“Bad Smell” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Lexington
Virginia
“Bad Smell”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

This was not a great experience. This wasn't the worst place I've ever been, but if I had a choice, I would find another option. When we got off the elevator to go to our room, we were overtaken by the smell of cat urine. Luckily, the smell was not in our room, but it may have been in other rooms close to the elevator. When we told the front dest about the smell, we were told that they would go and "spray" the area. I guess they thought that air freshener would resolve the problem. I also had to kill a couple of bugs in the room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Lexington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

I was here for just one night. The room I requested was not the room I got, but the staff changed it no problem. The front desk staff didn't really seem to care I was there - no "welcome" or anything like that. Went through the motions - efficient, but not very welcoming. No big deal. The room was fine - clean and roomy. The beds were way too soft for my liking and I didn't like the huge pillows. I didn't sleep real well. Someone else may find this just fine, but not me. My biggest beef was the incredibly lousy breakfast. Not that I went there for the free breakfast, but this place should just give up if that's the extent of the effort they put into it. The quality of the items was really poor. Worst yet, I don't know what month the coffee was made but it wasn't from a recent month. You are better off heading across the highway to Waffle House, or better yet, head downtown and find a nice welcoming coffee house for breakfast. It'll cost, but you'll be better off. So long story short, I'd think twice about staying here again, but on balance, you could probably do a lot worse. I just wish the Hampton Inn - ColAlto wasn't so darn expensive.....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

Front desk staff was very nice and beds were comfortable. We had planned to stay 2 nights at the hotel. The first night the roof in our room leaked and the carpet was wet. The next morning we were moved to a room across the hall. We moved our bags to the new room and left for the day. We never sat on the beds or used the bathroom. At 3pm we returned to the hotel because or plans had changed and we need to check out. The owner informed us that he would have to charge us a cleaning fee for the room, $39, a room all we had done was move our bags into (a rate of about $10 per hour past the checkout time). This seem really unfair. I was willing to pay something for our late check out, but half a nights rental after having to relocate rooms because of the roof leak didn't seem right. The night before the hotel may have had 10 of it's 85 rooms rented. Also, the fitness room was a joke. The tread mill would not change it's incline, the weight machine didn't work and the water cooler was empty. Breakfast was stale and very limited. All in all a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Allentown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

Room was ok, but the shampoo in the shower was opened and never replaced. Internet connection was weak. The breakfast was horrible. Orange was disgusting, bad taste looked watered down. 1 coffee. Dont know if it was regular or decaf. Either way just one.
No spray for the waffle maker. Cereal selection was pathetic. 2 kinds . fruit looked old and the milk was empty. Should I keep going , the only person they had working the breakfast area was also working the front desk. Tables werent getting cleaned, thing weren't getting refilled.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

We've stayed at a few places on this exit of 81, and this has, by far, been our favorite. Liked the Econo Lodge, but this is better because it feels safer since the room doors are not directly exposed to the outside and parking lot. Comfortable, clean and safe. They offer a AAA discount. If you stop by late at night, you may be able to negotiate a lower rate.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We originally checked into a nearby historic hotel but when my daughter jumped on the bed and the dust flew, we quickly checked out. Fortunately we found refuge at the Wingate. The room rate was low for the amenities and the service. My daughters called the hotel "fancy" (although that may have been an overstatement). I was happy to find a clean hotel, friendly staff, a good breakfast, and a good value.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

The room was clean and was well kept although the bathroom was a little worn. The mattresses are on the soft side but not uncomfortably so. The complimentary breakfast was on the lower end of standard comp fair for this price point but sufficient (waffle maker, instant oatmeal,fruit cocktail, bagels, english muffins, sausage patties & egg patties). Many of the rooms probably have a nice mountain view. Our room, 206, had only a terrible view of the roof of the pool but since we were only staying the night we didn't request a change.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Lexington? Share your experiences!