“Charming hotel in downtown Lexington” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alexander-Withrow House and McCampbell Inn

Alexander-Withrow House and McCampbell Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lexington
Alexander-Withrow House and McCampbell Inn
Save Saved
You added Alexander-Withrow House and McCampbell Inn to your Saves list
11 N. Main St, Lexington, VA 24450   |
Ranked #18 of 21 Lexington B&B and Inns
Monkton, Maryland
“Charming hotel in downtown Lexington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

I spent the night at the McCampbell Inn last Spring while my son was visiting Washington and Lee University. The room was very comfortable, nicely decorated and reasonably priced. I'm looking forward to my stay there next week.

• Liked — Historic nature
  • Disliked — Very quiet!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Newport Beach, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

I chose this property for our one-night stay in Lexington because of its location and the hope of supporting a local hotelier versus a chain. Staying in historic buildings has obvious drawbacks but service and small amenities usually make for easy trade-offs. In this case, both were in short supply. Suite #2 had a parlor, kitchen sink with small counter, bath and separate bedroom. Our rate was $190. The staff was perfunctory. We were told that the sofa sleeper likely had sheets but we would have to make up the bed itself. There was no iron or blow dryer. The bathroom showerstall was stained making it look dirty. The towels were worn, faded, and fraying badly. Housekeeping had not thrown out the trash in the kitchen from the previous guests (Chinese take-out). The furnishings were adequate reminiscent of refurbished garage sale antiques. The floors creaked, but again, that is to be expected in a historic building. If you are a light sleeper, it could be a problem. An enhanced continental breakfast was included as part of the room rate but all of the guests were left to fend for themselves since the dining parlor at McCambell never opened (check-in, parking and dining are located at McCambell across the street). Upon check-out, I inquired if there had been a family emergency and if everything was alright. The gentleman was non-commital and begrudingly offered that "he didn't know he was suppose to open". There was no hint of an apology or even the courtesy of a discounted rate for the inconvenience. Downtown Lexington is lovely; the Stonewall Jackson Home and Musem most gratifying. We slept fine, we felt safe. However, if we return, we will stay at one of those chains were service, amenities and hospitality are a given!

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Non-existent service. No hospitality.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2005

Oh, man. My wife and I reserved a room in the Alexander-Withrow House months in advance for our first anniversary. We booked the most expensive (and supposedly nicest) room they offer. (They call it a "jacuzzi suite"). We checked into the room to find a small, cramped dirty room with a large bathtub. The furniture looked like it had been picked up at a garage sale 20 years ago, and there were DEAD BUGS everywhere, including in the "jacuzzi tub." The bathroom was filthy as well. In addition, the room is right off the street, and the front door to the room is a french door without a deadbolt. Anyone could easily break into the room.
We immediately asked for our money back and the proprieter obliged almost too easily. I think he must be used to people being disappointed with the rooms here. We lost our deposit, but were much happier at the Hampton Inn down the street.

• Stayed August 2005
Arlington, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2005

My wife and I recently stayed at the McCampbell Inn in Lexington, VA. After seeing their website ------------, I decided to make a reservation. The owners manage several "inns" in the Lexington area and based on my experience at the McCampbell, I would not visit any of their other establishments.

My pregnant wife and I were charged $160 for a dusty, hot room on the "third floor" which was actually just a converted attic. Before climbing the rickety stairs to our room we were tortured with what smelled like someone had sprayed an entire bottle of Glade air freshner.

Once in the room, we learned that the central air was broken and a wall unit would have to suffice. The unit made constant noise and made very loud noise every 30 minutes which kept waking us up all night long. The furniture was a mix of dusty, mix-and-match, yard-sale quality furniture that did nothing to complement an otherwise historic inn. My wife and I both woke up congested because of the extreme dust in what the manager related was the room they always rent last. The carpet looked to be at least 10 years old and the bed and linens were about the same age. In the morning, we found that the bathroom didn't include any shampoo and the towels were practically thread-bare.

The final slap in the face came the next morning when we were treated to a disgusting "continental breakfast" of store-bought muffins and yogurt. For $160 a night, a hot breakfast should not have been too much to ask. If the McCampbell Inn wants to call itself a bed and breakfast, it should provide a breakfast. Under their definition, the Holiday Inn Express should be considered a bed and breakfast because it offers a continental breakfast. I highly recommend against patronizing this motel that poses as a B&B. Their ONLY redeeming quality was the location in downtown Lexington.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Alexander-Withrow House and McCampbell Inn? Share your experiences!