“OK Experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B

You added Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B to your Saves list
Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   13193 Mountain Road, Lovettsville, VA 20180   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Lovettsville B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“OK Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The property is set back 4 miles from the main road and is very nice and well kept. However, I have a few issues with the place which I am hoping to highlight: 1) the room we stayed in (Blue Delft) was somewhat rustic with bugs in the bathroom and a very squeaky bed - you must be prepared for this. 2) country music blasted at 5 in the morning which awoke us - probably an infrequent occurrence but still...

Breakfast is great, you can tell the homeowners are really passionate about their place, and it is in a wonderful location if you want to see the various vineyards in the area. Overall, I would probably try a new place next time (perhaps something in downtown Leesburg which I thought was amazing) but I can see how some people can have a better experience than us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St0neMan0r, Manager at Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
We are so sorry that our guests did not have a wonderful experience in every possible way at Stone Manor. We strive to see that each of our guests have the best experience that can be provided. I can understand that one's experience can be marred by an early morning awakening. But this is the first time in five years that someone was awakened by another guest's loud music/alarm clock at Stone Manor. Each of our suites are separately insulated to limit sound from one suite to another. When we were alerted that there was loud music playing in another suite during the early hours of the morning, we went to investigate. Apparently, before we arrived, the music had been stopped. I was also surprised to learn that the bed squeaked in the Blue Delft Suite. I investigated since seeing this review and tightened a couple of the nuts holding the bed springs to the headboard but could not get the bed to squeak loudly. This was also the time of the year that the lady bugs and stink bugs are searching for places to winter. They will many times come through doors that have been opened by our guests. Although each of our rooms are provided a thorough cleaning, some lady bugs or stink bugs will enter the house each year. As our guest stated, we are in the country. We have a mountain in our backyard, and are surrounded by pastures and vineyards. About a third of our guests are return-guests and have selected us over-and-over again for that reason.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Alexandria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

It was so nice that we have stayed here twice! Spencer and Beth are great hosts and we will def go back there again.

You are greeted by the owners Beth and Spencer. They are absolutely a wonderful couple. We stated in the peacock room both times. THe house is georgeous and VERY spacious.

Breakfast is a wonderful spread of homemade quiches, turnovers, scones, suasage, bacon, eggs, and more which are all made by Beth and Spencer. THe last time we stayed was over Xmas 2011. We even had lil gifts to open along with breakfast. We shared a wonderful morning with their family there as well. I see no reason that anyone would walk away from the table hungry.

For lunch and dinner there are many of wonderful places near by via a short drive. Our favorite is Magnolias at the Mill. The food is so good that we are going to use them to cater our wedding.

Room Tip: Peacock Suite is awesome!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I made phone reservations with Beth to spend two days at the manor as a surprise for my wife's birthday. She was delightful to talk to and made me feel our visit was going to be an exceptional one. Beth and Spencer were gone for the day when we arrived but we were greeted by John, Crystal and Robin who took time away from making up rooms to give us a tour of the house. Robin served a complimentary glass of wine and we relaxed in the kitchen area, snacking on home made scones. Robin suggested Magnolia's for dinner and phoned for the necessary reservations. It turned out to be an excellent choice. We learned the manor had hosted a wedding over the weekend which likely made the house a bit more messy than usual and accounted for the staff working hard to get the place cleaned and ready when we arrived at 3:00 on Sunday afternoon. There was an objectional strong odor of pinesol or other cleaning product throughout the house and we hoped this was due to the wedding cleanup and not a usual everyday occurance.
Breakfast the next morning was at 8:30 and guests should be advised to arrive at or a little before that time since the food was all laid out on the table 5 to 10 minutes before. It was a chilly morning but the dining room ceiling fans were on with the result the pancakes and bacon were cold and the egg and potato dishes were just warm. A suggestion would be for the food to be served hot after the guests are seated which would have been a simple matter since we were only two couples that morning.
Spencer introduced himself briefly at breakfast before departing for the day but we did not meet Beth.
We spent a lovely morning in Harper's Ferry on John's suggestion and the afternoon visiting two wine tasting vinyards. Hillsborough vinyard was the best, sitting on the patio with our wine and a wedge of cheese. Usually, B&Bs we stay at have the room tidied up and the bed made when we are out during the day but, apparently, this is not customary at Stone Manor.
We headed off to the Market Table restaurant on Monday evening but it was closed and we ended up at Andy's which I would not recommend.
The next morning we were joined by a third couple for breakfast and enjoyed a lively conversation with them. However, the food was again laid out before 8:30 and was cold before we could start. Spencer sat with us for half an hour or so and we appreciated his company. I was anxious to meet Beth after our nice phone conversation but she did not join us. I did not see or meet her the two days we were there.
Our stay was quiet and relaxing in a beautiful setting. We stayed in the turrent room and really liked the huge shower and ample double basin sink area. The bed was quite comfortable as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm glad that this couple had a wonderful time and were treated well by our staff while Beth and I took a day off after a busy weekend. Stone Manor is blessed to have a wonderful staff. Laurie has been with us for 5 years and Robin for 3 years. Check-in is usually at 3PM so that our guest services staff has between 11AM to 3PM to thoroughly clean each suite. Unfortunately, this couple elected to arrive before noon before the suites were ready. It was explained that the suites were still being cleaned and that check-in was not until 3PM, but they were allowed to check-in early and provided a tour while Laurie continued to clean. Apparently, breakfast must have been served by our staff before these guests had arrived. It is anticipated that guests will sometimes arrive late, so we typically keep the items warm until guests arrive. We attempt to have all six home-cooked courses and fresh baked goods ready by 8:30 AM for guests who do arrive at the scheduled time, but offer to re-heat anything that needs to be warmed for late-arriving guests. Our staff has been alerted to this review to make sure not to serve any of the courses that need to be kept warm until guests arrive for breakfast.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay. The owner is wonderful and the manor is beautiful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday on March 16-18th and I have to say it was unimaginable. I LOVED Spencer and Beth; they were welcoming, inviting, kind and genuinely caring. The first night we were on our way out and we needed some recommendations and we were served wine and smoked salmon. I was in heaven and so was my husband. we went to Magnolias at the Mill and received a 10% discount and the food was delectable. Breakfast was delicious and original; plus she catered to me because I do not eat pork or beef and my husband is allergic to fruit. We were served exactly what we wanted. Beth made us some organic bath salt for our night in the jacuzzi for my birthday. We are already planning our next trip there. I recommend this B&B to anyone and have recommended it to everyone since we've been back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Owings Mills, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I are on a quest to find our favorite B&B or Country Inn within a three hour driving distance from our home in Owings Mills, Maryland. Since January, 2012, we have stayed at 7 B&Bs or Country Inns from Cape May to wine country Virginia and we still have more planned. BUT, if I were going to build the perfect B&B it would be Stone Manor in Lovettsville, Virginia. The front of the B&B is the original house with stone walls that are at least a two feet thick. The original house was added on with care and thought to make it the best B&B I have ever stayed at. The kitchen is in the original house and is most welcoming and rustically beautiful and the windows (now interior windows) are opened to the addition of the great room dining area with the ceiling being about 19 feet (If I remember correctly). The suites in the B&B are large and the baths are incredible and I could not have planned the layout any better. Our Peacock suite had a large whirlpool tub, dual sinks, two person steam shower and an incredible amount of space plus the water closet was closed in with a door and exhaust fan (PERFECT). And what can I say about the chickens…they were beautiful with their delightful feathery feet and beautiful coloring.

You might have noticed I have not said anything about our innkeepers, Spence and Beth, as I always like to save the best for last. When we entered the Inn, Spencer realizing that we had all our motorcycle gear, wasted no time taking us directly to our suite so we could unload. He waited and then took us on a tour of the house. Some of the rooms were open before arrivals and we got a walk through, a tour of the rest of the house and ended up in the kitchen with Beth and Lee (a neighbor who stopped by) where Beth poured wine and brought in her favorite chicken for me to pet. We felt like family. After my complaining about my “helmet hair,” Beth and Spencer arranged for transportation to our restaurant reservations at the Magnolia’s at the Mill (recommended by Spencer) and saved the day (or a least my dignity).

I just realized how long I have been going on – so I will finish saying the six course breakfast was delightful, specially the chocolate scones!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed here one night during a holiday weekend. The entire place is just beautiful. We had the peacock room, which I think is smaller than the other ones, but it was great. It was clean. And the couple that runs the place were incredibly friendly and helpful. The best part of the trip was the brunch at Stone Manor. It was served in this gorgeous dining room on a long table for all the guests. It was several courses and everything was delicious. The only complaint is the wine bottle my boyfriend purchased to be waiting in our room; it was awful (and from Oregon, which is strange since there are VA vineyards all around). That was the only disappointment.

While there, we drove to some vineyards during the day and at night we drove over to the casino in Charleston, WV. We also wanted to try the Restaurant on Patowmack Farm, but it is closed on Sundays!

I will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B? Share your experiences!