“Great location...friendly...lovely room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alexander-Withrow House and McCampbell Inn

Alexander-Withrow House and McCampbell Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lexington
Alexander-Withrow House and McCampbell Inn
11 N. Main St, Lexington, VA 24450   |
Ranked #17 of 20 Lexington B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Great location...friendly...lovely room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I toroughly enjoyed my stay.

The man on reception was friendly and very helpful so this started me off very well indeed.

My room was lovely. This is an old inn so the room fitted this theme and this is exactly what I wanted. It was clean with a decent shower room and decent toileteries and good towels. A good, fresh, fluffy towel is alwayts a good sign of a well run hotel! I did have to go outside to get wi-fi. Management need to sort this as it is an easy fix.

I did not want the usual standard motel.hotel room that you can get in any part of the States.....do not be unreasonable and expect a modern room with all mod cons.

Breakfast had all that I need and was above average with fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal, breads, etc. Overall good valus as I was a late arrival and good businessmen will take a lower rate to fill a room.

Note to other owners.....an empty room can never be sold again!

I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

My old friend and I stayed two nights in the McCampbell Inn while visiting southwest Virginia. We loved the historic feel of the place, the spaciousness of the room, and the closeness to all the restaurants, shops, and Washington & Lee University. Yes, as other reviews have pointed out, the place could use a bit of sprucing up, but it was clean and warm and very comfortable. The continental breakfast is run-of-the-mill but perfectly adequate.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet because it didn't face the street.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

The room was listed on the Washington & Lee website as one of the places to stay in Lexington. This historic B&B sounded interesting. The website provided great pictures and a nice review of the location and rooms. I was a little skeptical because after my husband booked the room, I researched the Inn with tripadvisor. The reviews were not great but I thought we would give it a try. Our room was on the first floor facing the parking lot. The porch outside was great but the room was quite a disappointment. The rug was well worn, dirty, and even had what I believe was a cigarette burn in a non-smoking room. The bathroom was tight with little room for toiletries and the floor needed to be washed. Most notable were the sheets. They were so thin and worn that they were actually translucent. There were also tiny holes on the sides of the sheets where the threads had worn away.
Breakfast included dry cereals, yogurt, fruit, breakfast cakes, juice, coffee, and tea. While the breakfast was more than adequate for us, the milk was clearly sour. Our host was apologetic. With some much needed updates, this could be a fantastic place to stay due to the location and historic ambiance.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
icecreamlover1918
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

The McCampbell Inn is an intimate place favored by college parents like us. The service has an unapologetic "Mayberry RFD" feeling to it, in line with the personal, yet private atmosphere.
Everything in Lexington is within an easy walking distance.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

We made reservations in a hurry having only checked the historic inn website and were very disappointed! McCampbell Inn is old and tired (they might highlight its history; but improvements would make such a difference!). Sheets were thin, as were the towels. There are much better accommodations in Lexington for the price.
The room had old wall to wall carpeting and the bathroom was on par with a motel six. There is little or no insulation between the rooms; we could hear clearly what the next door neighbors were discussing!
Convenient to walking around Lexington, but will do my homework next time!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed here one night in August 2009, we were in room 201 which the innkeeper suggested was their most requested room. It was terrible. . the furniture was old but not antique, I would not sit on the upholstered sofa, there were dead bugs under the bed, the bathroom was extremely dated and the sheets and towels were colored (not white) and looked like they had been bought at yard sales. The location is superb but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Jax, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

In describing the accommodations at the McCampbell Inn, the phrase that first comes to my mind is Elizabeth Taylor’s inimitable line in “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?”: “What a dump!”
With the exception of the comments by the first reviewer, I believe the other three reviewers were right on point. The place was dirty and dusty, amenities almost nonexistent, and the furniture reminiscent of a Goodwill store. We spent three days there in a spacious suite on the third floor in the Alexander-Withrow House across the street from the main inn. The only parking was on-street or behind the main inn, about a block’s walk. The only coffee maker in the room was an electric kettle to heat hot water for pouring over cheap instant coffee, which, incidentally, was never replenished the whole time we were there. The small kitchen was actually a wet bar with a small refrigerator, a sink, and the aforementioned electric kettle. The glassware consisted of one coffee mug, one medium size wine glass, four sherry glasses and one tall tumbler, all of mixed style. On the second day, I was reading in the room in the morning when the maid arrived. I told her we would be going out in about an hour and for her to come back then. She left a stack of fresh towels and said for us to call her if we needed anything else. She never came back that day.
On the positive side, the inn is centrally located for easy walking access to most of the interesting sites in Lexington. Also, the continental breakfast was nice—coffee, orange juice, bagels, fresh fruit, cake and yogurt. The queen size bed was comfortable but the linens were old and needed changing.
In summary, I think the McCampbell Inn is only masquerading as an inn/B&B. It needs major upgrades in services and accommodations. Not worth the $200 per night (including taxes). I would never recommend it to anyone else.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Unclean and poor furniture
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Alexander-Withrow House and McCampbell Inn? Share your experiences!