“Birthday Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B to your Saves list
Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   13193 Mountain Road, Lovettsville, VA 20180   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Lovettsville B&B and Inns
Richmond, Virginia
“Birthday Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I made phone reservations with Beth to spend two days at the manor as a surprise for my wife's birthday. She was delightful to talk to and made me feel our visit was going to be an exceptional one. Beth and Spencer were gone for the day when we arrived but we were greeted by John, Crystal and Robin who took time away from making up rooms to give us a tour of the house. Robin served a complimentary glass of wine and we relaxed in the kitchen area, snacking on home made scones. Robin suggested Magnolia's for dinner and phoned for the necessary reservations. It turned out to be an excellent choice. We learned the manor had hosted a wedding over the weekend which likely made the house a bit more messy than usual and accounted for the staff working hard to get the place cleaned and ready when we arrived at 3:00 on Sunday afternoon. There was an objectional strong odor of pinesol or other cleaning product throughout the house and we hoped this was due to the wedding cleanup and not a usual everyday occurance.
Breakfast the next morning was at 8:30 and guests should be advised to arrive at or a little before that time since the food was all laid out on the table 5 to 10 minutes before. It was a chilly morning but the dining room ceiling fans were on with the result the pancakes and bacon were cold and the egg and potato dishes were just warm. A suggestion would be for the food to be served hot after the guests are seated which would have been a simple matter since we were only two couples that morning.
Spencer introduced himself briefly at breakfast before departing for the day but we did not meet Beth.
We spent a lovely morning in Harper's Ferry on John's suggestion and the afternoon visiting two wine tasting vinyards. Hillsborough vinyard was the best, sitting on the patio with our wine and a wedge of cheese. Usually, B&Bs we stay at have the room tidied up and the bed made when we are out during the day but, apparently, this is not customary at Stone Manor.
We headed off to the Market Table restaurant on Monday evening but it was closed and we ended up at Andy's which I would not recommend.
The next morning we were joined by a third couple for breakfast and enjoyed a lively conversation with them. However, the food was again laid out before 8:30 and was cold before we could start. Spencer sat with us for half an hour or so and we appreciated his company. I was anxious to meet Beth after our nice phone conversation but she did not join us. I did not see or meet her the two days we were there.
Our stay was quiet and relaxing in a beautiful setting. We stayed in the turrent room and really liked the huge shower and ample double basin sink area. The bed was quite comfortable as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St0neMan0r, Manager at Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
I'm glad that this couple had a wonderful time and were treated well by our staff while Beth and I took a day off after a busy weekend. Stone Manor is blessed to have a wonderful staff. Laurie has been with us for 5 years and Robin for 3 years. Check-in is usually at 3PM so that our guest services staff has between 11AM to 3PM to thoroughly clean each suite. Unfortunately, this couple elected to arrive before noon before the suites were ready. It was explained that the suites were still being cleaned and that check-in was not until 3PM, but they were allowed to check-in early and provided a tour while Laurie continued to clean. Apparently, breakfast must have been served by our staff before these guests had arrived. It is anticipated that guests will sometimes arrive late, so we typically keep the items warm until guests arrive. We attempt to have all six home-cooked courses and fresh baked goods ready by 8:30 AM for guests who do arrive at the scheduled time, but offer to re-heat anything that needs to be warmed for late-arriving guests. Our staff has been alerted to this review to make sure not to serve any of the courses that need to be kept warm until guests arrive for breakfast.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay. The owner is wonderful and the manor is beautiful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday on March 16-18th and I have to say it was unimaginable. I LOVED Spencer and Beth; they were welcoming, inviting, kind and genuinely caring. The first night we were on our way out and we needed some recommendations and we were served wine and smoked salmon. I was in heaven and so was my husband. we went to Magnolias at the Mill and received a 10% discount and the food was delectable. Breakfast was delicious and original; plus she catered to me because I do not eat pork or beef and my husband is allergic to fruit. We were served exactly what we wanted. Beth made us some organic bath salt for our night in the jacuzzi for my birthday. We are already planning our next trip there. I recommend this B&B to anyone and have recommended it to everyone since we've been back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Owings Mills, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I are on a quest to find our favorite B&B or Country Inn within a three hour driving distance from our home in Owings Mills, Maryland. Since January, 2012, we have stayed at 7 B&Bs or Country Inns from Cape May to wine country Virginia and we still have more planned. BUT, if I were going to build the perfect B&B it would be Stone Manor in Lovettsville, Virginia. The front of the B&B is the original house with stone walls that are at least a two feet thick. The original house was added on with care and thought to make it the best B&B I have ever stayed at. The kitchen is in the original house and is most welcoming and rustically beautiful and the windows (now interior windows) are opened to the addition of the great room dining area with the ceiling being about 19 feet (If I remember correctly). The suites in the B&B are large and the baths are incredible and I could not have planned the layout any better. Our Peacock suite had a large whirlpool tub, dual sinks, two person steam shower and an incredible amount of space plus the water closet was closed in with a door and exhaust fan (PERFECT). And what can I say about the chickens…they were beautiful with their delightful feathery feet and beautiful coloring.

You might have noticed I have not said anything about our innkeepers, Spence and Beth, as I always like to save the best for last. When we entered the Inn, Spencer realizing that we had all our motorcycle gear, wasted no time taking us directly to our suite so we could unload. He waited and then took us on a tour of the house. Some of the rooms were open before arrivals and we got a walk through, a tour of the rest of the house and ended up in the kitchen with Beth and Lee (a neighbor who stopped by) where Beth poured wine and brought in her favorite chicken for me to pet. We felt like family. After my complaining about my “helmet hair,” Beth and Spencer arranged for transportation to our restaurant reservations at the Magnolia’s at the Mill (recommended by Spencer) and saved the day (or a least my dignity).

I just realized how long I have been going on – so I will finish saying the six course breakfast was delightful, specially the chocolate scones!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed here one night during a holiday weekend. The entire place is just beautiful. We had the peacock room, which I think is smaller than the other ones, but it was great. It was clean. And the couple that runs the place were incredibly friendly and helpful. The best part of the trip was the brunch at Stone Manor. It was served in this gorgeous dining room on a long table for all the guests. It was several courses and everything was delicious. The only complaint is the wine bottle my boyfriend purchased to be waiting in our room; it was awful (and from Oregon, which is strange since there are VA vineyards all around). That was the only disappointment.

While there, we drove to some vineyards during the day and at night we drove over to the casino in Charleston, WV. We also wanted to try the Restaurant on Patowmack Farm, but it is closed on Sundays!

I will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Oakton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Spencer--innkeeper, tenor, chef and baker, minister, host, amateur archeologist.
Beth--innkeeper, heart, chef and gourmand, hostess, keeper-of-the-chickens, amateur archeologist, tour advisor.

This lovely couple are doing what they love. Entertaining, feeding, hosting, and advising friends and family in their beautiful home in an arcadian setting in the foothills of the Blue Ridge. "Friends and family" because no one stays a stranger for long after they check into The Stone Manor Vineyard and Orchard Bed and Breakfast.

From the initial arrival and tour of the property, to dropping your bags in an elegant and well-appointed room (soaps handcrafted by Beth) and advisement on wineries to visit, restaurants to try, sites to be seen...one feels embraced in the warmth of their home.

We were there for a wedding. Our wedding. A very small affair, just the two of us and our children and grandchild on a bright but cold winter afternoon in the parlor. Spencer, an ordained minister and licensed in Virginia, guided us through several phone calls and emails, adapted our vows, made the event both memorable and personal. It is called the "elopement package" but the elegance and simplicity and romance made it beautiful.

We stayed in the Peacock Room...a wonderful suite decorated with deep blues, tuscan antiques, a king bed, jacuzzi tub, multi-nozzle shower, a fireplace...it is indeed a special place, every item carefully placed so that the space is elegant, romantic and comfortable We slept well

The inside balconey opens up into the dining room. We awoke to the smells of breakfast being prepared and the wonderful sound of Spencer singing in the kitchen through windows that opened into the cathedral that is the dining area. A massive table (seats 12), a large chandelier, elegant settings, and dishes and racks filled with rashers of bacon and sausage, casserole dishes of potatoes and fruits, and racks of baked goods....chocolate scones with toffee and pasties filled with lentils, quinoa, spices all mashed into a savory delight. They make every attempt to grow their food, or buy local. All is top quality, and there is plenty of it. No one walks away hungry. If you are heading down the road to tour a winery, Beth will press a bag of her scones into your hand so that you can tempt the winemaker into perhaps a more generous taste. (I am sure he is aware of her bribes, and I heard that it works.)

I am a coffee snob. And here they succeed with me. The rich brew was fresh, hot, aromatic, and picquant. I went back for seconds and thirds and a final fourth.

But the conversation around the table turned eating into a feast. Spencer provided the background music as his songs were accompanied by the rattle and clatter and clink of pans and pots and glassware in the kitchen. Beth moved around the table, encouraging talk and introductions. She gave each newly arrived guest a quick tour of the menu, kept the food and the talk and the laughter going. Everyone was reluctant to push away from the table. Everyone felt they had met new friends.

Will we return? Absolutely! Will we recommend this place to family and friends? Yes and yes.

Thank you Beth and Spencer for making our wedding week-end so special.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I had business in nearby Leesburg but didn't want to stay at any of my previous hotels since I had recently begun to experiment with B&Bs. After a long and quite difficult internet search, I finally found Stone Manor. For my one-night stay, they had only the Manor Suite available, which is pricey but has a fabulous bathroom and an outside partially covered balcony, as well as a small kitchen and both living and dining room areas. My fiance and I arrived later than expected (after 6 pm) but were pleasantly greeted with wine and snacks and made to feel very welcome. We asked for and received a recommendation to a local restaurant and were given fairly good directions (the road had changed slightly by the addition of a roundabout, but we had no trouble perceiving which way we needed to go). The restaurant (Magnolia's) was as good as we'd been told and our reservation was honored very quickly though it had been made just a short time before AND the line waiting to be seated was out the door! Breakfast the next morning was unique, ample, and very tasty and pleasant. We didn't get much of an opportunity to interact with our fellow guests, but breakfast conversation was friendly and lively. Overall, it was a most enjoyable stay, though brief.

Room Tip: I liked the Manor Suite quite a bit but a leg fell off an upholstered chair in the living room area...