to Lynchburg at lunchtime. We can't wait to come back!!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Port Orange, Florida
“Nice Dinner with Friends in Lynchburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Had a good meal here at Robin Alexander, in Lynchburg, VA. A comfortable atmosphere to visit with friends, and a very friendly staff that didn't mind taking photos to post on FB! Good food, good selection of wine and local beers.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lynchburg, Virginia
“One too many not good experiences”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I went to Robin Alexander’s during the 2014 Restaurant Week and we see no reason to go back anytime soon. We ordered 4 things each – cocktail, appetizer, entrée and dessert – so they had 8 opportunities to wow us. Unfortunately, only one item even came close.

My cocktail was their riff on a bloody Mary martini and it was passable. My husband ordered the classic martini and was so disappointed with the drink that the waitress offered to take it back and bring him something else. When he noted that his glass was only half full, the waitress tried to justify it by saying that since his drink was all liquor it was smaller than mine. She may (MAY) have had a point (and if so, why not just use a smaller glass), if the drink was not so watered down that it barely tasted like a martini. It reminded me of what’s left in a cocktail shaker after the martinis have been poured and the ice has started to melt. Yes, he sent it back.

On to the appetizers. We chose RA only because the posted menu offered a Thai shrimp cocktail. When the waitress told us that they were out of the shrimp cocktail, we should have paid for our drinks and left, but we persisted. My husband ordered the chicken noodle soup and I ordered the spinach dip, which was described on the menu as “baby spinach, artichokes and sundried tomatoes in a garlic cheese sauce served with tortilla chips and Pico de Gallo.” It wasn’t. What it was was that over-processed, slightly slimy queso dip stuff that you get on bad nachos. There were no sundried tomatoes or garlic and the so-called pico sauce was nothing but a few minced tomatoes on the top. With a small nod to the menu description, the kitchen did throw in a couple of baby spinach leaves and a very small chunk of artichoke. It was, in a word, awful.

Next came the entrees. I had the glazed cedar-planked salmon and sautéed green beans, and my husband chose the surf and turf. My salmon was the one highpoint of the meal. It was well cooked (by that I mean not overcooked) and the creole maple glaze was a nice compliment to the fish and not too sweet. My green beans were unseasoned and not sautéed, but steamed, or, in other words, bland and dull. My husband’s surf and turf had a few chunks of shrimp in a sauce over top of a sirloin steak. Unfortunately, the steak, although large, was tough and over cooked at medium instead of the rare that had been ordered. My husband would have preferred a smaller, but good, steak as opposed to the large piece of shoe leather he received.

Finally it was time for the desserts. I ordered the key lime pie (the one and only option on the 3 for $15 menu from which I was ordering), and my husband got the strawberry short cake. My pie could have been the poster child for mediocre key lime pie – heavy, too sweet with a thick, dry and tough crust. The strawberry short cake wasn’t bad, but not at all as described on the menu and looked like it had been plated by a 5 year old.

This may have been my fifth time at RA. The first time I went I had a very good salad and a really excellent steak, and I guess I keep remembering that one meal as opposed to all the other sub-standard meals I’ve had there. However, I’m betting this last meal was so disappointing that I won’t forget it.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
HOPWOOD
“Try it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Waited extra long for our food...dessert was offered for free and a discount. Food was very good... would definitely go back!

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Robin Alexander? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Robin Alexander, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.