“Love this restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Baltimore
“Love this restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I love this restaurant! We live over an hour away and it is worth the drive. The food is from local people and is incredibly fresh. The beer is cold and there is a good selection. They had excellent local wines! The staff was friendly and professional-they really knew their job. The cheese board here is incredible and everything we had for dinner we loved! We can't wait to go back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC
“Very Nice Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The food was very fresh and well prepared. Service was good too. Loved the paintings on the wall. I would dine here again, I just wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Purcellville, Virginia
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Outstanding food, most grown locally. Service was great. Prices were comparable to our area's other high quality restaurants. I'm so glad we finally tried this little gem.

Visited August 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Conversation with the Chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

A buddy of mine and I were out riding this past Saturday and I led us to the Market Table for a beer, as I had been there once before while out on the bike. I had the most pleasurable opportunity to sit with the owner/executive chef Jason Lage and chat for about 30 minutes. Even though he was gearing up for the Saturday evening hours, he still took the time out to talk, food, wine, more wine, and how much he would have rather joined the US Navy instead of the Army...but that is another conversation.
Chef Jason turned us on to his chilled poached foie gras appetizer with wild cherry gelatin on top and cherry preserves on the side. This was truly a creative, amazing way of preparing the foie gras.
The previous visit, I had the smoked pork barbeque sandwich, which was moist, plentiful and smothered in their wonderful house made sauce.
Though I have only had the opportunity to enjoy a couple of things on the menu, the passion and quality was very evident. And the fact that Chef Jason took the time to sit with my buddy and I, talk food, talk wine, talk military, gave us an indication in Jason's conviction to his art. He explained meticulously how he purchases as many of his ingredients from local farmers, how he grows his herbs out behind the restaurant and how he loves to adapt his menu to the season and local flavor.
Having eaten in fine restaurants all over the world, the heart and conviction that was in Jason's voice supported what I suspected about the restaurant...that it is full of spirit, intensity, and soul that is exhibited in the menu and the quality of the items served to the patrons.
Thanks for the time, Chef. Anchors aweigh. Keep doing what you are doing.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very good, could be great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

After an afternoon of wine tasting, we had dinner at Market Table Bistro in the teeny town of Lovettsville, in the middle of no where (but near the excellent Restaurant at Powtomac Farm where we tried to get a table but couldn't). This too is a "farm to table" restaurant, with a list of "farmers, artisans and foragers" at the top of the menu, all but two from Virginia. We had a party of seven, so we ordered several appetizers, and they were excellent: a foie gras pate, scallops, a beef tartare with quail egg called "steak and eggs," mac and cheese, plus deviled eggs. We didn't order, but saw the "tasting of tomatoes," and wish we had: it included four small plates with gaspacho, caprese, and two other tomato dishes. These were all creative and well prepared. The main dishes were a little dissapointing. We had the pork dish, which had too much pork belly. The chicken was a little dry (in my opinion, it needed a good brine), and the accompanying green beans were not just al dente, but hard. The shrimp and grits was good, but not great. The cat fish was good. The vegetarian mushroom dish may have been the hit of the night. They have an excellent wine list and beer selection. Our waitress was attentive at the beginning, but then sort of abandoned us, and never really asked us how our meal was. The ambiance was OK, but nothing special. I thought the room was a little warm. Still, a good destination after sampling Loudoun County wines. Very good, but not great-- but with a little improvement on the fundamentals, it could be great.