Spencer--innkeeper, tenor, chef and baker, minister, host, amateur archeologist.
Beth--innkeeper, heart, chef and gourmand, hostess, keeper-of-the-chickens, amateur archeologist, tour advisor.
This lovely couple are doing what they love. Entertaining, feeding, hosting, and advising friends and family in their beautiful home in an arcadian setting in the foothills of the Blue Ridge. "Friends and family" because no one stays a stranger for long after they check into The Stone Manor Vineyard and Orchard Bed and Breakfast.
From the initial arrival and tour of the property, to dropping your bags in an elegant and well-appointed room (soaps handcrafted by Beth) and advisement on wineries to visit, restaurants to try, sites to be seen...one feels embraced in the warmth of their home.
We were there for a wedding. Our wedding. A very small affair, just the two of us and our children and grandchild on a bright but cold winter afternoon in the parlor. Spencer, an ordained minister and licensed in Virginia, guided us through several phone calls and emails, adapted our vows, made the event both memorable and personal. It is called the "elopement package" but the elegance and simplicity and romance made it beautiful.
We stayed in the Peacock Room...a wonderful suite decorated with deep blues, tuscan antiques, a king bed, jacuzzi tub, multi-nozzle shower, a fireplace...it is indeed a special place, every item carefully placed so that the space is elegant, romantic and comfortable We slept well
The inside balconey opens up into the dining room. We awoke to the smells of breakfast being prepared and the wonderful sound of Spencer singing in the kitchen through windows that opened into the cathedral that is the dining area. A massive table (seats 12), a large chandelier, elegant settings, and dishes and racks filled with rashers of bacon and sausage, casserole dishes of potatoes and fruits, and racks of baked goods....chocolate scones with toffee and pasties filled with lentils, quinoa, spices all mashed into a savory delight. They make every attempt to grow their food, or buy local. All is top quality, and there is plenty of it. No one walks away hungry. If you are heading down the road to tour a winery, Beth will press a bag of her scones into your hand so that you can tempt the winemaker into perhaps a more generous taste. (I am sure he is aware of her bribes, and I heard that it works.)
I am a coffee snob. And here they succeed with me. The rich brew was fresh, hot, aromatic, and picquant. I went back for seconds and thirds and a final fourth.
But the conversation around the table turned eating into a feast. Spencer provided the background music as his songs were accompanied by the rattle and clatter and clink of pans and pots and glassware in the kitchen. Beth moved around the table, encouraging talk and introductions. She gave each newly arrived guest a quick tour of the menu, kept the food and the talk and the laughter going. Everyone was reluctant to push away from the table. Everyone felt they had met new friends.
Will we return? Absolutely! Will we recommend this place to family and friends? Yes and yes.
Thank you Beth and Spencer for making our wedding week-end so special.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stone Manor on Mountain Road is surrounded by five vineyards and boasts one of the finest biking roads in the country, luxurious suites, spa products, and beautiful gardens. Stone Manor is known for its rich collection of stained glass windows and the beautiful and productive gardens. The Manor's breakfasts boast homemade jams, jellies, fresh eggs from our own animals and other locally produced and organic treats. The rooms are richly appointed, with luxurious bathing suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia and Hotwire so you can book your Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard B&B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard Bed And Breakfast
- Stone Manor Vineyard & Orchard Hotel Lovettsville