“A gem of accommodations and hosts! Convenient location in Lexington, VA near VMI.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Frog Hollow Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lexington
Frog Hollow Bed and Breakfast
492 Greenhouse Road, Lexington, VA 24450   |
Ranked #3 of 20 Lexington B&B and Inns
East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My mom and I really enjoyed our stay here on June 30, 2013 while bringing my son to VMI all the way from Michigan. Thank you John and David for the warm welcome, comfortable accommodations, delicious gourmet breakfast and great conversation! We'll be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Garden Room. It was lovely!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hosts John and David were helpful in recommending a restaurant, the Southern Inn, for a delicious meal that lived up to their billing. Their inn was quiet, the bed comfy, and breakfast great. Extra credit goes to them for setting up their Comcast On Demand so I could watch the season finale of "Mad Men".

Room Tip: All rooms have a private bath, however I stayed in the Cottage Room which has its own bath across th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Clean room, excellent meal, close to interstate. I will stay again! This place was recommended by my dad and I stayed one night to help break up a long trip. I can't say much about touristy type activities b/c I was just looking for a clean, safe place to stay. It was perfect for the single traveler who just needed to pop in and pop out in the am.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hampton, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Our first visit at a bed and breakfast, John and David have set the standard for others to follow. Well appointed, attractive and clean beyond belief. An excellent location for visiting VMI, W&L, horse events or fall foliage viewing. Breakfast was perfect. John and David are customer oriented and know how to provide for their guests. I'm sorry we didn't discover Frog Hollow four years ago when we began making regular trips to Lexington.

Room Tip: There are not bad rooms to worry about.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

There is not much more to add what others have already stated. However, let me try to offer some comments that others have not added. Note: if I could, I would score this at 4.5 stars based on following:

First, the location is fantastic. It is a few miles outside of the charming downtown along an idyllic rural road. My partner and I stayed at this place this past weekend for bicycling. The location could not have been more ideal.

Second, the innkeepers are incredibly generous and professional. From the moment we arrived, we knew we were well taken care of. John and David even went so far as to reserve a restaurant in advance for us when we arrived the first evening, assuming correctly that we had not done so, and it was better to cancel a reservation than to find oneself without a good place to eat. The selected restaurant (Southern Inn) was a good choice.

Third, the place itself is quite beautiful. It's a well restored Victorian. The room we rented was well furnished, including an antique bed frame coupled with an excellent queen mattress set. Its bathroom was fine. Room was quiet and luxurious.

Fourth, the inn keepers are savvy enough to tend to all of the subtle points in managing the place. This includes having sweets and beverages easily available. While there was nothing like home made cookies or wine available, these folks are very generous and thoughtful with guests.

Fifth, the breakfasts were excellent. We stayed two nights and had the treat to enjoy the cooking of both David and John. They diplomatically ascertained upon our arrival that we did not eat red meat and favored vegetarian cuisine. They easily accommodated our dietary preferences with two excellent breakfasts. The first featured an omelet with a lightly breaded fried zucchini spear, a fried potato variation and local bread with apple butter for the offering. The second breakfast included a delightful twist on french toast with incredible veggie sausages (I can be quite cynical on these types of veggie substitutes, but these sausages were excellent).

Sixth, the inn keepers were quite accommodating of us as their guests. This was true from the point we established contact in making the reservation to the time we left. Special VIP treatment included accommodation for our bicycles, use of the kitchen/refrigerator to cook a potluck meal with friends who were staying elsewhere in town, and serving of second breakfast one hour before normal time to accommodate our schedule.

Seventh, John and David are just fantastic people in general. I have no problem transferring my hard earned income to these folks. They truly are generous in caring for others, be it guests, stray cats, a lonely VMI cadet, local merchants, etc. It is no surprise that their relationship with each other is going on 28 years strong.

OK, these are the things that make any B&B excellent. Here are two areas where improvement hopefully will happen with this inn. First, at some point, they should invest in a larger water heater. On our second day there, we returned from a long bicycling rid. My partner went to take a shower apparently shortly after another set of guests in another room had the same idea. She ended up with no hot water. When it was my turn, she tipped me off, and I waited about 10-15 minutes before even trying. My shower had a glorious amount of hot water. Second, the WIFI reception was spotty in our room. Sometimes, reception worked. Other times, it did not. This was a bit of a hassle, particularly since cell phone reception also is spotty in general in the Lexington area, including our room in this B&B.

Finally, neither positive or negative, I would say the place is priced right. We had several choices in our price range when we began scouting for a place to stay, and we picked this place based on its amenities. After all is said and done, we'd go back here in a moment's flash.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a beautiful home with gracious and fabulous hosts! John and David know how to treat their guests and make them feel right at home. Frog Hollow is a charming B&B! The house and rooms are beautifully decorated and our Garden Room was inviting, comfortable, clean, and felt like home. John and David go out of their way to make you feel like old friends - from the warm welcome, to the fabulous breakfasts and tips of things to do in the area. They went out of their way to get us into one of their favorite restaurants and it was one of the most wonderful dining experiences that I have had in quite a while. We would highly recommend this B&B to anyone looking for a place to stay in Lexington. We would go back to Lexington just to see John and David and have another Frog Hollow experience. It was a perfect weekend!
Thank you David and John!
Tim and Melinda

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Look no further in Lexington for a lovely, warm, charming place to stay! Upon arrival, we found out that they upgraded our reservation to their lovely Tolley suite. Wow!! Breakfast was fabulous and John and David are certainly gracious hosts. We will be back! Was an awesome weekend for us!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Frog Hollow Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!