“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Lynchburg/Liberty University

Save Saved
You added Wingate by Wyndham Lynchburg/Liberty University to your Saves list
Wingate by Wyndham Lynchburg/Liberty University
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3777 Candlers Mountain Rd, Liberty University - East Campus, Lynchburg, VA 24502   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 22 hotels in Lynchburg
NH
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during my first winter intensive course at Liberty University. I had heard that this was the hotel to be at and kept calling the hotel until they finally had a room available for me. I arrived at LYH airport and was promptly picked up by the hotel's airport shuttle after calling to let them know that I needed transportation. The front desk staff were professional and friendly. I was able to request a room that overlooked Liberty University and the view was beautiful. The staff knew I was a student attending an intensive course and suggested that I be put on the fifth floor (the highest floor) away from the other customers that were attending Winterfest, as I was told that those customers can get quite rowdy. They told me that if I had any issues with noise to notify them immediately and they would take care of it. The only sound I heard during my stay was the occassional shutting of a door and a rare case of someone talking in the hall on the way to the elevator, both of which did not bother me at all. I did not have a rental car and needed to take the Liberty University shuttle that came to the hotel and brought me directly to the DeMoss building, where my intensive course was being held. If I did not have the shuttle, I would have been able to walk to the DeMoss building in about 11 minutes using a safe route for walking. Other than that, my room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the desk chair was comfortable (which made getting my school work done a little easier). The room had a microwave and refrigerator that I made use of every day during my stay. The bathroom was clean and the towels were sufficient. The wireless internet connection was adequate, which allowed me to complete my school work online with virtually no issues. I did, however, have some issues with playing videos and video chatting with my family. At the end of my stay, I had some difficulty printing out my boarding pass for my flight and the staff made sure that I was successful in my endeavor. On the day that I had to checkout of my hotel room, I was able to sleep in and leave the room right before the checkout time without being disturbed. Overall, I had a great experience and will definitely stay at this hotel again when I have intensive courses in the summer at Liberty University.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Brian K, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Lynchburg/Liberty University, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
WOW… what a GREAT REVIEW! WinterFest is one of our busiest weekends of the year and our staff worked very hard preparing for the event. Our Breakfast Manager, Teresa, started her planning in October for this event!

Our staff realizes how demanding the classes are for the LU Intensives and we want to make sure that we do everything we can to make our guests feel comfortable so they can be prepared for class. (There is a reason they are called “Intensives”… because they are intense!)

Last week, our staff passed out an “iCARE Survey” specifically to our guests who stayed with us for their Intensive Class. We wanted to know what amenities were important to them and see if they had any suggests for improvements. We received great input and will use these suggestions as we prepare for our remodeling later this year.

Thanks again for sharing your comments… it means a lot to our guests and to future students from Liberty University that are interested in staying with us at the Wingate by Wyndham.

853 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The offerings of the hotel changed between when I booked and when I got here. Hotel is secluded from the rest of the city including all food, nothing to eat here other than mediocre breakfast. I had bugs in my room 4 out of the 7 nights I stayed. Coffee maker, alarm clock, heat/air, fridge didn't work properly. Housekeeping was a joke. All they did was take out the trash and dirty towels, which were not always replenished - no actual cleaning was done in my room the whole week. The cook and one of the ladies at the front desk were friendly and helpful but the majority of the staff were rude and not helpful at all. At one point they talked trash about another guest that I knew while at the front desk so others guests could here. For the price and the brand I will never stay here again and won't recommend it either.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brian K, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Lynchburg/Liberty University, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
The Wingate by Wyndham in Lynchburg was recently purchased by Liberty University and is under new management. We have made many improvements including the addition of shuttle service by Liberty University to campus, shopping centers and restaurants within a 1 mile radius. During this time our TripAdvisor scores on cleanliness and customer service have improved dramatically. We hope that you will stay with us again so you can experience the difference that our team has made.
BURKE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel staff was always friendly, from front desk clerks to cleaning staff. The hotel was clean, room was clean and fresh. My only "complaint" was we were on the back side of the hotel and I guess there is some sort of "snow" park up the mountain and at 0124... the sounds of snow making woke me. Would love to get back down to the area and would choose to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Thanks for the compliment on the “clean & fresh” room, our Housekeeping and Maintenance Staff have been working very hard to deep clean our guest rooms during the month of December. From check-in to check-out our staff our staff has learned to “Inspect what they expect” so we can exceed the expectations of our guests. I am not sure what the noise that you heard, but believe it may have been a generator that was located nearby, but it was only there temporarily.
Olney, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is the second year we've stayed here during the holidays while visiting family in Lychburg. We stayed at different hotels the two previous years. Wingate was by far the best experience. The Hotel is convenient and easy to get to. It has incredible views of the surrounding mountains. The staff at the front desk and breakfast were extremely friendly and helpful on both visits (this year and last year). When we needed towels, change, or directions they were prompt and extremely nice. Our daughters (11 y.o. and 9 y.o.) LOVE the pool/hot tub area. It's very convenient that towels are available poolside. We will definitely stay here again next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brian K, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Lynchburg/Liberty University, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
One of our values that we recently reviewed with our staff is: “You never get a second chance to make a first impression”. Your review really shows what an impact that our staff makes each and every day. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.
CATONSVILLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This time we stayed on the first floor. We were so surprised at how spacious these rooms are. Plenty of space for my 3-year old to play. It was clean, quiet, and pleasant. The air is clean, no scent of cigarette smoke. This is my home away from home when visiting the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Consistency is very important to us in all of our 131 rooms… the best surprise is no surprise! Our staff really strives to exceed the expectations of our guests. We are glad that the Wingate is your “Home away from Home”.

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Lynchburg/Liberty University? Share your experiences!