“One of a kind!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B

Expedia.com Hotels.com
Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   13193 Mountain Road, Lovettsville, VA 20180   |
Owings Mills, Maryland
“One of a kind!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I are on a quest to find our favorite B&B or Country Inn within a three hour driving distance from our home in Owings Mills, Maryland. Since January, 2012, we have stayed at 7 B&Bs or Country Inns from Cape May to wine country Virginia and we still have more planned. BUT, if I were going to build the perfect B&B it would be Stone Manor in Lovettsville, Virginia. The front of the B&B is the original house with stone walls that are at least a two feet thick. The original house was added on with care and thought to make it the best B&B I have ever stayed at. The kitchen is in the original house and is most welcoming and rustically beautiful and the windows (now interior windows) are opened to the addition of the great room dining area with the ceiling being about 19 feet (If I remember correctly). The suites in the B&B are large and the baths are incredible and I could not have planned the layout any better. Our Peacock suite had a large whirlpool tub, dual sinks, two person steam shower and an incredible amount of space plus the water closet was closed in with a door and exhaust fan (PERFECT). And what can I say about the chickens…they were beautiful with their delightful feathery feet and beautiful coloring.

You might have noticed I have not said anything about our innkeepers, Spence and Beth, as I always like to save the best for last. When we entered the Inn, Spencer realizing that we had all our motorcycle gear, wasted no time taking us directly to our suite so we could unload. He waited and then took us on a tour of the house. Some of the rooms were open before arrivals and we got a walk through, a tour of the rest of the house and ended up in the kitchen with Beth and Lee (a neighbor who stopped by) where Beth poured wine and brought in her favorite chicken for me to pet. We felt like family. After my complaining about my “helmet hair,” Beth and Spencer arranged for transportation to our restaurant reservations at the Magnolia’s at the Mill (recommended by Spencer) and saved the day (or a least my dignity).

I just realized how long I have been going on – so I will finish saying the six course breakfast was delightful, specially the chocolate scones!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed here one night during a holiday weekend. The entire place is just beautiful. We had the peacock room, which I think is smaller than the other ones, but it was great. It was clean. And the couple that runs the place were incredibly friendly and helpful. The best part of the trip was the brunch at Stone Manor. It was served in this gorgeous dining room on a long table for all the guests. It was several courses and everything was delicious. The only complaint is the wine bottle my boyfriend purchased to be waiting in our room; it was awful (and from Oregon, which is strange since there are VA vineyards all around). That was the only disappointment.

While there, we drove to some vineyards during the day and at night we drove over to the casino in Charleston, WV. We also wanted to try the Restaurant on Patowmack Farm, but it is closed on Sundays!

I will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Oakton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Spencer--innkeeper, tenor, chef and baker, minister, host, amateur archeologist.
Beth--innkeeper, heart, chef and gourmand, hostess, keeper-of-the-chickens, amateur archeologist, tour advisor.

This lovely couple are doing what they love. Entertaining, feeding, hosting, and advising friends and family in their beautiful home in an arcadian setting in the foothills of the Blue Ridge. "Friends and family" because no one stays a stranger for long after they check into The Stone Manor Vineyard and Orchard Bed and Breakfast.

From the initial arrival and tour of the property, to dropping your bags in an elegant and well-appointed room (soaps handcrafted by Beth) and advisement on wineries to visit, restaurants to try, sites to be seen...one feels embraced in the warmth of their home.

We were there for a wedding. Our wedding. A very small affair, just the two of us and our children and grandchild on a bright but cold winter afternoon in the parlor. Spencer, an ordained minister and licensed in Virginia, guided us through several phone calls and emails, adapted our vows, made the event both memorable and personal. It is called the "elopement package" but the elegance and simplicity and romance made it beautiful.

We stayed in the Peacock Room...a wonderful suite decorated with deep blues, tuscan antiques, a king bed, jacuzzi tub, multi-nozzle shower, a fireplace...it is indeed a special place, every item carefully placed so that the space is elegant, romantic and comfortable We slept well

The inside balconey opens up into the dining room. We awoke to the smells of breakfast being prepared and the wonderful sound of Spencer singing in the kitchen through windows that opened into the cathedral that is the dining area. A massive table (seats 12), a large chandelier, elegant settings, and dishes and racks filled with rashers of bacon and sausage, casserole dishes of potatoes and fruits, and racks of baked goods....chocolate scones with toffee and pasties filled with lentils, quinoa, spices all mashed into a savory delight. They make every attempt to grow their food, or buy local. All is top quality, and there is plenty of it. No one walks away hungry. If you are heading down the road to tour a winery, Beth will press a bag of her scones into your hand so that you can tempt the winemaker into perhaps a more generous taste. (I am sure he is aware of her bribes, and I heard that it works.)

I am a coffee snob. And here they succeed with me. The rich brew was fresh, hot, aromatic, and picquant. I went back for seconds and thirds and a final fourth.

But the conversation around the table turned eating into a feast. Spencer provided the background music as his songs were accompanied by the rattle and clatter and clink of pans and pots and glassware in the kitchen. Beth moved around the table, encouraging talk and introductions. She gave each newly arrived guest a quick tour of the menu, kept the food and the talk and the laughter going. Everyone was reluctant to push away from the table. Everyone felt they had met new friends.

Will we return? Absolutely! Will we recommend this place to family and friends? Yes and yes.

Thank you Beth and Spencer for making our wedding week-end so special.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I had business in nearby Leesburg but didn't want to stay at any of my previous hotels since I had recently begun to experiment with B&Bs. After a long and quite difficult internet search, I finally found Stone Manor. For my one-night stay, they had only the Manor Suite available, which is pricey but has a fabulous bathroom and an outside partially covered balcony, as well as a small kitchen and both living and dining room areas. My fiance and I arrived later than expected (after 6 pm) but were pleasantly greeted with wine and snacks and made to feel very welcome. We asked for and received a recommendation to a local restaurant and were given fairly good directions (the road had changed slightly by the addition of a roundabout, but we had no trouble perceiving which way we needed to go). The restaurant (Magnolia's) was as good as we'd been told and our reservation was honored very quickly though it had been made just a short time before AND the line waiting to be seated was out the door! Breakfast the next morning was unique, ample, and very tasty and pleasant. We didn't get much of an opportunity to interact with our fellow guests, but breakfast conversation was friendly and lively. Overall, it was a most enjoyable stay, though brief.

Room Tip: I liked the Manor Suite quite a bit but a leg fell off an upholstered chair in the living room area...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Germantown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife & I spent the New Year's Eve there. The owners Beth & Spencer were excellent hosts. We were treated to good local wine & snacks early in the evening & to an 8-course breakfast the next morning. The only complaint we have is that our bed wasn't very comfortable, perhaps because we prefer firmer mattresses. We had the cheapest room & it was worth it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

So many nice-ities, not sure where to start. I guess the wine, because that was always flowing! To run a B&B you gotta wanna, and the owners Spenser and Beth are totally into it. They are both so friendly that the guests all met and talked with them in the kitchen both days, like it was a Christmas party among old friends. We stayed in the Manor Suite, which is huge and worth the price. The place was all decked out with Holiday Cheer, there were several Christmas trees, including one in our suite, and must have been a half-mile of tinsel wrapped around various stair railings, window frames, etc. The public areas were very nice, three places to just sit and mellow out, although one had a drum set so that might not stay mellow! The breakfast both mornings was WOW, and, as advertised, meant we didn't even think about lunch - both quantity and quality was excellent. Oh yes, and check out the chickens, they love tourists and apparently enjoy being photographed.

Room Tip: They are all very nice and priced appropriately, with the smaller ones less and larger ones more.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Watertown, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

My fiance and I, along with our puppy, stayed at Stone Manor in late September. We were in the area for a friend's wedding and were beyond thrilled we chose Stone Manor as our place to stay instead of any of the other options in the area. We have been to many B & Bs throughout our travels over the years and this one was by far the best we've ever been to! We stayed in the East Wing suite, which was competitively priced with neighboring hotels, and all I can say is that if you're debating a place to stay based on price then this should be a no brainer. The value and experience are both tremendous. After we arrived my fiance asked me to remind him of the cost per night, because he was shocked that the room wasn't more expensive (it was all so luxurious). Our weekend was planned solely around attending our friend's wedding that Saturday, but the 3 days overall turned into a wonderful vacation that we hope to do again the next time we have an opportunity!
Beth and Spencer are the most hospitable hosts we've ever met, in addition to being such sincerely caring and extremely nice people, and great cooks! They think of all your needs before you even do. My fiance and I traveled from CT and got stuck on the road the Friday night we went down and we wound up not getting in until 1am... We would have been completely fine with just letting ourselves into the room quietly and getting settled, but Beth still greeted us warmly at the door and helped us. To top that off, Beth came through in a pinch for us when we needed help preparing a card and wrapping a gift for our friends wedding just in time for us to leave without showing up late!
The breakfasts are to die for. I could go on and on. They are so filling you won't need to eat anything until dinner. The cooking is so creative and there's variety each day (my favorite was the white chocolate chip pancakes)
We booked the room last spring and then went and then adopted our puppy in August, just a month before our stay. Our puppy had a lot of separation anxiety at the time so we felt compelled to take her and were thrilled to learn we could bring her along. Beth and Spencer were extremely kind to our pup and we could tell that she felt happy there too :)
Overall, we can honestly say this was the best place we've ever stayed at. Just staying at Stone Manor alone is plenty of good reason to visit the Lovettsville area!

Room Tip: The East Wing is a tremendous value if $ is on your mind.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B? Share your experiences!