“A real diamond in the Shenandoah Valley” 4 of 5 stars
Review of House Mountain Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lexington
House Mountain Inn
455 Lonesome Dove Trail, Lexington, VA 24450   |
Ranked #7 of 20 Lexington B&B and Inns
Virginia
“A real diamond in the Shenandoah Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

The House mountain inn is a beautiful new hotel built outside of Lexington, VA in the breathtaking Shenandoah Valley. The name comes from the peak that the hotel is near, "House Mountain." House mountain is an awesome peak that you will not soon forget, especially if you see it in autumn.

The rooms are comfortable and spacious and, depending on your price range, have differing but enjoyable views. The Inn has a full service bar, restaurant, and activities you can engage in. You'll feel like your visiting old friends or family after your first meal.

My only recommendation would be for the Inn to increase their wait and bar staff, particularly wait staff who can talk to pairing or recommending wines with dinner.

If you're looking for a weekend get away, this is it.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
West Milford, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

Spent 2 glorious nights at House Mountain Inn. The view from the balcony was outstanding. The food was awesome and the innkeepers were the best. This was the first B & B I've ever been to that included dinner. Appetizer, entree and dessert. A hot tub on our private balcony was the perfect way to end the day.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

From the moment we pulled up the driveway we knew we found something special. The landscape and waterfalls were so unexpected and beautifully planned. Then we entered and it felt like a home - a gorgeous, cozy, huge and spectacular home all in one!

The mural is extraordinary, the chairs - all of them but especially the two facing the entrance - are comfortable and fantastically gorgeous. The animals on the walls could be off-putting but blended so well to the decor that it was actually quite right and added a kind of charm to the home. The fixtures (everywhere - dining, BR, mirrors) were incredible. Excellent taste in design. We loved the porch rockers and the layout of the whole house.

The food was wonderful - all homemade and a great menu. Service and owners were terrific - welcoming and accommodating; friendly, sweet and fun! We appreciated the 'happy hour' before dinner and met a nice other couple, also away for a retreat from the kids.

The bedroom was fantastic with heavenly sheets and linens and the hottub that was simple and functioning just right. Extremely comfortable bed too. On a final note, we enjoyed the walk to trail tower - what a great perk that was just the right bit of exercise for us with a fabulous view to enjoy at the top.

This place is top notch and we've come back to DC to recommend it to friends without hesitation. Thank you to the crew at House Mountain Inn!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Western N.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

My husband and I were looking for a one night stay on our way to northern Va that was romantic, but not over the top expensive. I am so glad we found this place. It is really off the beaten trail, but so worth it!! The inkeepers are all family and very friendly and gracious. Everything was deluxe, from the wine and cheese reception, to the delicious steak dinner, to the cooked to order breakfast. Although it looks expensive initially, the food and drink make it a good value. We felt very pampered. The bedroom and bath were huge and well appointed with comfy bathrobes included. It was not a typical B&B. It combined the individual attention of a B&B with the privacy of a motel. The facility is extremely gorgeous and beautifully decorated. I would not take my kids there b/c I consider it a romantic get away, but the inkeepers had lots of kids which led me to believe it must be child friendly. I would love to visit again for a longer stay. It was a splurge that was worth every penny!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We visit the Lexington area quite a lot and like to stay at different bed and breakfasts/inns/hotels. Found this one on tripadvisor and the reviews looked good, so decided to try it. The location is absolutely beautiful - have never stayed at a place that was so quiet (especially in the morning and evening) - no car traffic, planes flying overhead, or other sounds to disturb the tranquility. Only sounds of nature! This is something I especially appreciate, as I live on a busy street! Of course, it is a full service inn, so during our stay there was a large group gathered for a business meeting one day, which, of course made things less quiet, but for the most part, it is very peaceful!

The innkeepers are wonderful - especially Carrie, who was so helpful in making our stay enjoyable. She always had a warm smile and never seemed flustered or rushed, though I'm sure running an inn this size has to be overwhelming at times. The rest of the staff was also very friendly and helpful, no matter what our needs were.

The inn itself is beautiful, inside and out. Extremely clean with a warm, country ambience - lots of wood! We stayed in the White Rock Mountain room, which was on the second floor, had 2 queen beds, and an outdoor hot tub facing the back woods, which was very private. If we come back (which we probably will), I would love to book a suite, facing the front, which has a private deck with gorgeous mountain views.

The wine and cheese reception every evening is fantastic. It's a very nice way to meet other guests and relax. Breakfast is also included and we ate dinner there as well, which is extra. You could eat in Lexington, which is about a 15 minute drive from the inn, but it's nice relaxing at the inn, enjoying the fabulous views!

For me, Sunday morning was extraordinary, as I took a solo hike up the mountain to the tower (which they built and has a picnic table and rocking chairs - great spot for a picnic), and which overlooks the mountains and valley - an incredible view! It's about a
2 1/2 mile hike up - a bit strenous in some places (I would recommend hiking boots as some places are very slippery and steep), but SO peaceful - not a sound but cicadas and an occasional chipmunk or squirrel. As I said earlier, what I appreciate most about this place is the quiet and tranquility, and this hike definitely fit that picture! If you get a chance to do the hike it's definitely worth it - the views are fantastic! They also do ATV rides up to the tower, but for me, hiking was part of the whole experience - a great morning workout and very rewarding.

If there is anything I could say needed improvement, it would have to be the food service. The first night was wonderful as we ate outside under the newly constructed pavillion - we had our relatives with us that first night and really enjoyed being together in such a beautiful place. It was a bit cool, but not uncomfortable, and they had a fire going in the fireplace, which added to the ambience. The meal was delicious; the staff very friendly and attentive. The second night, my husband and I ate inside, which was also nice, but I was a bit disappointed in the meal - my "medium-well" steak was very overdone. However, they did take it back and brought another one, which was perfectly cooked medium. The next morning at breakfast, the "over-easy" eggs were also cooked too much, which they also quickly fixed. Dinner the last night was wonderful - I had the pasta and my husband had chicken, both cooked perfectly and very delicious. The only problem was the waitress, who seemed very stressed. We know they were a bit understaffed, but our feeling is that those who serve you should never show that they're stressed - it made us feel guilty for being served! She was very sweet, but needed to just relax - we were fine with waiting!

We are both early risers and enjoy a cup of fresh brewed coffee in the morning with cream or half and half. We appreciate that the staff gets that ready for the morning, but would recommend that half and half be available in the refrigerator - one morning it wasn't. This certainly isn't a big deal, but it's attention to details that are important to us. Again, once we requested something, it was always taken care of promptly and considerately, which we appreciated.

During our stay, we drove into Lexington on Saturday, when they happened to have "Rockbridge Community Day" - a country festival that went along Main Street, with lots of local vendors. The people are so friendly - we really enjoyed talking with many of them and buying things. The historic downtown area of Lexington is one of our favorite places! There are lots of quaint shops and restaurants as well as historic sites and two colleges - Washington and Lee University and Virginia Military Institute. Neat place.

All in all, House Mountain Inn is a beautiful place and we really enjoyed our stay. Except for those few things mentioned, it was a terrific experience. We know they were a bit understaffed when we were there, as some were on vacation, but, for the most part, they did a great job in making us feel welcome and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Bethpage, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

The House Mountain Inn is all that its website says it is and more! While the vista is magnificent, I've been there 3 or 4 different times, the one constant is the staff. My first visits were for dinner only and I can say I have never been disappointed. This last visit was to return for my daughter's wedding held there at the Inn. Everything was perfect....Jamie, Tim, Keri & Jeff go out of their way to help plan a memorable event and their attention to detail is only surpassed by their engaging and warm personalities. My family and I will definitely return again and I would encourage anyone looking for an intimate "destination" wedding to consider the House Mountain Inn. Diane Flood, Bethpage, NY

• Stayed August 2009
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

The inn was fantastic for an anniverary weekend or just a couples getaway. The included breakfast and dinner was excellent and you don't have to decide where to eat just walk downstairs. Secluded spot with spectacular views and even better views if you hike up the mountain, you can see for miles. Definitely recommended!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to House Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!