“Pleasant Stay in a beautiful area” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #6 of 17 hotels in Lexington
Berlin
“Pleasant Stay in a beautiful area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Lexington Virginia is in the heart of some beautiful landscape and forests that - especially in autumn when the leaves begin to turn - make for a wonderful experience. But there are also several institutions of higher learning in the immediate area that add an element of flair to the 'back roads' of Virginia. There are few hotels, but the West Western certainly is a good choice with its spacious and clean rooms at reasonable prices. The complimentary breakfast buffet provides something for every appetite.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

My well-traveled family was returned to our hometown of Lexington to bury my grandmother. A relative had booked this motel because of its rates. Given the stress of the occasion, we needed lodging that would alleviate issues, not cause them.

But, upon our trying to check in, the woman behind the counter practically argued with my mother about when she'd been expected to check in. The employee was wrong, but seemed intent on arguing the point with my mother. When we got to our rooms, my mother's unit's A/C was busted, and it took an hour for the staff to realize: 1) their recommendation to adjust a thermostat didn't apply to her room because there wasn't one, and 2) maybe they should leave the office to see about the room themselves.

Another hour was wasted persuading them to address my door's latch, which wouldn't work because it had been improperly installed, and the electronic key to my room, which had deactivated. The keys to my aunt and uncle's room deactivated an hour or so later, as well.

The office staff moved my mother to my original room, whose A/C worked and assigned me another room -- whose A/C seemed equally nonexistent. I followed the staff's instructions to adjust the thermostat and resolved to see how cool the room would be when I returned about five hours later.

After going to a restaurant with family, I returned to my still-muggy hotel room. I was tired and was about to just suck it up and stay in the sweltering room the night before the funeral, when I turned down the sheets of a bed to discover what appeared to be old urine stains on the linen by the pillow. I couldn't believe it, so I snapped a picture.

I then quickly gathered my luggage and left. The guy working the counter seemed unsurprised that someone was checking out the same day they'd checked in. I found superior lodging for a great price at another inn. It provided just the hospitality and respite from a difficult time that anyone in our situation would have expected in an inn.

Best Western Lexington Inn is poorly maintained. Its management must be clueless to allow the conditions my family encountered. The staffers seemed ill-suited for dealing with the public. And, to add insult to injury, one of my cousins was actually incorrectly charged at a higher rate than what had been secured through the reservations.

Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

If this had been the first time I stayed at a Best Western, I would NEVER stay at any property from that chain again. This hotel is obviously an old property, and has not been renovated for at least 20 years. The room looked shabby, the wallpaper peeling, the room REEKED of Febreze, or some sort of fragrance they put there to cover up odors. The mattresses were too firm, the heat/AC too loud and the thermostat control does not do an adequate job of regulating temp. It was either too hot or too cold the entire time we were there. The "continental breakfast" was pretty typical of hotels in this price point, meaning pretty bad. The door to our room stuck constantly, which made it tough to get in and out, and also you had to slam the door in order to close it. Which meant that we heard doors slamming all day and night, because the other rooms are the same way. The Wi-Fi is a joke! I couldn't stay connected for more than 5 minutes before losing the signal. It didn't matter what time of day it was, right in the middle of what I was doing online, I'd lose the signal. The front desk said I must be doing something wrong, but I know better. Other reviews have said it has something to do with the Holiday Inn Express right next door, so that may be the case.

OK, so not EVERYTHING was awful. The fridge in the room was the best I have ever had in a hotel room, and kept our beverages very cold. Also, the shower was surprisingly nice, with good, strong water pressure and plenty of hot water.

My advice to Best Western and the owners of this property? RENOVATE!!!!! You have too much competition in the area to keep such a run-down establishment.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

We have been staying in motels as we travel back and forth to Fl for the winters for 6 years and often take small side trips on our way home, so have stayed in many differnt areas along the east coast. We have had some pretty bad experiences with motels. Well this one was a real treat.We Happened upon it l after spending a few days visiting charleston SC. Picked it because we had a coupon from one of the books you pick up at interstate rest areas. What a pleasant surprise this one was . It is "super clean" and the staff "very friendly", which is something we don't find very often. Nice furnishings and beds were very plush and comfortable . The fron desk service and breakfast buffet was definitely above average. Hope we get a chance to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Just wound up at this hotel as we were traveling home, and this was the point we decided to get off the Interstate and get some sleep for the night. We didn't have reservations, and checked in around 10PM. The room was very refreshing when you walked in, smelled clean, and was very well maintained. Lots of nice touches. Great quality linens and towels, and abundant and fluffy pillows. Can't really complain about anything in the room at all. Almost wish I had to spend more than just a few hours of one night there, as I would have been thrilled if this was the hotel I was staying at for a few nights at a destination. Plenty of food around, in fact you can walk right next door to the Applebees, which we did.
Had to initial a few waivers that I promise not to smoke in the room (wasn't planning to in a no smoking room), or responsible if I broke anything (also wasn't planning to damage anything haha), and that there would be a fine if I brought in a pet (I didn't plan too). Never really had to sign stuff like that at most other hotels, but perhaps they had problems with that stuff in the past. But once I saw the room, I could understand why they did it, as obviously whoever owns the place does have pride in ownership, and I guess are just trying to keep it nice, so can't knock them for that.
The desk staff could have been a little friendlier at check out, but it's not that they were unfriendly, just a little short. But we left pretty early in the morning, so guess I shouldn't complain about that either...
All in all, it was a great experience. Would definitely stay there again, if I ever wound up having to spend the night in the Lexington area again. One of the noticeably cleanest rooms I have been in, in this sort of range of hotel. Great place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

This was the worst stay I could ever remember . The staff was not friendly at all , I would walk by and try to make conversation and the staff would act like they didnt even hear me . Never again would I stay here . The rooms were cold because the heat did not work properly they did offer to change my room but the next one was the same. Dust around the wall frames, dead bugs in the drawers it was just straight up nasty!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Columbia, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. Still find the hotel to be quite satisfactory. Quite clean with an excellant mattress and smoke free room. No noise from the other rooms, but insulation may be lacking as room became quite cold with heater off for the night (from the 70s down to the 50s). As another guest noted the window type heater/AC units in any motel tend to be quite noisy, so we prefer to sleep with them off. Bed coverings are adequate to keep warm. Putting a heat lamp in the bathrooms would be a welcome addition. Family restaurant on hill next to hotel has reasonable adequate meals. Use the coupons in the travel coupon books for a great rate at this motel. Wireless Internet reception not too good.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Lexington Inn? Share your experiences!