“Great find!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located one mile from downtown historic Lexington, Virginia, Cafe Michel is a mix of American cuisine with a French accent. In a casual but elegant relaxed atmosphere, French Chef Michel Galand and wife, Carmen Galand offers local produce, beef, fish and lamb. Fresh seafood is offered for your enjoyment. Chef Michel creates specials daily. Reservations accepted but not required. Casual attire.
Lyman, Wyoming
“Great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We arrived right at 5:00 when they were opening for dinner. Great southern hospitality and very good food! The chef came out and visited with each table at some point. We had appetizers, dinner and dessert and all of us were pleased with our choices. We would definitely go back!

Visited January 2014

Norfolk, Virginia
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We have recently found this terrific restaurant. We have eaten there 4 times in the last 6 months and have reached the point that we know each meal will be terrific, whether we select the filet mignon, the portofino, the fresh trout or any special. The sauce never overpowers the meal and the ingredients are always fresh. Even when it comes to desserts, we have gotten to the point where we tell the excellent staff "I trust you. Bring me what you think." I highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
sterling, va
“Something must be different”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Something must have changed since all these rave reviews.

We dined here on our first night out in Lexington. Our server was wonderful. She handled a lot of tables, and was attentive, courteous, and friendly. No qualms, whatsoever.

Another girl brought us a bread basket. The bread had once been a baguette, that someone had attempted to slice. It was completely mashed and barely recognizable. I wish we had taken a picture. It was comical.

The app / salad were OK. Nothing special. For dinner, I had the filet, and hubby the lamb, on the server's recommendation. Both proteins were cooked very well and were delicious. The sides were OK. We split a dessert, a chocolate cake with 'English sauce'. The English sauce was not good. It was, in fact, very bad. The cake was OK.

Bottom line... experience was just OK. I give the server and protein 4 stars. The rest of the food was 'meh'. The atmosphere was very dark and outdated. There was an 'old' smell to the building, and not in a 'charming way'. Also seemed that most clientele was on the 'older side'. I am also worried that they applied to be on Kitchen Nightmares. I didn't see that until we were leaving. It's a framed rejection letter in the lobby by the bathrooms.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Blackstone, Virginia
“Delicious meals!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We have dined in many of the Lexington restaurants and this one rates in my top 2. Everything that we had was delicious and well priced. The staff was friendly and very accommodating (I had made a reservation for a larger group than had shown up). I would definitely recommend this restaurant, but I do think you should make reservations if dining there on a Sat. night. They were busy!!!!
PS-We had 5 entrees, 5 drinks (one from the bar), and 3 desserts and the bill was $140. Quite reasonable for the portions and the quality of food. The portofino was DEEEELISH!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
McLean, VA
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here last week. The service and food were excellent. They have a very nice wine list that is fairly priced. Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant. Most certainly the best place to dine in the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere