“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Purcellville, Virginia
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Outstanding food, most grown locally. Service was great. Prices were comparable to our area's other high quality restaurants. I'm so glad we finally tried this little gem.

Visited August 2012

96% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Conversation with the Chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

A buddy of mine and I were out riding this past Saturday and I led us to the Market Table for a beer, as I had been there once before while out on the bike. I had the most pleasurable opportunity to sit with the owner/executive chef Jason Lage and chat for about 30 minutes. Even though he was gearing up for the Saturday evening hours, he still took the time out to talk, food, wine, more wine, and how much he would have rather joined the US Navy instead of the Army...but that is another conversation.
Chef Jason turned us on to his chilled poached foie gras appetizer with wild cherry gelatin on top and cherry preserves on the side. This was truly a creative, amazing way of preparing the foie gras.
The previous visit, I had the smoked pork barbeque sandwich, which was moist, plentiful and smothered in their wonderful house made sauce.
Though I have only had the opportunity to enjoy a couple of things on the menu, the passion and quality was very evident. And the fact that Chef Jason took the time to sit with my buddy and I, talk food, talk wine, talk military, gave us an indication in Jason's conviction to his art. He explained meticulously how he purchases as many of his ingredients from local farmers, how he grows his herbs out behind the restaurant and how he loves to adapt his menu to the season and local flavor.
Having eaten in fine restaurants all over the world, the heart and conviction that was in Jason's voice supported what I suspected about the restaurant...that it is full of spirit, intensity, and soul that is exhibited in the menu and the quality of the items served to the patrons.
Thanks for the time, Chef. Anchors aweigh. Keep doing what you are doing.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very good, could be great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

After an afternoon of wine tasting, we had dinner at Market Table Bistro in the teeny town of Lovettsville, in the middle of no where (but near the excellent Restaurant at Powtomac Farm where we tried to get a table but couldn't). This too is a "farm to table" restaurant, with a list of "farmers, artisans and foragers" at the top of the menu, all but two from Virginia. We had a party of seven, so we ordered several appetizers, and they were excellent: a foie gras pate, scallops, a beef tartare with quail egg called "steak and eggs," mac and cheese, plus deviled eggs. We didn't order, but saw the "tasting of tomatoes," and wish we had: it included four small plates with gaspacho, caprese, and two other tomato dishes. These were all creative and well prepared. The main dishes were a little dissapointing. We had the pork dish, which had too much pork belly. The chicken was a little dry (in my opinion, it needed a good brine), and the accompanying green beans were not just al dente, but hard. The shrimp and grits was good, but not great. The cat fish was good. The vegetarian mushroom dish may have been the hit of the night. They have an excellent wine list and beer selection. Our waitress was attentive at the beginning, but then sort of abandoned us, and never really asked us how our meal was. The ambiance was OK, but nothing special. I thought the room was a little warm. Still, a good destination after sampling Loudoun County wines. Very good, but not great-- but with a little improvement on the fundamentals, it could be great.

Park City, Utah
“A touch of perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Our bed and breakfast recommended the restaurant. The town is super quaint so we were wondering about the culinary experience. We weren't disappointed. The chilled tomato soup was perfection. The pork was perfect and paired with unique fresh ingredients. The young waiter was a treat as he was versed in food and wine like an old pro. We waited to have dessert thinking we could find something in a neighboring town, but that was our mistake. We should have tried it here. Im sure it would have beenjust as perfect. There's nothing anywhere close open past sundown.

“Delicious, fresh, friendly and consistent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have feen a fan of MTB since they opened and would save visits for "special "occasions". A business dinner, a friend's birthday, etc. Now that we are lucky enough to live two blocks away, I have fallen love with MTB for an entirely new reason!

After attending the Lovettsville Mayfest this past Saturday and being the next person in line when thevperson in front of me got five bbq platters and they ran out )-:, I decided to walk home for a lighter lunch. As I prepared to turn onto Loudoun Street, I saw the MTB sign and went right in. They were pretty crowded for a Sat lunch at around 12:45. The servers greeted me warmly as usual and did not hesitate when I stated I was eating light. He brought me a chilled bottle of water beautifully presented in a clear milk bottle. He expertly and with quiet enthusiasm described the soups - mushroom or onion bisque - which both sounded delish to me - he noted the chive blossoms were grown in their own garden and when pushed, stated it was his fave. So of course, I ordered it. It was wonderfyl! Creamy, intense - lovely with a piece of fresh farm bread dipped in.

I ordered a mac & cheese to go for dinner with a local greens side salad, paid the reasonable $16 bill, tipped great, thanked my server and walked a block home.

Wow! The convenience of a small town bistro!

• Visited May 2012