“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Lexington
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Had a group of 50 people, youth and chaperones, Grace had everything prepared and ready for us. The hotel could not have been more accommodating. The hotel was clean and staff was very friendly. Breakfast was always plentiful (and cinnamon rolls never ran out!) I would recommend this hotel to anyone ~ they went above and beyond! They even took the time to dry our beach towels from the pool for us, so we could use them at the drive in movie that same night! A big thank you to Grace and all the staff at the Holiday Inn Express Lexington! :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thanks so much for the review. It certainly sounds like your group had a fun time. The drive-in is always a fun experience.
I'm glad Grace was able to assist you. We are so happy to have her a part of our family.
If you return to the Lexington area, I would be happy to assist with future reservations. Please contact me at cia@rbnet.com or 540-992-4077.
Again, thanks for staying with us and for the nice review.
Gary Purvis
VP of Operations
Dominion Lodging, Inc.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I recently was in the Lexington area traveling on business and was unable to get into the Hampton Inn as they were booked and the only Hilton property I'm aware of in the area. I visited several hotels in the area looking for accommodation when I came across your property. Although it's a little below the standards I typically look for, Ms. Grace with her warm and inviting personality sold me that this property would do for the evening. It appeared you were in the process of some renovations which I am always glad to see dated hotels having to improve the property. None the less, it was Ms. Grace and the staff that sold me and will have me to return if future travel brings me through the area again and the Hampton Inn is unable to accommodate. On a side note, had I visited TripAdvisor prior to stopping in, I would have chose not to after seeing the reviews. Not for the negative feedback from previous guests as being a frequent traveler I have learned that the majority of negative feedback comes from guests who just did not get their way and utilize TripAdvisor and other online forums as a tool to bash the hotel. It was disappointing the length of responses and amount of details from the general manager to a point it gives an impression either he has to have the last word or even worse an attempt to justify or coverup the hotels short comings. Just a thought for you to consider that sometimes a lengthy response appears to be justification when the majority of the reviews I read either didn't need one or could have been condensed and not look like a retaliation towards the guest writing it. Any person utilizing TripAdvisor for hotel research is smart enough to see negative reviews and understand the difference between a legitimate negative review and a cranky crabby guest. Ms. Grace had superb and professional customer service which sadly puts your comments/responses to shame. Truly no offense, just a perception how trades like myself view and perceive the management based on their comments. Thanks for a decent stay during my unexpected stay in Lexington and please let Ms. Grace know I appreciated her southern charm and hospitality after a long and frustrating day.

Room Tip: If you want a warm, southern welcoming..... Ask for Ms. Grace
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us and for the review. Ms. Grace is a sweetheart and loved by everyone. We are quite fortunate to have her a part of our family.
I will pass along your suggestions and perception of negative comments. Some times I guess we can go overboard in trying to get our side of the situation out there. I'm sure you are correct in being able to read through a legitimate concern and one that is over the top. Point taken!
We are in the process of making some changes at the hotel. That's the fun part of hotel management. It's constant change to keep up with ways to meet our guest's needs. If you have any suggestions on ways we can improve, please feel free to contact me at cia@rbnet.com or 540-992-4077.
I hope you will visit us again should you return to the Lexington area. Ms. Grace will be waiting!
Gary Purvis
VP of Operations
Dominion Lodging, Inc.
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

The hotel was overall dirty, it even smelled like garbage the when we arrived to check in (This was solved the net morning when we saw that during breakfast there were full trash bags being piled on the floor in the doorway between the dining room and the lobby). Our room also showed lack of maintenance/cleaning - remotes and phones looking dirty, poorly patched holes in the bathroom, an electric outlet pulling out from the wall.

The manager was supposed to contact us about these issues but never bothered to do so. We asked about speaking to the manager the following morning but were informed that he was "obviously off" since it was the weekend.

When trying to get a check out receipt there was then no one at the front desk, they were instead outside smoking and talking on the phone.

Avoid this hotel and go to the Wingate up the street, they are cleaner and have friendlier staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Tom O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I’m sorry that your stay was not enjoyable. However, I understand that you became dissatisfied prior to even entering your room. You had booked a 2 night stay online with a discounted pay-in –advance, non-refundable rate. You communicated to the front desk agent that you were no longer staying in the area both nights and would like to check out after 1 night and be refunded the remainder of the advance payment. The agent informed you that you would not be exempted from the terms of the reservation you had agreed to when you booked online.
You then proceeded to contact Holiday Inn Express guest relations to lodge the mentioned complaints against us. You complained that the breakfast bar was torn up and about an odor. We were in the process of upgrading our breakfast bar countertops that afternoon and the area was in disarray at the time of check in. However, the breakfast bar was completed and functioning without interruption the next morning. The only odor in the building was from the adhesive used to mount the new countertops. This had dissipated by late afternoon.
The front desk agent made 3 attempts to contact you after hearing about your issues from the guest relations department to no avail. Not once during your stay did you share your complaints directly with any of our staff or surely we could have addressed your concerns. When you checked out after your first night with the same agent you told at check in that you were only staying in the area one night, she assumed that what you had told her was accurate and that you understood the conditions of the reservation as she had previously explained. The desk agent who is the front desk supervisor or the Assistant General Manager who was also on property at the time would have been available to address any issues brought directly to our attention.
I understand that Intercontinental Hotel Group has issued you 15,000 points which is enough to spend a free night at many properties. I would like to invite any potential guests to contact me directly if there is any concern with this review. I would be happy to clarify the facts. Other previous guest comments may be useful to ascertain our dedication to providing hospitality to all of our guests as well. I may be reached at 540-463-7351 or hexpresslexington@yahoo.com. Tom Osella General Manager
Hopton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We checked into this hotel after driving 12 hours and having car trouble. Because of some graduation in town, the front desk clerk rudely refused to accept the discounted coupon from the Virginia Visitors Center. The price was more than double from the stated rate. My husband didn't want to be "taken" like that but I was so exhausted and worried about the car, we paid the excessive rate. We were given a room on the second floor and got in the elevator in the lobby with all our luggage on a luggage cart. Then Wanda tells us that the elevator is broken so we have to pull the cart to the other end of the hall and carry everything up the stairs by ourselves. We are both elderly people with serious medical issues. We pulled the cart to the stairs and were just starting to carry our things up the stairs when Wanda calls to us and says that the elevator is fixed. We pull the cart back again to the elevator, drag it inside and she realizes only the buttons light up but the elevator still does not work so guess what, we have to drag the cart back to the stairs again. And believe it or not, Wanda says nothing!!!!! No apology, no I'm sorry for making you push and pull the cart back and forth for nothing, no offer to have someone come and help us. The room was fine and the breakfast was ok but the price and the rude desk clerk made the stay here one of the worst that we (having traveled all over Europe and the US) have ever experienced.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JM P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I also apologize that you perceived our declining to take the promotional coupon as rude. Due to the extreme demand resulting from the college graduation in our town, we were not accepting this promotional coupon. The coupon books state that they may not be available during holidays or special events. Our pricing for the date of your stay reflected this high demand.

I also apologize for the trouble with the elevator. We had just had a false fire alarm and were having trouble getting the elevator reset from its safety mode where it comes down to the ground floor and opens. I am sorry that Wanda was not more empathetic or apologetic for the challenge the inoperable elevator posed. Certainly more could have been done to accommodate the situation. However, I am glad that you found the room and breakfast acceptable.

Again, I apologize that you were disappointed. If there is anything further I need to do to make things right with you, please feel free to contact me at 54-463-7351 or hexpresslexington@yahoo.com. Sincerely, Tom Osella General Manager
MAHOPAC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I spent one night there and was pleased with my accomodation. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very pleasant. I just had one slight problem the room that I was assigned was already occupied. It was resolved immediately.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Michelle M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad that you were pleased with the clean comfortable room and friendly staff. I apologize for the mix up with your assigned room but am glad it was corrected immediately. Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon. If there are any requests prior to a future stay with us, please feel free to contact me directly for assistance at 540-463-7351 or hexpresslexington@yahoo.com. Sincerely, Tom Osella
Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of May. Service was friendly, but the decor is extremely dated in both the public areas and the rooms. I stayed in a junior suite with a separate living space and only one air-conditioner in the main living room.

Unfortunately, we arrived home at 9 pm to find that the "fan" that blew cold air into our bedroom was broken. Nothing could be done as maintenance was gone, fans unavailable, and the hotel completely booked. Overall the situation was frustrating. Thankfully the AC blew very cold air and we made it through the night for the most part. The fan was fixed by noon the next day, and Susan at the front desk very eager to make the situation up to my satisfaction.

There is a very nice breakfast with several hot items, and the location is very close to W & L and VMI. Hopefully the hotel will be renovated soon.

Room Tip: Suites are not more much and have kitchenettes if you are looking to save money.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Tom O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I apologize that there was an issue with your fan during your stay. I am glad that we were able to correct it during your stay and that Susan was able to make things right with you while you were still at our property. I am glad that you were pleased with the service and our recently expanded breakfast. We are in the planning stages of a needed renovation and hope to have a "brand new" hotel for our guests within a year or so. Thank you again for your comments. If there is anything else I can do for you please feel free to call me at 540-463-7351 or email me at hexpresslexington@yahoo.com. Tom Osella, General Manager
Beckley, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

You will instantly feel like you are an old friend when you stop to stay here. Additionally the staff here will go out of their way to help ensure that you are comfortable and have everything you need to be productive.

Thanks

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Shawn S, Thank you for the great comments! We understand that it is our job to make sure "road warriors" like yourself have everything they need to stay efficient and productive while you are travelling. I am glad that our team helped you feel at home. We look forward to serving you again. If there is anything you need prior to your next visit, please feel free to call me personally at 540-463-7351. Tom Osella, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lexington? Share your experiences!