“Away from the Hustle and Bustle!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of House Mountain Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lexington
House Mountain Inn
Save Saved
You added House Mountain Inn to your Saves list
455 Lonesome Dove Trail, Lexington, VA 24450   |
Ranked #9 of 21 Lexington B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Away from the Hustle and Bustle!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

How often have you found yourself sitting at your computer, your back hurts, you're tired, and you're thinking about how long your commute will be today? It's at those moments where I often find myself wishing I was away from all the hustle and bustle, and instead out in the country relaxing and enjoying life! With this said, I think I've found a great place to do the latter...I recently stayed at the House Mountain Inn for a wedding, and found myself compelled to share how much I enjoyed my stay with everyone. Sometimes I find myself being long winded so if you don't wish to read the entire review, I'll break down the highlights below.

On your way to the Inn, you may find youself thinking "where am I going, and when will I get there!?" However, once you are there you will realize it is well worth the drive. Upon making it to the Inn, you are immediately greeted with the expansive views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. After taking in the view, and breathing in the fresh air, I noticed something....the fact that all I could hear was the sound of a creek running along the back end of the front parking lot; there were no cars, horns, or lawn mowers for miles around! Upon walking inside, one automatically gets the feeling that you relax, and kick your feet up anywhere throughout the Inn.
Although I can't speak for all of the rooms, I was able to see not only the room I stayed in, The Stonewall Room, but also I believe the Small Mountain room (though I'll have to check to make sure). Both rooms were very large, including big comfortable beds and large bathrooms. The Stonewall room, which I was told is brand new, and which is in the downstairs, includes a large jacuzzi bath and a fire place, and the Small Mnt. room included a hot tub on the back deck!
While staying at the Inn, one has a variety of in door and out door activities to choose from on the property. If for some reason you choose to stay inside, all of the rooms have televisions. Additionally, the Inn is stocked with a large number for board games which are downstairs near the kitchen.
For those of you wishing to explore, the Inn offers fishing, hiking trails and a variety of other activities.
Everyone morning at 0830Hrs we were met with a large breakfast usually consisting of sausage, home fries or potatoes, waffles/pancakes, fruit, and of course coffee! The food was always hot, and refilled often!
Last but not least I feel as though it is important to mention the generous staff. I hope you will excuse my being aweful with names, but everyone at the Inn was extremely polite, professional, friendly and more than willing to assist with any question/concern. Thank you for helping make our stay so enjoyable!

Some of the Highlights:
LOCATION: 4/5- Personally I think it should be a 5/5 but it is kind of secluded and therefore can be a haul to get to.
STAFF: 5/5: Professional, helpful, friendly.
COUPLES: 5/5
KIDS: 3/5- If you're in to being outdoors, you can def. find something to be entertained, but there's not a whole lot geared towards kids.
ROOMS: 4/5-Large comfortable beds, large rooms. Check out the website etc. to see which ameneties are in each room.
CLEANLINESS: 5/5- No issues at all.
VALUE: 4/5-You get a lot for your money, but it is a little pricey.
EXTRA CREDIT: Check out historic Lexington, VA. Take the ghost tour, carriage rides, check out VMI and Washington and Lee as well as the historic houses the town has to offer.
If you're up for a little bit of a longer ride check out the Drive-In-Iron Man 3 showed on the movies opening night! ( for more info check out my review). And don't forget the Natural Bridge!

I hope this helps you out, and that you enjoy your stay as much as we did!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I've been there twice. I've had the luxury of staying there once with my parents and another time with my parents and my husband. My parents from Maine have been there many times before, and I can see why!

The customer service goes above and beyond the call of duty to take care of our needs! We were well taken care of!! Trust me. It's not always easy to satisfy my mother as she is very picky.

The upkeep of the inn was fantastic! There is a wonderful view. The grounds were picture perfect. I must have taken hundreds of photos in the inside and outside of the inn. Even in the dreary rain, the grounds, the scenery, and the inside are amazing.

The lobby as you enter the inn is incredible. It has a welcoming rustic, cozy feel that makes you not to leave. On sunny warm days, you may wish to relax on the porch to enjoy the mountain view.

You can also get a sense of family as there are game boards and puzzles in the lobby. There is a big kitchen area with coffee, tea water and soda. My parents, husband and I love that feature!

The rooms are extremely comfortable. It usually takes me hours to get to sleep at my own bed at home, yet I've manage to get some of the best nights of sleep that I've ever had. I'd highly recommend a room with a fireplace and an outdoor jacuzzi as they have a romantic feel.

The wine and cheese is another feature that is well worth it, and the breakfast and the dinner was delicious!

I don't have one complaint about the inn. My only regret is that we had to go home. I'll definitely stay there again with my husband, and I know my parents are already planning their next visit.

Thank you to the House Mountain Inn family for allowing guests to stay at an inn with a breathtaking view, a family atmosphere where the Irvine family smiles every single day, and the opportunity to relax your stresses away!

• Stayed May 2013
California, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I recently stayed a the Mountain House Inn for my friends wedding. There truly was no detail forgotten when decorating or designing the inn; it truly was a wonderful mountain getaway. The staff was over the top amazing. They were exteremly polite and friendly. We enjoyed a Wine & Cheese event, Wedding Rehersal & Dinner, plus the Wedding & Reception. The food at both events was absolutely amazing! Bravo to the House Mountain Inn!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side of the Inn had the best views of the valley & mountains; however the roo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was a wonderful find and amazing place. The views are stunning if you like the Virginia mountains. The rooms are large with fireplace and hot tub; most importantly they are constructed so that there is no noise at night so sleeping is easy. The owners are gracious and helpful. The food is very, very good and the owner, who is the cook, does a fabulous job in preparation. Assuming that any of the food is prepackaged and then putting that in writing is foolish and irresponsible. If it was prepackaged, then tell me where to find it because it is better than most five star hotels in which I have stayed. If you want a quiet, simple but luxurious place to stay in the mountains of Virginia near a historic town, then this is the place. It is no more expensive that a hotel downtown where there is lots of noise but so much better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Warrenton, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We visited House Mountain Inn on a trip of B&Bs in Virginia. This was our splurge as it was very expensive but we decided it sounded so unusual and nice, that it was worth it. We were sorely disappointed. At first glance, the Inn and property are absolutely gorgeous. When we arrived, the owner provided us wine on the house and that was a very nice touch. Here is where things fell short.

We were the only guests for the night in this Inn and opted for the cheapest room (although still $$). We were in the handicap room with no hot tub which I think is one of the few without it. Now, with the rest of the Inn being completely open, what harm would it have been to get an upgrade? It would have been absolutely no cost to the owners. This was our first big disappointment. Just showed us poor customer service.

Next, the 'included' meal. We had dinner on-site as many others here have indicated and we were with one other local couple from Lexington. The owner was also the chef and waiter which got us thinking...how is this food fresh? In fact, we are nearly certain that it was all prepackaged food in the way it tasted and how it was delivered. Considering the cost of this place and the automatic 20% gratuity that was added, it just didn't add up. I don't know if this is always the norm or if it was just a slow night so not worth it to hire staff, but I don't pay hundreds of dollars for a microwave dinner.

Again, the facilities are breathtaking. It's straight out of Montana's Big Sky. But I think management needs to learn a thing or two.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful night at House Mountain Inn. We were warmly greeted, shown how to use everything in our room, and then invited down to the Pub for free wine and cheese. Met some interesting people and enjoyed the wine and conversations. Diviner was included in our price and it was a 3 course meal. I loved my scallops, and fish. My husband felt his food was over salty. Desserts were simple but ample. Breakfast was delicious, give this venue a shot it won't disappoint.

Room Tip: Get a room with an out door jacuzzi
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had heard several good recommendations for the House Mountain Inn. I can say that I was more than impressed. When we arrived our hostess welcomed us to this beautiful, rustic inn, showed us to our room and pointed out all our amenities. We had wine and cheese in the afternoon followed by a hike up to the lookout tower. The views were wonderful. After our hike, we were served a delicious 3 course dinner. We were so full from dinner that our friendly waitress placed our desserts and coffee on a tray so that we could eat them later. The hot tub was a great way to relax after dinner also. The stars were out and added an extra bonus to an already wonderful night. I have been to several bed and breakfasts and this one ranks as one of my favorites. The hosts were friendly and made you feel so welcome. I hated to leave. I hope to return again, possibly with friends, to share such a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: There are pictures of the rooms online
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to House Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!