“NO REFUNDS” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kirkley Hotel

You added Kirkley Hotel to your Saves list
Kirkley Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 Candlers Mountain Road, Lynchburg, VA 24502 (Formerly Radisson)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Lynchburg
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
“NO REFUNDS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our tournament location was moved, and even though the policy states you can cancel unitl 4pm the day of the event the Hotel manager would not cancel my reservation. .The manager said she did not know who charges for the room, or how we were going to be charged and acted igonorant of their policy. She would not refund the money and was rude on the phone and did not take care of the customer.. I would recommend to stay away from a hotel whose manager does not know what is going on.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
This is a very unfortunate incident.

At the time this review was written Orbitz had admitted that they made the error, and had in fact refunded this guest a portion of his money - $50.

When I learned that he did not get all of his money back from them I forced them to fully refund his money.

This was Orbitz' error because the printed the wrong cancellation policy on this gentleman's confirmation. The accurate cancellation policy was on Orbitz' site, but not on the email confirmation.

I've repeatedly encouraged readers to purchase directly with us and to avoid online travel agencies. You can get free breakfast for 2 with the coupon we have on Trip Advisor.

When booking any hotel room, always book directly with the property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We struck lucky with this one. Recently renovated rooms, outside lounging area (though shame no drinks allowed there) and great breakfast all wrapped up for $120. Great location next to interstate, easy drive into town for dinner and free parking. We're travelling and would have booked into more of these hotels if it had been a chain.

Room Tip: 5th floor is the top floor and worked well for us.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for your recognition of the value we present.

I too wish we had another property. We love our work and making clients happy. Maybe some day, but for now we need to be sure that every one of our guests has the same experience you did.

See you next time.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed at Kirkley Hotel for an Intensive class at Liberty University. The hotel is located just a few minutes from Liberty and Thomas Road Baptist Church, in a very quiet neighborhood. There are many options for dinner, including the Hotel’s Restaurant. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a nice young man who informed that our room wasn’t ready (their check in starts at 4 PM and we were a little earlier). Once the rooms were ready, I was called to check in and for my surprise I was informed that they would charge us an extra $10 dollars per day for our child and I should sign a paper agreeing with these charges! I explained that there was probably a mistake since I had made reservations for 2 adults and 1 child and had PAID IN ADVANCE! I’ve showed them the confirmation that I received from Hotels.com. The lady at the front desk told me that there is a “small print on the Hotels.com reservations that says that charges may apply for an extra person” and that she personally had have this happened to her a couple times when she travelled. Another lady joined her after watching our conversation and supported the Hotel position. Again, I explained to them that my son wasn’t an “extra person”. It was PLAIN WRITTEN in my reservation that THERE WAS a child (and his age) included in the price that I’ve paid. After much talking, the front desk told that they were going to waive our son’s charges and so they did. Our room was spacious, nicely decorated, clean, linens smelled fresh and beds were somewhat comfortable (I don’t particularly like double beds for couples). The room was only equipped with a TV. Wireless connection was ok. Bathroom was not big, had a coffee maker and hair dryer and it was clean. Breakfast was not included and their restaurant charged about $10 per person for breakfast. The hotel has an indoor pool which was closed all day on Monday but opened the other days. There was also an exercising area and a pretty patio with chairs. There was plenty of space for parking. We noticed that the male staff was very nice and polite but the female staff didn’t seem to be the same way at all. In rare occasions they would make eye contact or smile. Overall we had a good week. That was our 7th trip to Lynchburg for Intensives in the past 13 months and we still have to come back few more times but we don’t plan to stay at Kirkley’s again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
I feel awful about the experience this guest had. While complimentary of our product, she had a bad arrival and welcome. Ultimately that lead to a less than high regard for the property.

We offer free breakfast for 2 people to those who book online at our website (kirkleyhotel.com) and use the promo code tripbreakfast. The coupon is on tripadvisor and there is a link to our site. All of this could have been avoided. I wish there was some way to repair our reputation with her.

We have no control over the optics on Hotels.com, and they hide the charges. Our site, unlike hotels.com does not hide the charges. If she loaded the guests as indicated on Hotels.com we would have made clear the charges from the beginning.

With respect to Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz and others like them, although we sell rooms there, I always encourage all travelers to book directly with the hotels (whenever you travel) by phone or on their web site. Hotels.com hides the charges even though we tell them about them. We have no choice but to distribute through the online agencies in this 'new world', but it is fraught with trouble for customer and hotelier alike. Book direct with the seller of the product and avoid middlemen always.

I don't know if any of this will make Ilovetotravel211 feel better about us, but please know that we care and are working very hard to have an excellent product from top to bottom.
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Our group first stayed at the Kirkley in 2009 and we chose to return there in 2012. They were extremely accommodating, the staff was friendly and willing to help. Besides staying in the rooms, our group had our Meet 'n Greet in the ball room and everything went well. The cookies they were delicious!!

Room Tip: Highly recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
We enjoyed the group too. What lovely people.

We're looking forward to next year.
Upper
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband recently stayed at the Kirkley Hotel in Lynchburg. I would definitely stay here again. The room was great and the hotel was reasonably priced. We both enjoyed the breakfast, thanks to the coupon available on tripadvisor.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I glad you took us up on the breakfast for 2 offer. I wish more people did.

Looking forward to seeing you next time you're in.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed at the Kirkley this week after not having been to Lynchburg for approximately one year and was immediately impressed by the obvious improvments to almost every facet of the hotel.

On the last few trips I stayed there for its proximity to my destination. I felt the that the quality of the hotel had been in decline and considered trying one of the many other options in the area. This trip has convinced me to continue my patronage.

The staff, which I always considered to be very helpful, continues to be another bright spot.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
I appreciate the kind comments. We are going to continue to make improvements for as long as we own the hotel. We are striving to be the best hotel in the region.
Lula, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

I do student travel and while visiting the Lynchburg area with a group we stayed at the Kirkley. The property was nice, the rooms were good, the front desk staff were accommodating, but the owner was at the hotel during our stay and he was beyond rude. He AND HIS DOG came to the floor we had our student group on and went into a fit of rage because the kids were not in bed. We had just gotten them in from eating and they were all headed to their rooms. We had a very exciting and adventurous day and some of them were discussing the events of the day WITH THE ADULTS when he showed up pitching a fit! So rude, very un-professional and definitely not the type of person that should not be dealing with the public. I WILL NEVER use that hotel again when I have a group. We were not a large group but we definitely filled rooms that would have been empty on the night of our visit-the facility was nowhere near sold out.

• Stayed September 2012
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
I'm sorry that this guest was not satisfied with her experience at the hotel. We try extremely hard to provide a quiet environment for all guests. Clearly we failed in this instance.

We will strive to be much better.

Been to Kirkley Hotel? Share your experiences!