“Wonderful wedding venue” 5 of 5 stars
Review of House Mountain Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lexington
House Mountain Inn
455 Lonesome Dove Trail, Lexington, VA 24450   |
Ranked #8 of 20 Lexington B&B and Inns
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Wonderful wedding venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I attended a wedding at the House Mountain Inn with many other friends. We attended the rehearsal dinner and the actual wedding and reception the next day. We did not stay overnight at House Mountain Inn, so this is a review of the wedding venue, not for overnight lodging. (Although many wedding guests DID stay at the Inn, and they all had good things to say.)

The Inn is located about 15 minutes from Lexington. The building is beautiful and the setting is beautiful. The Inn staff were great. Everything was just right. The food was excellent. Everyone had a great time. I highly recommend the House Mountain Inn for a wedding or other large event.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our son and his lovely bride just celebrated their wedding at the House Mountain Inn. The venue was beautiful. The staff delightful, helpful, and attentive. The rooms were well appointed...and I LOVED my outdoor, private hot-tub.

I have Celiac Disease...which means I am gluten-free by necessity, not choice. Traveling and dining out are always a little tricky...but not at the House Mountain Inn. They fed me three dinners and three breakfasts...with nary a mishap. (We had the Rehearsal dinner there as well.)

I found the cost to be extremely reasonable, as well. My husband and I will certainly be returning, so we have more time to enjoy the natural beauty of the setting, the hiking trails, and all the amenities.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here right after our recent wedding for two nights. We're not terribly social people so we decided to rent the cabin at House Mountain Inn instead of one of the rooms. The cabin is about 3 or so miles away from the Inn, on the other side of the mountain (still on the property, but not within walking distance). The cabin is HUGE! It can sleep 12 (4 sets of bunk beds and a queen bed), has a fully functioning kitchen and dining area, a back porch with tables, a front porch with rockers and beautiful views. It's very quiet back there and quite a bit of a hike up a steep gravel hill. If you want privacy and total silence, you definitely get it here!

The Inn itself is absolutely gorgeous! Very welcoming and cozy. We had breakfast there two days and the three course dinner one night and all three meals were delicious! The dining area has huge windows that overlook the beautiful property. I must have commented to my husband about 30 times about how pretty it was.

I would definitely go back to House Mountain Inn because I would love to stay in the actual Inn itself. I'd go back to the cabin again too, but next time I'd take more people because it's kind of lonely when there are just two of you. LOL.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Franklin, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I made reservations here on a whim for our anniversary. Having never stayed here I did not know what to expect. This place is way off the beaten path but what a pleasant surprise. The drive up to the place is on a narrow, paved road that goes up, up, up a mountain. You begin to wonder where you are headed and then before you know it, the woods give way to a beautiful lodge style cabin in the mountains. Upon entering, there is a large stone fireplace with a rustic feel. The outside landscaping is very nice. It has a small fishing pond and some other nice water features. The place was booked solid for the weekend but we felt as if we had the place to ourselves. Our room was nice and had a fireplace and hot tub on the deck. We had dinner in the restaurant and I had the Alfredo with shrimp and my husband had the quail which he claims is the best restaurant meal he has had in years! All staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They have really nice mugs for sale which we decided to bring home. It is a great place to go for peace and quiet. We only stayed overnight so I cannot speak for any activities as I think they are somewhat limited but for pure rest and relaxation, this place is fantastic! Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My son and new daughter-in-law recently got married at the House Mountain Inn and had the reception at the "sister venue" the Irvine Estate. The setting was absolutely gorgeous! Jamie and Carrie, the wedding facilitators, were very accommodating and highly efficient. The wedding party and immediate family stayed in the comfortable and well designed guest rooms at the inn and estate home. The food for the rehearsal dinner and reception was excellent and the inn guests enjoyed a tasty and relaxing breakfast Sat and Sun mornings. Jamie made sure no detail was overlooked and was extremely helpful in making sure every aspect of my son and his wife's dream wedding was achieved. One hundred and fifty wedding guests were in awe of this beautiful and fun wedding venue.

Room Tip: The front facing rooms at the Irvine Estate have amazing and beautiful views of the mountains and va...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

How often have you found yourself sitting at your computer, your back hurts, you're tired, and you're thinking about how long your commute will be today? It's at those moments where I often find myself wishing I was away from all the hustle and bustle, and instead out in the country relaxing and enjoying life! With this said, I think I've found a great place to do the latter...I recently stayed at the House Mountain Inn for a wedding, and found myself compelled to share how much I enjoyed my stay with everyone. Sometimes I find myself being long winded so if you don't wish to read the entire review, I'll break down the highlights below.

On your way to the Inn, you may find youself thinking "where am I going, and when will I get there!?" However, once you are there you will realize it is well worth the drive. Upon making it to the Inn, you are immediately greeted with the expansive views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. After taking in the view, and breathing in the fresh air, I noticed something....the fact that all I could hear was the sound of a creek running along the back end of the front parking lot; there were no cars, horns, or lawn mowers for miles around! Upon walking inside, one automatically gets the feeling that you relax, and kick your feet up anywhere throughout the Inn.
Although I can't speak for all of the rooms, I was able to see not only the room I stayed in, The Stonewall Room, but also I believe the Small Mountain room (though I'll have to check to make sure). Both rooms were very large, including big comfortable beds and large bathrooms. The Stonewall room, which I was told is brand new, and which is in the downstairs, includes a large jacuzzi bath and a fire place, and the Small Mnt. room included a hot tub on the back deck!
While staying at the Inn, one has a variety of in door and out door activities to choose from on the property. If for some reason you choose to stay inside, all of the rooms have televisions. Additionally, the Inn is stocked with a large number for board games which are downstairs near the kitchen.
For those of you wishing to explore, the Inn offers fishing, hiking trails and a variety of other activities.
Everyone morning at 0830Hrs we were met with a large breakfast usually consisting of sausage, home fries or potatoes, waffles/pancakes, fruit, and of course coffee! The food was always hot, and refilled often!
Last but not least I feel as though it is important to mention the generous staff. I hope you will excuse my being aweful with names, but everyone at the Inn was extremely polite, professional, friendly and more than willing to assist with any question/concern. Thank you for helping make our stay so enjoyable!

Some of the Highlights:
LOCATION: 4/5- Personally I think it should be a 5/5 but it is kind of secluded and therefore can be a haul to get to.
STAFF: 5/5: Professional, helpful, friendly.
COUPLES: 5/5
KIDS: 3/5- If you're in to being outdoors, you can def. find something to be entertained, but there's not a whole lot geared towards kids.
ROOMS: 4/5-Large comfortable beds, large rooms. Check out the website etc. to see which ameneties are in each room.
CLEANLINESS: 5/5- No issues at all.
VALUE: 4/5-You get a lot for your money, but it is a little pricey.
EXTRA CREDIT: Check out historic Lexington, VA. Take the ghost tour, carriage rides, check out VMI and Washington and Lee as well as the historic houses the town has to offer.
If you're up for a little bit of a longer ride check out the Drive-In-Iron Man 3 showed on the movies opening night! ( for more info check out my review). And don't forget the Natural Bridge!

I hope this helps you out, and that you enjoy your stay as much as we did!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I've been there twice. I've had the luxury of staying there once with my parents and another time with my parents and my husband. My parents from Maine have been there many times before, and I can see why!

The customer service goes above and beyond the call of duty to take care of our needs! We were well taken care of!! Trust me. It's not always easy to satisfy my mother as she is very picky.

The upkeep of the inn was fantastic! There is a wonderful view. The grounds were picture perfect. I must have taken hundreds of photos in the inside and outside of the inn. Even in the dreary rain, the grounds, the scenery, and the inside are amazing.

The lobby as you enter the inn is incredible. It has a welcoming rustic, cozy feel that makes you not to leave. On sunny warm days, you may wish to relax on the porch to enjoy the mountain view.

You can also get a sense of family as there are game boards and puzzles in the lobby. There is a big kitchen area with coffee, tea water and soda. My parents, husband and I love that feature!

The rooms are extremely comfortable. It usually takes me hours to get to sleep at my own bed at home, yet I've manage to get some of the best nights of sleep that I've ever had. I'd highly recommend a room with a fireplace and an outdoor jacuzzi as they have a romantic feel.

The wine and cheese is another feature that is well worth it, and the breakfast and the dinner was delicious!

I don't have one complaint about the inn. My only regret is that we had to go home. I'll definitely stay there again with my husband, and I know my parents are already planning their next visit.

Thank you to the House Mountain Inn family for allowing guests to stay at an inn with a breathtaking view, a family atmosphere where the Irvine family smiles every single day, and the opportunity to relax your stresses away!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to House Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!