“Wonderful hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kirkley Hotel

You added Kirkley Hotel to your Saves list
Kirkley Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 Candlers Mountain Road, Lynchburg, VA 24502 (Formerly Radisson)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Lynchburg
Columbia, South Carolina
“Wonderful hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was my 2nd time staying at the Kirkley while taking a class at Liberty University. On this trip, I was unable to eat breakfast each morning but I did get to enjoy breakfast the first morning I was there. It was good and they offered a variety of breakfast options.

The hotel was very quiet and my room was clean. The hotel staff were very friendly and accomodating. They even offered to drive me to and from class each day.

I would recommend the Kirkley to any of my friends and family visiting the Lynchburg area. This is a very nice hotel and I will definitely be staying here again for my last class at Liberty.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I'm the Owner of the Kirkley Hotel,

Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you again during your next Liberty University Intensive class.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Virginia Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We recently stayed three nights here. Hotel is well located just off highway. We had requested a disabled access room which turned out to be the ground floor just off the lobby. Room was large, but there was no fridge or microwave, and the sink area was miniscule. Bathroom was large with nice towels but the door opened outwards and directly into whoever was standing at the sink. No sink mirror (the area was open) so the only good mirror for makeup etc. was on the closet doors, immediately behind you if you were standing at the sink. (There was a little round mirror but there was nowhere to put it where there was good light). This made the whole area VERY cramped which seemed unnecessary, given the overall size of the room.

We had had a busy day of travelling and wanted an early night. We did stop in for a drink at the dismal bar but it was chilly and uncomfortable and empty(and only open until 8.30pm?) so we decided to take our drinks back to the room. We had to be escorted by a (very nice) bar assistant because we were carrying 'open containers'. Possibly an ABC rule but one which we have never encountered before. Plans for an early night were not to be - we were located right behind the pool which was occupied by a large family group that included screaming children, and that did not close until 11pm. (Aside about the pool - very odd to have a large window looking in from the lobby to the pool area). The noise from the pool was just the beginning. We then heard doors slamming, people talking, and the ice machine whirring. After finally getting to sleep, we were awoken by more door slamming, talking, sounds of people walking by - at 6am.

On Friday night there was some sort of group in the hotel who evidently had most of their fun between the hours of midnight and 2.30am. I'm guessing that they got about as much sleep as we did because they were up and about again at 6am and being just as loud as the night before.
The fault, of course, is not all to do with the hotel and involves the lack of thought from some of the guests, However, rooms are evidently separated by paper walls, and the doors have large gaps underneath, means that the place is very noisy. The icing on the cake had to be the air conditioner. We were in room 220 and the a/c was SO loud that I was startled awake by it several times. While it was running, we had to turn up the volume on the TV to be able to hear the sound.

The hotel had some positives - nice pool (hot tub was out of commission during our stay), was clean, good highway access, large room, new paint, lack of towels on the second day was addressed . Dance floor in the bar was obviously once spectacular and will hopefully be renovated,

I would like to quote the hotel manager/owner from a tripadvisor rating from October 2012: "There is no 'quiet hour', all hours of the day are quiet in the hotel because people's travel schedules and sleep requirements vary. The hotel has to quiet at all times." The fact is, the hotel is NOT quiet - ever- which is why we will not be staying again.

Room Tip: Try NOT to get a room near the pool or ice machine unless you need the accessible bathrooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I'm the Owner of the Kirkley Hotel,

I'm very sorry for your experience. There is no excuse for our mistakes.

We can and will do better.
charlotte, nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Clean, comfortable, quiet. Out of town on the highway, near Liberty U. Good breakfast, which is included if you book right. Ask or look for an online coupon. Lots of parking. Good shower. Front desk was friendly, maids not so much.

PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I'm the Owner of the Kirkley Hotel,

I appreciate your kind comments.

And, I'm glad you used our breakfast coupon.

The only place to find the coupon is on Trip Advisor, and the only way to book using the coupon is on our web site.

See you again soon.
Marietta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Kirkley hotel is the old Radison!! We stayed here for the evening on a whim. On Prior trips we have stayed at the Radison...when we booked this on hotwire we didn't have a clue it was the same hotel! The management at the Kirkley has kept up with what we expected of the Radison and they have added several personal touches that were really nice - even though we didn't even use them all.

The hotel is just off the main road, near a good place to eat - Shakers. The Lobby was clean and of moderate scale. Check in was a breeze, and the elevators super fast. Our room was a 2 Queen room with a great air conditioner. The beds were comfortable - but we did ask for an additional pillow.

There is an in room working fridge, desk area and one of the best perks was that they did not tamper with the television or remote control so we could hook our tablet to the hdmi and watch netflix or amazon prime. We appreciated this SO much - our previous hotel on the same trip blocked HDMI and did not have an OEM remote control so guests were forced to purchase hotel movies or give up a laptop if the kids need to watch a movie.

The Bathroom had a really nice touch - not only was it really clean, but the staff put ribbons around each towel in a bow just to dress up the place. The shower head was great - I would have liked to purchase one of those on my way out! It was the large sunflower head units, and was really nice.

Check out was easy - we used Hotwire - and the hotel did not put an eternal hold on our credit card - gotta appreciate that!

I would certainly stay here again on my next trip through. It would be an easy decision.

Room Tip: We booked a hotwire three star for this hotel. Late night parking may be difficult - when we left i...
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I'm the Owner of the Kirkley Hotel,

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We are working hard to constantly improve the hotel.

A few Tips:

- We do limit bandwidth if someone is streaming large video files. Your suggestion for others to stream video may not always bear fruit if we are very full and need to share bandwidth among all guests.

- A better and safer way to book is using the Free Breakfast offer on Trip Advisor and booking directly at the Kirkley Hotel web site. A link to us can be found on the Free Breakfast offer coupon.

See you again soon.
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

An older hotel being slowly updated floor by floor. My first impression of the room I stayed in was excellent. I'm not sure if every floor has been renovated but the ones that have are top notch. Comfortable bed, nice furnishings that are better than most hiltons i've stayed in. The pool and gym are about average for a good hotel. The pool is indoors, clean but old and lack luster. The bar (i'm told soon to be renovated) is straight out of the original era the hotel was built in and is almost amusing as a throw back. Overall, I slept great felt clean and comfortable my entire stay. The staff was great and friendly.

Room Tip: Back side faces away from the highway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
I'm the Owner of the Hotel,

This guest has it right, and the best is yet to come.

We are trying very hard to make the Kirkley the best VALUE in the region.

ALL rooms have been renovated, the lobby and our ballrooms. Without disruption to any of our guests we will be renovating our restaurant and it is going to be be smashing! It will be called the Great Room and feature home furnishings and farm-to-table cuisine.

Renovations go slowly because we are very busy and do not want to interfere with any guest's enjoyment of the hotel.

Please be sure to advantage of our Free Breakfast offer on this site, exclusively for Trip Advisor travellers.
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I visited the hotel for my daughter's 16th birthday on July 20,2013. WE were treated with such disreapect it was ridiculous. THE staff showed discriminating attitudes to not only myself but the chrilden and other guests as well. I have never been treated so unfairly in all my life. I asked for a refund due to feeling uncomfortable and the rude and unwarranted disrespect i was given and denied. No one should ever have to indure such behavior . Needless to say,my daughter was frustrated and upset. I will never suggest this hotel to anyone. Poor behavior for such a so-called upscale hotel.

PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
I'm the Owner of the Kirkley Hotel,

This guest invited more than one dozen outside guests to our pool and had at least 16 people in the room when she was evicted.

We tried conscientiously to control the situation and gave this guest numerous chances to comply with our policies, which she had agreed to upon check in, related to the hotel rooms and amenities being exclusively for registered guests.
Portsmouth, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The Kirkley was cleaner and more fresh than the last time I stayed there, and I was fine with it on that visit. I stayed five nights in a non-smoking ground-floor room with refrigerator and microwave. The room had been refurbished with carpet and spruced up. The bed was clean and comfortable, and I saw no sign of bugs. The bathroom was clean, although the vent in the bathroom was full of dust and dirt and had not been touched in quite some time.

The policy that was spelled out to me on check-in was that pets were not permitted, but each night of my stay I saw dogs in the hall and heard dogs barking in the rooms near me. There is also a sign by the back door that tells patrons about cleaning up after their dog, which seems out of place in a hotel that supposedly does not allow pets.

The staff was friendly and cooperative, and there is coffee in the morning in the lobby. The attached restaurant had some reasonable prices and the food was good at both breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
I'm the Owner of the Kirkley Hotel,

It is nice to see you came back.

For now, we do allow dogs (only) under 30 pounds. There is a fee for the pet, and it must remain in a crate (we provide them if the guest does not have one) the entire time of the stay - even when the guest is in the room. It is disappointing to know that you heard a dog barking. We can and will be more vigilant.

I hope you continue to use the Kirkley and our breakfast offer for Trip Advisor clients who book on our web site.

Also, try our new pizzas, all ingredients are from the area around Naples, Italy and conform to True Napolitan Pizza Association standards.

Been to Kirkley Hotel? Share your experiences!